bigvic67

Reaction score
"Thank you Mr. Lawell, i look forward to seeing you next week. I'm glad we could strike a deal."

The deal was sealed, I was to become the new manager of Celtic Football Club. My bhoyhood hero's. As we shook hand's in agreement I left the room with a massive grin on my face. I thought i had been imagining things. I had no experience in management, or professional football for that matter, but I owe Mr. Lawell a huge debt for giving me the opportunity. The Celtic job comes with a huge pressure from fans and media, something previous manager Neil Lennon could handle very well, but when your greatest rivals fans start an attack on you there is no way out. The nail bombs, death threats, brutal attacks. This was all to much for Neil, he has a family to protect. This was the part of the job i didn't want to face ..

I approached the car, with my contract details in hand. I sat in my little Ford Ka revising the sums i'd be living on for the next 2 years. It was a neat little payment for doing the job I love, New car, new flat, new way of life. I had been living off benefits for the last 8 years. I am from a small area called Easterhouse in Glasgow, one of the toughest. You can't go to the local shops without getting a knife in your chest. I feel i could cope with the off field pressures better than previous head coaches as i have had a tough upbringing and I'm very strong mentally. And i'll need to be to bring success to the team

It was the 21st of June, and the players had all returned from their holiday's off. I had spent most of the 3 weeks since i signed on studying last years matches and seeing how each team play against Old Firm opposition. Most teams try and counter attack and let Celtic knock the ball around them, and when they get a chance they break forward. I needed to come up with a few tactics to counter their counter attacking game. I love the way Jock Stein had Celtic playing back in the 60's when we won the European cup. The 4-2-4 attacking game is something I'd like to try out. "The best place to defend is in the opposition penalty box" as he used to say. I wanted to emulate his success in modern football. I searched "Jock Stein quotes" on Google. The things this man said really got me going, I was so determined to do everything for this club, for this cause. For this community.

I went downstairs to the entrance at Lennoxtown training facility where i was greeted with blinding flashes from a hungry set of journalists. I just wanted to go and see my new players. I didn't want any media attention. Press conferences, newspaper headlines. This wasn't football. I demanded they all leave. Now, it was time to say hello to my new players. A 30 strong squad stood before me, with them my new coaching staff. Ex hero's of mine Johan Mjalby and Alan Thompson. I shook both of their hands respectively and got to work. The first thing I did, was set up a 11 v 11 match. Before the game got underway, i pulled the lads in. These people surrounding you are not your friends. Their colleagues. On this training pitch, you battle like their is no tomorrow. Be aggressive. Prove to me you want to be in this squad. The lads played, while me Johan, Alan and Gary had a chat. I asked them all sorts of questions. Players they like. the characters of the team, the quiet ones. There are some really talented players in the squad, I would know, having being a season ticket holder for 22 years. Possession, Possession, Possession is what i kept screaming to the lads. Tire each other out, be composed. Make the right decisions. Some of the lads looked like complete duffers. I left the rest of the training session to the backroom staff.

I went into my new office, beautiful it was. Looking onto the hills, with a nice balcony to go. No paperwork on the desk, that was a relief! I went on to the laptop, and clicked on my e-mails. 120 messages. Christ almighty! A lot of the messages came from a familiar name. John Park, one of the best scouts in football. He has brought excellent talent like Kayal, Ki, Izaguirre from countries unknown for their footballing talents. The messages he had sent contained reports on players i should have a serious look at to try and build the squad to the best standards possible. Another message, from Ian Bankier (in the board of director)s was lying at the bottom of the pile.

Dear Mr Peter McManus

Congratulations on being appointed the new manager of Celtic Football Club. We would like to wish you all the best. This season we expect that you win the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, and to win both cup competitions. In the Europa League please do not embarrass the club and harm our excellent reputation. To ensure you fulfill these expectations a budget of 2.5 million pounds has been allocated to find new players, with a wage budget of 425 thousand pounds. When a player is sold from the squad, 100% of the transfer fee will go into the funds to bring in new talent. The best of luck in the new job!

