neomoppy

Reaction score
I am currently using a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 formation, sometimes switching to a narrow 4-3-1-2 formation.
I am having trouble getting the right mix for the 4 in the middle. Any advice would be appreciated, I know It will depend upon the players at my disposal.

With 4-1-2-1-2 I tend to try a DLP (support) with BWM and Box to Bow (both support). And an Inside forward (attack) behind the front two.

When switching to 4-3-1-2 I use 2 Box to box players, and a Defensive BWM. With Inside forward(attack)

While this formation worked well for league 1, finishing second with Hartlepool, I am getting beat most weeks, and last 5 games have conceded 19 goals. It seems to have gone a bit pear shaped.

Any suggestions on formation's would be appreciated or player roles would be apprecieted.
Without posting screen shots, a quick description of players available are.

2 capable defensive midfielders/ball winners. 3 central midfielders (not excelling offensively or defensively, but capable all rounders with decent passing skills, 2 of which can play a Supporting DLP role) 2 Attacking midfielders, both capable of playeing in Left Wing position (1 right footed who is one of the best Players I have, the other is left footed)

I have a Deep Lying player, who can play in any position (DM/CM/AML/AMR/AMC) who would be the Best Player in any given position, but stats would suit a more central position.

I also have 2x Right Backs/wing backs, who can play in Wide Right Midfield position (not Wing position)
And I have a striker who can play at Right Wing (although would be the weak link in the team. and is a starter up front, although not the best striker but would mean playing just 1 up top)

I am really hoping for some advice on how to set these up in a slightly better way, any advice would be appreciated, if you need some images, let me know which ones would help, and will do what I can to get them posted.

Think this should of went into "what tactic should I use" forum. how can I move it?

How many goals a game to you score on average and how many do you concede on average? Are you losing mostly away, at home or both?

Scoring average of 1 goal a game, and conceding 2 or 3 on Average, and am slipping into relagation zone following a series of very poor results 19 goals conceded in 5 games, with 1 goal for.

On first sight I'd say you're lacking any holding midfielders. Your 4-1-2-1-2 has all your central midfielders on support or attack, while your 4-3-1-2 has only one defending player. Personally I like to use at least two holding midfielders at all times, except perhaps in a 4-4-2, but even then I only use one defending and one supporting midfielder.

However, the best way to see why you're conceding would be to watch all those goals again and note where they came from. What kind of goals were they? Long balls in behind your defence? Your defenders getting beaten in the air? is the opposition exploiting the space behind your fullbacks? Are you conceding lots of long shots? Once you know where your weakness lies you can do something about it, but your formation in se doesn't tell us much - formations are largely neutral, it's how you play them.

I have just changed to a narrow 4-2-1-2-1 formation, with an Anchor Man, Defensive Mid (supp) Central Mid (suport) Att Playmaker (support) and Inside Forward (support)
And Playing with Wingback's on Auto.
Masive Change around in fortunes. Played just 4 games, won 3 lost 1, Scored 10 conceded 3.
I think I could switch the Defensive Mid to Defend instead of Support to give a bit more cover for the fullbacks bombing on, especially in the tougher games.
The only problem I found is that I need 4 decent Fullback/Wingback all fit for this, as they are covering a lot of ground with no one ahead of them. leaves them on 85% for the next game so you need to rotate every single game. If I get an injury to one of them, I will be a bit stuck.

I am developping my self a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow tactic. Here are the tips I use:
FBs: Attack so that they can play level with th CMs supporting them.
For the roles I use very basic settings as I tweak almost everything.
DM: Defensively minded so few forward runs and never runs with ball
CM: One is sitting deeper than the other (mentality) this one rarely make offensive runs so that he is always available for orienting the game. The other is an attacking creative force. Both should have good creativity, decision determination and passing
AM: Litteraly sitting on the holes RFD is set to rarely and thorough balls to often in order to attempt.
Appart from the keeper both CBs and DM everyone has closing down se to whole pitch ad tackling to hard so that we can get possession back quickly.
On the temp instructions front, I play narrow and slow tempo game. No target man neither playmaker.
The most trickiest aspect is finding a good LB, as if he's offensively efficient he can really bring on danger laready saw Oscar Wendt from Glaback with 22 assists a season.
Hope this helps.

I have had a total Budget of £40k over two seasons. So I I have take what I can, I got 4 x each with stam of 12-16, which ain't too bad considering my financial constraints. But they are covering nearly twice the distance of the next highest players Think they are covering around 9 miles.

