djidjo88

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I've been actively playing fm 2013, since the beta. I want to share my observation regarding center defenders on the game. For me it seems they are overpowered this year for some reason. Players that are not even 4 stars in a mid-table team are often with the highest average rating in the league (any league). Usually on my saves my center backs are with the best overall ratings and man of the match awards, even if they are not the stars of the team. Also when I check the overall ratings in the league probably 80% of the players in top 20 are center defenders. Is that just me or it is like that for everyone? Also sometimes it seems near impossible to go pass a defender, even if he is far worse than the opposition attacking players. It is very rarely a center defender to have less than 7.00 rating, even if his games is riddled with mistakes and like 50% pass ratio.

In my Newcastle save i spent 10+ seasons there, Steven Taylor won all but 1 player of the season for my team (Coloccini won season 1), av rating never below 7.8 for entire season and went on to win 35 caps for England.

The game rating system seems to over estimate defensive headers.

Mathoho in my game is has an average of 7.88 in year 2018 - 2019. He's in my squad and always wants more money.

please send me some of these overpowered defenders i could do with them right now

Otamendi as a limited defender defend. There also always seems to be at least 4/5 Brazilian regen centre backs every year with OP stats

Are defenders too good in general? Not in my opinion, I've had good ones and bad ones. As for why they get high average ratings and a disproportionate number of man of the match awards, I think that just reflects that they're the last line of defence, so it's more obvious when they're having a good game than, say, a central midfielder. A striker can also have a poor match simply because he isn't being given good service, which isn't true of central defenders, which might explain why so many of the top 20 by average rating are CDs. They'll be consistently good in every match (hence a great average) whereas even the best striker is going to get goalless games through poor service or bad luck (which will drag his down).

My current Norwich team is a good example - I have two really quality central defenders but they get very little protection from midfield, so they spend a lot of time heading balls out of the box and one of them always seems to have a rating of 8+ if I win (or often if I don't).

Are defenders too good in general? Not in my opinion, I've had good ones and bad ones. As for why they get high average ratings and a disproportionate number of man of the match awards, I think that just reflects that they're the last line of defence, so it's more obvious when they're having a good game than, say, a central midfielder. A striker can also have a poor match simply because he isn't being given good service, which isn't true of central defenders, which might explain why so many of the top 20 by average rating are CDs. They'll be consistently good in every match (hence a great average) whereas even the best striker is going to get goalless games through poor service or bad luck (which will drag his down).

My current Norwich team is a good example - I have two really quality central defenders but they get very little protection from midfield, so they spend a lot of time heading balls out of the box and one of them always seems to have a rating of 8+ if I win (or often if I don't).

Its the fact that there are too many headers, interceptions and tackles in the game. Given that these are what count most towards a defenders ratings, for sides that have to consistently do any kind of sustained defending, their ratings will shoot through the roof. So you are part right there, a consistent defender will get star ratings.