kayah

Reaction score
atm im playing papadopolous and a regen in central defence, papadopolous works best as a limited defender with a duty of stopper and the other defender plays best as a central defender with a duty of cover. so one defenders pushing out and the others dropping back, im also playing the offside trap, is this a recipe for disaster ? im not too sure of the best combinations to do, any help would be appreciated :)

Generally speaking I wouldn't use a stopper-cover combo together with an offside trap. The reason is that an offside trap is usually used along with a high defensive line, to push the defence up the pitch and reduce the amount of space between the lines while pressing. If you have a covering defender you're essentially dropping one man deeper than the rest of the line, meaning you're creating space in front of him and when trying to catch strikers offside there's a chance your covering defender will be too late (since he's closer to your own goal) and he'll play the opponent onside. If you have a good covering defender this may not be a problem, but I usually set up my defences like this:

Attacking/high pressing football: a high defensive line, offside trap, both players on "defend"
Somewhere in between: a mid to high defensive line, no offside trap, a stopper/cover combo if you've got the right players, otherwise just "defend"
Defensive/countering play: a deep defensive line, definately no offside trap, defenders on defend (you can't have stoppers stepping out of the line right in front of your goal).

cheers mate :) that clears it up a bit was thinking that it wasnt the best combo to play

Yeh. I agree with having a stopper-cover combo, but playing the offside trap as well probably wouldn't work unless you have a speedy defense that can get back quickly if it goes wrong.