Ian Bankier
Director

That seems like a fair deal, The expectations should be very easy to meet. The league is already in the bag as the other side start with -10 points after being put into administration. I'm relishing this challenge. But some bad news, Mr. Lawell has told me that it's mandatory that the new manager of any club must hold a press conference to introduce himself, which sucks *** ...

Superb start, I support the other side :p but good luck and keep up this story.

It was time for my first press conference. I walked into the press room and flashes were already attempting to burn my retina's. I sat down, Mr Ian Bankier and Mr Lawell by my side. I awaited the first question from these irritating morons.

Hello Mr McManus, well done on getting the job here. How does it feel ?

It really is a great feeling. It's such an honour, i'm a big supporter of the club.

With no experience, do you feel you'll have added pressure in the job ?

Well it's the media that put's pressure on managers with headlines and stories, that's why i'll have nothing to do with you after this.

Last season Celtic lost out on the league by one point, and haven't lifted the league trophy for 3 season. Do you feel this will be Celtic's year, after all Rangers are currently 10 points behind without the season even starting ?

Yes i do, even if rangers started with +10 points i think we would still win the league

Have you approached any players to come and sign for the famous hoops yet ?

No contact has been made with any players, although i have a few targets at the back of my mind. No names will be said. Now that will be all the questions for today, and from now on. Garry Alan and Johann will be taking press conferences on behalf of the club. Thank you.

Well that was torture, i hated every minute of it. I hate the journalists, and i hate what they do. Football is supposed to be a sport, and the way the media report it, they make it out to be like a big Hollywood movie. Papers attacking managers, hacking into players phones, stalking them, telling the world everything they do. It just takes the beauty out of the game, and i'm really passionate about football but media is something i don't agree with having in the game. After the press conference i sat in my office and dosed off. I was abruptly woken after a loud knock on my door. In came Johann Mjallby ..

Hello Paul, I just wanted to have a quick chat about the tactics your going with so Gary, Alan, and I know what to do with the lads out on the training ground.

Well 4-2-4 Johann, Get them playing the ball on the deck no matter what, short, crisp passing. We defend from the front, pressing high up the pitch. Attack Attack Attack, We have to get the boys playing Attacking football. No matter who we play, we attack them. I want the lads to keep possession at least 65% each game, tire the opposition out. Be brutal with them Johann, make sure they are battling hard and giving 100% each and every ******* day. Iv'e got an important meeting with John in 5 minutes. I'll come and talk to you after the lads have gone home. See you soon.

Well that was it, my philosophy on the football pitch. This is how Jock Stein set up. This is how I set up. We should be winning 6-0 every game in the SPL. It's a terrible league, we are the only decent team there. I plan on destroying everyone in our path, domestically anyway. I had a busy day, and had a few meetings set up. When Johann left, John Park the head scout here came in for a chat on who we should sell and buy.

John, how you doing ?

I'm good Paul, now I've brought a file with me of players, it was only a teaser i sent you last time when you first arrived here. First of all, I'd like to talk about who you should sell in the team, there is a lot of deadwood in the team and the funds from their transfer fees would help bring in better talent. So this may sound a shock, but Beram Kayal is someone who i'd look to sell. You could easily get 6 million for him, his attitude is stinking and has quite a bad influence on the team, plus he told Alan he wants a move, he feels he should be in Barcelona instead of Glasgow. Another few names include Glenn Loovens, Paddy McCourt, Morten Rassmusen, Darryl Murphy, Efrain Juarez and Cha Du-Ri. All in all if you manage to get rid of all these players you could end up with maybe 10 million pounds. Which will be enough to get some new talent in.

I agree with these names, they weren't in my plans if i'm being honest. I will e-mail Ian and he'll get the deals done. Thanks alot John you've been fantastic, I'll see you in 2 weeks time and you can convince me to get a couple of fresh faces to get this place buzzing. Keep working hard and a big pay rise may be on your way.

