Cesar wants Rooney revenge

To be honest though, he really shouldn't have said that about the fans, if they're booing you then there's obviously a reason for it - they're not booing you for the sake of it. The fans have paid a lot of money to go to South Africa and Rooney never mentioned about the pressure on him or anything like that, as for support? He's had it, Heskey played well the first game he played - did anybody capitalise on him? Nope. Rooney said he wanted to play with Heskey, and he got his chance, did he do anything? Nope.

He hasn't apologised for anything he's done, he hasn't come forwards to the media and the press to apologise for himself, he's had a speech read out for him by a reporter. That's not an apology.

according to who? the idiot media thats who. rooney had a fantastic season at united, because of the great support he got from from the rest of the team, good passes from midfield, top class supply from the likes of valencia.

According to a lot of people, he was static for most of the game
The Independent
The Guardian among others.
Rooney's season for Utd is irrelevant, that doesn't mean he played well against Algeria, in fact the second point about Rooney being a talisman is proved further by your eagerness to point out the highlights of Rooney's season in Manchester. His first touch was woeful, he made no effort to move into the channels or do anything vaguely intelligent:
ZonalMarking said:
Wayne Rooney was surprisingly static and could have drifted into slightly more intelligent positions when not in possession, but instead he and Emile Heskey either stayed alongside each other, or looked to drop deep. There was never any lateral movement."
ZonalMarking.net"]

you want him to be the talisman, then make him the talisman, stick him as the lone striker, in gerrard lampard and cole, you have as good a support as you could ask for, and more. otherwise dont make him the scapegoat for everybodies failings

I agree with most of this, in that the obvious formation Capello should play is 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard off Rooney, Cole on the left, and Lampard dropping a little deeper with Gareth Barry and Rooney on his own up front. However, unfortunately it's not really up to Jak16 to change this, nor you, we just have to wait, and hope we eat our words and Capello pays this site a visit and realises where he's going wrong, until then, he, gerrard and lampard are our scapegoats, because they played badly, for one reason or another

Last edited:
According to a lot of people, he was static for most of the game
The Independent
The Guardian among others.
Rooney's season for Utd is irrelevant, that doesn't mean he played well against Algeria, in fact the second point about Rooney being a talisman is proved further by your eagerness to point out the highlights of Rooney's season in Manchester. His first touch was woeful, he made no effort to move into the channels or do anything vaguely intelligent:

ZonalMarking.net"]ZonalMarking.net[/URL]

I agree with most of this, in that the obvious formation Capello should play is 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard off Rooney, Cole on the left, and Lampard dropping a little deeper with Gareth Barry and Rooney on his own up front. However, unfortunately it's not really up to Jak16 to change this, nor you, we just have to wait, and hope we eat our words and Capello pays this site a visit and realises where he's going wrong, until then, he, gerrard and lampard are our scapegoats, because they played badly, for one reason or another
you missed the point entirely. i said he had a fantastic season because of the people around him were great too. people are expecting him to do everything for england, he didnt ven do everything for united, fletcher giggs scholes, valencia nani berbs all supported him brilliantly, if they had not been on form, rooney wouldnt have been on form

reference the static. this my promblem with the 4-4-2, the whole system is static. NOBODY played with any real movment. did you know in the last two games, we have a pass accuracy of 80%, the problem isnt the passing, its the ovment off the ball there is none, so you pick up pass in a poor area of the pitch and provide no threat

again my point is that it wasnt just rooney who was poor, it was the whole team yet he is being made the scapegoat. he cannot everything for england, in the same way he didnt do everything for united. he still requires the back up of the whole team

Last edited:
We all know how poor Rooney has been.

It's all mind games. They aren't necessarily trying to wind up him on the pitch, but before the match. If I was Capello, I wouldn't start him anyway.

you missed the point entirely. i said he had a fantastic season because of the people around him were great too. people are expecting him to do everything for england

reference the static. this my promblem with the 4-4-2, the whole system is static. NOBODY played with any real movment. did you know in the last two games, we have a pass accuracy of 80%, the problem isn't? the passing, its the movement off the ball there is none, so you pick up a pass in a poor area of the pitch and provide no threat

I disagree, the whole point is that there is too much movement, creating confusion, from the same zonal marking article, there was too much confusion in midfield, Lampard at one point was playing at Right Midfield, Gerrard at RCM, and Lennon on LW.. I obviously agree that the system needs changing, but Rooney had a brilliant qualification for the WC as well, people seem to be forgetting out successful qualification campaign, when we dropped 3 points and beat Croatia, twice, 4-1 and 5-1 using the same(ish) formation and tactics, it was at least a 4-4-2 if i'm not mistaken, so surely that isn't really an argument despite the fact i agree the system is wrong, i think it is because it has become too predictable and teams have defended better than expected, with more to aim for and that players have crumbled under the pressure, as well as, according to JT, boredom at times and even perhaps jadedness/laziness as shown by Johnson and Rooney in particular against Algeria