Oh Dear now this System is failing lost the next 5 games, agaisnt a top 5 team, a mid table team, and against 3 teams in the or around the relagtion zone.
I am thinking about going to a more counter attacking set up, but not sure the best way to set it up.

was planning on playing a deep Defensive Line, Faster Tempo and more direct, changing to Full BAcks (def) have Anchor Man, BWM (def) and an inside forward (Att) with a Poacher.
I was going to play someone next to the inside forward, and next to the Anchor Man, would a DLP (def) and Att Playmaker (att) work well in a counter system or would It be best going for something differant.

Another Issue I have is that none of my Centre backs are particulary comanding. The tallest is 6'1'' But they are also not too pacey or accelarating around 12. Would playing a deep Line be asking for trouble, or Would having my Fullbacks on Defend give a bit more support from wide the wide areas? I could go and sign someone Like Sol Campbell, but this is the second season, and his pace is even worse (or would this not matter if a deep line is played?) I have £0 transfer Budget and Wage budget will tends to allow for £1.1k p/w, Although I am Guessing they will allow more for a big name like Sol.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Sincerly, I'd keep it as simple as possible ie: no DLP as I don't think you have a top quality player to fit in that role. Switching your FB to defense could prove counterproductive as you'll really lack width up front.
I'd play only one player on the DM position with a defend duty.
PLaying a deep defensive line is mandatory unless having top quality CB with great concentration and pace.
May be you should also have a look at the closing down instruction of your CB, try and reduce it to own surface as your DM shall do the stopping.
Having such series could also be caused by morale, so try and play friendlies agaisnt very low reputation teams in order to beat them a good 8-0 improving morale. Try also giving them days rest.

Oh Dear now this System is failing lost the next 5 games, agaisnt a top 5 team, a mid table team, and against 3 teams in the or around the relagtion zone.
I am thinking about going to a more counter attacking set up, but not sure the best way to set it up.

was planning on playing a deep Defensive Line, Faster Tempo and more direct, changing to Full BAcks (def) have Anchor Man, BWM (def) and an inside forward (Att) with a Poacher.
I was going to play someone next to the inside forward, and next to the Anchor Man, would a DLP (def) and Att Playmaker (att) work well in a counter system or would It be best going for something differant.

Another Issue I have is that none of my Centre backs are particulary comanding. The tallest is 6'1'' But they are also not too pacey or accelarating around 12. Would playing a deep Line be asking for trouble, or Would having my Fullbacks on Defend give a bit more support from wide the wide areas? I could go and sign someone Like Sol Campbell, but this is the second season, and his pace is even worse (or would this not matter if a deep line is played?) I have £0 transfer Budget and Wage budget will tends to allow for £1.1k p/w, Although I am Guessing they will allow more for a big name like Sol.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

First off, playing a direct, high-tempo game means asking your players to hoof the ball forward as quickly as possible, bypassing the midfield and negating the one area of the pitch you should be commanding. Play slower, short passing, you should have the numerical advantage so keep possession and look for openings.

In terms of the high line you should look to fit it to your defenders. If you have fast defenders, push up. You'll be vulnerable to pace but your defence should cope. If you're playing deep you're inviting crosses, especially from fullbacks as they're completely unmarked, so you'll need strong, tall defenders. If your centrebacks are neither fast, nor tall, then kick them out and get some new ones.

One thing you might try (whether it's successful depends on the players) is to ask your two forwards to mark the fullbacks every game. Since these are usually the opposition's free players you're negating their advantage down the flanks (provided your strikers work hard and track back), while offering you a good opportunity to counter down the flanks if your forwards are fast enough to receive the ball in behind the fullbacks and drive towards the byline. In this case your AMC(s) should put pressure on the centrebacks to prevent those from endlessly passing the ball around.

Just a couple of Points, firstly my DLP is imense, easily good enough for Premiership.
I have swithed the Fullbacks to Def, and it has tightened things up at the back, I find that the Stikers and CAM tend to drift into wide areas when needed. I also use Raik's 4-1-2-2-1 formation as a backup when extra width needed, when the 4-1-2-1-2 formation fails.
I have signed a young comanding CB to partner Wes Morgan with, and they seem to fit together well with a Deep Line.

I think the main issue was Moral, just started the new season and after 7 games I am in 6th position, and alread beat a Prem Team in LEague cup.

Made quite a lot of signings (around 4 in the first team) plus a few decent squad players. I can rotate the team, and cope with injuries far better then last season. will see as the season draws on, put it has started promisingly so far.