Central defender tackle harder and close down more

26Hazard

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Hi. Wanted to ask a quick question. On a high pressing game is it useful to have my central defender use close down more and tackle harder on a very fluid attacking mentality team shape

[/FONT]

Hi hazard,

I've never set my Centre-Backs to close down more. The reason is that a) they can get easily turned, or the ball can easily be played through them and then there is no line of defence. This will become especially dangerous if you're playing an attacking mentality and have a high press.

Pressing is usually performed by midfielders and forwards, and sometimes by full backs. I tend to set my CB's to close down less, you shouldn't be setting them any higher than less. Second reason is that you will also lose your defensive shape if they're pressing aggressively. You could try having your full backs pressing more aggressively if you want.

Also you can use the OI's to stop the strikers and AM's getting pressed so aggressively, as I've done in this blog post.
https://footballmanager2017dotblog....sed-tactic-title-italian-cup-in-first-season/

If you set up like i have in this tactic, you will see that your forwards and midfielders press, whilst the back five holds a decent shape and is hard to play through.

Here is a player instruction for a middle CB in a back 3.
View attachment 58909

I do tend to use hard tackling for all players though to be honest.
I mean I guess if you played a back 3, and had two stoppers, then in theory you might get away with pressing more aggressively, if you had a cover who was very fast, and wasn't pressing, I've never really tried it.