Celtic give trial to former Spurs 'keeper

pistolped7

Reaction score
Celtic have announced they have captured 32 year old Croatian goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa on a trial from his current employers, Russia's Spartak Moscow. Pletikosa spent the 2010/11 season on loan at Tottenham, but found opportunities few and far between. Third choice behind Heurelho Gomes and Carlo Cudicini, he played just once.

Since 1999, Pletikosa has been capped 82 times for his native Croatia, joining them at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, as well as EURO 2008.

He began his career at hometown side Hajduk Split, playing 141 times between 1996 and 2003, scoring 4 times, before a move to Shakhtar Donetsk for 2 million euros. However, Pletikosa was second choice keeper for much of his spell in Ukraine, and so, aftr a season long loan to his former club Hajduk, moved to Spartak Moscow in 2007 for 3 million euros.

He played 63 times before signing a season long loan deal at White Hart Lane, the only game he played was a 4-1 defeat to Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

Neil Lennon is also apparently keeping tabs on Sunderland 'keeper Craig Gordon.

BBC Sport - Celtic give trial to Croatian keeper Stipe Pletikosa

4 goals with Hajduk Split? Impressive.
Did he take some penalties or what?

Id rather Pletikosa than Gordon tbh. Cheaper, more experienced and just generally better imo.
Also if we do sign Gordon he will be out until Octoberish.

I really hope we get Craig Gordon!

I would rather Pletikosa due to Gordons injury proneness. Although he is a great goalkeeper he is injured too often and Sunderland will want a decent amount considering they spent about £9million. Both great keepers !!

Pletikosa may also have injury problems. That is what this "trial" is about, ensure his knee is not ****ed.

I'd rather go with Pletikosa. Will see how he does on Saturday, heard he's getting a game.

Gordon has a terrible injury record, would cost us at least £5million, and his wage demands would be through the roof. Heard he isn't interested in signing for us anyway, and it doesn't surprise me seeing as he's a die-hard jambo.

Hm, not sure why he never played in the PL or at least some more cup matches- He can't be alot worse than Gomes or Cudicini; Interesting to see how he does in this trial, hopefully he does well and Celtic sign him on. Celtic fans, if he was to join, would you want him as your first choice keeper?

Hm, not sure why he never played in the PL or at least some more cup matches- He can't be alot worse than Gomes or Cudicini; Interesting to see how he does in this trial, hopefully he does well and Celtic sign him on. Celtic fans, if he was to join, would you want him as your first choice keeper?

Definitely. I like Zaluska, but I think he's a bit like Forster: he doesn't have a great command of his area, and is very mistake prone. Hopefully Pletikosa gives us a solid goalie to fall back on, seeing as the centre-back position is our weakest position.

Im pretty sure I heard Lennon say somewhere that Zaluska will start as number one. I also wouldnt be that dissapointed if we keeped him as number 1. He hasnt really had a good run of games with a decent defense in-front of him and from the limited games in the second half of last season he had (all against Rangers?) he looked alright.
I also think I read somewhere that Zaluska will not be number 2 anymore and would rather leave.

I love Celtic from now on...
Finally someone got Pletikosa and he'll get some playing time, which means WE (Croatia) WILL FINALLY HAVE OUR BEST GOALKEEPER PLAYING AGAIN! And that means he is nr1 again (Thank God)

Hope he stays...

Yes. Cervi [our usual third string] isn't good enough to play first team in the SPL and Zaluska is good, but Pletikosa has a lot more experience.

Hopefully he'll join.

Stijnen snubs Celtic offer | Sky Sports | Football | Scottish Premier | News

Stijnen has refused to take part in the friendly against Cardiff to prove himself.

"I am Stijn Stijnen, I've played 30 times for the Belgian national team and in quite a lot European and Champions League games."

"Why should I prove myself in a friendly game?"

He can gtf! His name barley registers with me, yet he thinks he to good to play a friendly game.

Also makes the new holy goalie Pletikosa deal more likely :D

Played tonight against Cardiff. Had nothing to do but looked calm and cool on the ball. His distribution was meh.

He will get another chance to impress tonight against Wolves, hopefully they can shoot a few times. The other 2 trailists Lacny and Melpha will also get chances to prove themselves.

He was very meh tonight. I hope to see him in the Dublin Super cup as he didnt get enough chances to prove himself again.
Poor distribution and at fault for the 1st goal due to terrible positioning. Made one good save. If he is asking for anything 15k + then I would leave him.
Melpha got 45minutes and looked fast but nowhere near the 2mil his club want. Would be nice to see him get more of a chance in Dublin as well.
Lacny looked like the best of the trailists but didnt get much of the ball. Would also need to be seen again to make a decision on him.