I disagree, the whole point is that there is too much movement, creating confusion, from the same zonal marking article, there was too much confusion in midfield, Lampard at one point was playing at Right Midfield, Gerrard at RCM, and Lennon on LW.. I obviously agree that the system needs changing, but Rooney had a brilliant qualification for the WC as well, people seem to be forgetting out successful qualification campaign, when we dropped 3 points and beat Croatia, twice, 4-1 and 5-1 using the same(ish) formation and tactics, it was at least a 4-4-2 if i'm not mistaken, so surely that isn't really an argument despite the fact i agree the system is wrong, i think it is because it has become too predictable and teams have defended better than expected, with more to aim for and that players have crumbled under the pressure, as well as, according to JT, boredom at times and even perhaps jadedness/laziness as shown by Johnson and Rooney in particular against Algeria
the 4-4-2 is generally flawed at this level and certainly against the teams we have played. we played 4-4-2 against a 4-2-2-2 and a 3-5-2, both times it was at a disvantage. because in the first game gerrard and lampard are naturally playing a high role in the centre, leaving space behind them for landon donovan and dempsey to attack into, which they did, which lead to dempseys goal, as he cuts inside into that space, so yes its a huge argument

the second game. we're up against 3-5-2. the 3-5-2 has inherent advantages over the 4-4-2 in that you always have a spare man in defence and attack, which showed as they nullified our already shoddy attacks each time, and then moved forward with ease

you misunderstand, i'm talking about move, pass and move, the basis of any passing game, not positional swapping. there was virtually none of that

johnson was isnt as good defensively as cole and so he had a much tougher game on his flank

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:54 PM ----------

just to add though, dont think im defending rooney because hes united, he was **** no doubt about it, but just saying its not just down to him thats all

We all know how poor Rooney has been.

It's all mind games. They aren't necessarily trying to wind up him on the pitch, but before the match. If I was Capello, I wouldn't start him anyway.

Yeah I would love to see how Defoe and Crouch do upfront its always Rooney give another guy a chance

Yeah I would love to see how Defoe and Crouch do upfront its always Rooney give another guy a chance

i said that the other day mate. im all for that, england need goals and crouch and defoe guarrentee that.

i said that the other day mate. im all for that, england need goals and crouch and defoe guarrentee that.

Yeah they did brill for Tottenham and they also have the reasurance of Lennon to help them and Joe Cole would be a massive boost. Come on we cant rely on Rooney for the rest of the tourny but he would blow his top finding himself on the bench

We all know that Rooney has played poorly for the national side during the first two games of the World Cup campaign,alongside the rest of the two starting elevens that had faced both U.S.A and Algeria.That's cleared.

What needs to be done,in my opinion,is drop the current formation Capello seems to be in awe of a field Rooney up top by himself,with Gerrard playing just behind,with Joe Cole and Lennon/Milner as the two wingers.Lampard and Barry as the central midfielders.Dawson,Terry,Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson your back four and David James in goal.

I don't think that Roo should be dropped (despite his poor current international form) but,like it has been mentioned by some of the TV pundits,give better service to Rooney upfront for him to feed off of and then be given the opportunities to show his form.It will take a few tries but the rewards should be reaped.

If not,field a 4-4-2 with Crouch and Defoe upfront,Gerrard and Lampard/Barry in the centre of midfield,with Joe Cole and Milner as the wingers,with your usual backline and Joe Hart (possibly) in goal.

That's just my opinion.

We all know that Rooney has played poorly for the national side during the first two games of the World Cup campaign,alongside the rest of the two starting elevens that had faced both U.S.A and Algeria.That's cleared.

What needs to be done,in my opinion,is drop the current formation Capello seems to be in awe of a field Rooney up top by himself,with Gerrard playing just behind,with Joe Cole and Lennon/Milner as the two wingers.Lampard and Barry as the central midfielders.Dawson,Terry,Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson your back four and David James in goal.

I don't think that Roo should be dropped (despite his poor current international form) but,like it has been mentioned by some of the TV pundits,give better service to Rooney upfront for him to feed off of and then be given the opportunities to show his form.It will take a few tries but the rewards should be reaped.

If not,field a 4-4-2 with Crouch and Defoe upfront,Gerrard and Lampard/Barry in the centre of midfield,with Joe Cole and Milner as the wingers,with your usual backline and Joe Hart (possibly) in goal.

That's just my opinion.

I love it when Kituno comes with his long informative posts (A)

lol you should read the first page

I love it when Kituno comes with his long informative posts (A)

I do too ^^)

Nah seriously,I agree with what madsheep has already stated.It's clear Rooney has been on dismal form and it hasn't helped either.Capello just needs to tweak a few things and get everyone a bit more comfortable ahead of this crucial game come Wednesday.

Hopefully we will win and qualify for the last sixteen.