John left after a firm handshake, I was really surprised he said Beram Kayal, he's one of the best players we have. But if he doesn't have the right attitude then he won't play in the famous hoops. I've really enjoyed my time in charge so far, meetings, wearing the Celtic badge on my heart every morning. This is how life should be lived. Pre-season is good, so i can't wait to get the league campaign underway. I sat in silence for 5 minutes then sent Mr. Bankier a letter.

Dear Mr Bankier

I would really appreciate it if you could fax clubs around Europe concerning the availability of some of the deadwood that we have in the squad. The names of the players i'd like to sell are the following : Paddy McCourt - Glenn Loovens - Morten Rasmussen - Cha Du-Ri - Darryl Murphy - Efrain Juarez. If all of these players are sold, I believe 10 million pounds could be made.

I sent the e-mail, and immediately regretting it. Kayal! I was selling Beram Kayal! I was really disappointed in myself. I stood out on the balcony, a golden sun, shining on my face. I watched the lads play 11-a-side. The lads playing lovely football, passing on the deck. Pressing high up the pitch. And best of all, going to battle despite against their own team mates. Hammering each other in challenges. This is what i love to see ...

Celtic+FC+Training+Session+s6BzIK7-kqRl.jpg

I came into my office on Friday 24th of June. I switched on the laptop and looked at my E-Mails. 2 inbox. One, a reply from Mr. Bankier, concerning the sales of some of the players.
Mr McManus

I faxed clubs across Europe and Asia concerning the availability of some of Celtic's deadwood. I have recieved offers from many clubs. Here are the offers that we recieved. Bayern, Ajax, Rubin, Benfica, Napoli, PSG, have all made 5 million euro offers for Beram Kayals Services. Leicester and Watford have both made 675k bids for the services of Paddy McCourt. Cardiff and Derby have both made 1.4 million euros for Efrain Juarez's services. Coventry, West Ham, Midtjylland, Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton have all made bids worth 240k for the services of Glen Loovens. Covenrty, Bristol City, OB, Ipswich and Watford have all made loan bids for Morten Rasmussen for a fee of 20k.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Ian Bankier.

I went down to the training pitch, and called Beram over. "Come up to my office please son" I says.

What is it boss ?

Beram, We have recieved several offers for your services. They are very healthy offers and the club has to accept it. I'm sure your agent will be in touch.

That's great, Iv'e been looking to get away from here. Thanks for your time.

That was hard, letting one of my best players know they don't have a future in Glasgow's green and white. I decided i'd let the rest of the boys know. So i just called all of them up to my office. This was going to be a lot tougher, they barely speak English. But i was happy they were leaving as they are simply not good enough for the team.

Ok guys, You are all being sold. You don't have a future at the club. I'm really sorry to break the news.

Juarez: But boss, i just bought a new house here in Glasgow

Theres nothing I can do about that, I am sorry. Your just not in my plans.

Loovens: I'll be going to the papers about this one !

Do what you like, i don't do media anyway.

Rasmussen:Thank god, been waiting to get a game for someone.

Don't be so sure, you're one of the worst players I've ever seen in the hoops. Goodbye guys. Good luck in the future.

That was that. This would free up a decent amount of funds to but some quality players. A new e-mail had been sent. It was from Mr. Lawell. Re. Friendlies, i had forgot all about them. All my focus was on getting the team playing my way, and getting faces in and out.
Dear Mr McManus

I have arranged friendlies for the team to take part in as part of the clubs pre-season, these matches will help the players regain fitness and form. And to be ready for a very important season ahead. Good luck in the fixtures:

Dumbarton (a) 25.6.11
Birmingham (a) 9.7.11
Doncaster (a) 11.9.11
Colchester (a) 13.7.11
Reading (a) 15.7.11

These were all winnable fixtures, and i'm looking forward to travelling down south for games. I will be taking them all very seriously. The season starts very soon and preperation will be important. I'm buzzing to get my new career underway. And get the famous hoops back to the top of the world.

Great story mate, always like this layout with more writing than screenshots. :) Keep it up!

Great couple of updates, You never added Kayal into the list of players you'd like to sell in your email part mate, I actually thought you had decided to not sell him at first :p

great to see you back on the story trail lol... i will be starting a Aston villa story soon in which they were already relagated