Champions League 1999-2003: Having trouble with qualifying rounds

Carlito1085

Reaction score
Hi all, new user here :)

Champions_League_Edit.xml - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

I've been busy trying to make the 1999-2003 format of the Champions League with 2 group phases, and I think I'm close to completing this. The structure is pretty much down on paper but I'm getting an error regarding how many teams enter each qualifying round. I have created the following:

1st Qualifying Round: 20 teams enter
2nd Qualifying Round: 28 teams enter
3rd Qualifying Round: 32 teams enter

1st Group stage: 32 teams enter

I'm also not fully sure how I'd determine 3rd or 4th placed teams from the top nations going into the 3rd qualifying round. What I need to make sure of is that I get the following with the accurate associations going into the correct rounds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2...e#Distribution

As of now I'm getting the following error: Wrong number of teams used in Champions League. 142 added to stages, 76 teams in the competition.

I tried doing a search in the XML to see if I could change '142' to '76', but '142' didn't even show up in there. I've also uploaded what I have so far at the top of the thread. If anybody could take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong it'd be greatly appreciated.

Finally, is it possible to do the fixtures like they are in real life (i.e. half of the teams play on Tuesday and half on Wednesday)?

Hi all, new user here :)

Champions_League_Edit.xml - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

I've been busy trying to make the 1999-2003 format of the Champions League with 2 group phases, and I think I'm close to completing this. The structure is pretty much down on paper but I'm getting an error regarding how many teams enter each qualifying round. I have created the following:

1st Qualifying Round: 20 teams enter
2nd Qualifying Round: 28 teams enter
3rd Qualifying Round: 32 teams enter

1st Group stage: 32 teams enter

I'm also not fully sure how I'd determine 3rd or 4th placed teams from the top nations going into the 3rd qualifying round. What I need to make sure of is that I get the following with the accurate associations going into the correct rounds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2...e#Distribution

As of now I'm getting the following error: Wrong number of teams used in Champions League. 142 added to stages, 76 teams in the competition.

I tried doing a search in the XML to see if I could change '142' to '76', but '142' didn't even show up in there. I've also uploaded what I have so far at the top of the thread. If anybody could take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong it'd be greatly appreciated.

Finally, is it possible to do the fixtures like they are in real life (i.e. half of the teams play on Tuesday and half on Wednesday)?

yes it is possible :), but I had trouble with the second group stage everytime I tested it came up with Second Group (18) divied into 4 groups

Thanks for the reply :)

You mean for the fixtures, I'm guessing? Did you manage to get the tournament working regardless of that? I feel like I'm so close but I can't get the qualifying rounds to work. I'm really struggling and it's doing my head in :(

Thanks for the reply :)

You mean for the fixtures, I'm guessing? Did you manage to get the tournament working regardless of that? I feel like I'm so close but I can't get the qualifying rounds to work. I'm really struggling and it's doing my head in :(

here's how I got the Qualifying round to work

1st Qualifying Round: 20 teams enter (10 matches 2 legs, Away Goal, GG & Pens added)
2nd Qualifying Round: 28 teams enter (14 matches 2 legs, Away Goal, GG & Pens added)
3rd Qualifying Round: 32 teams enter (16 matches 2 legs, Away Goal, GG & Pens added)

1st Group stage: 32 teams enter (8 Groups, 2 teams Advances 2 robbin round), Start mid September, end mid October
2nd Group Stage: 16 teams enter (4 Groups 2 teams Advances 2 robbin round) Start mid November, ends mid March (that's where I go the error message :mad:)

Quarter-Final: 8 teams enter (4 matches 2 legs, Away Goal, GG & Pens added)
Semi-Finals: 4 teams enter (2 matches 2 legs, Away Goal, GG & Pens added)
Final: 2 teams (1 match)

oh btw if you think this bit is doing your head in wait until you get to adding the teams in that's the bit that really got me ****** off the most

That's pretty much identical to what I've done already, and I have 76 teams added in the seeding (I have 76 teams in the tournament so that should be right). My error is that I have 142 teams added to stages, when it should only be 76.

If yours works, could you please upload it so I can see where I've gone wrong? It'd be much appreciated because I'm absolutely stumped as to why it's saying I have 142 teams entering the tournament. If you can't upload could you at least take a look at mine that I uploaded? I've been desperately trying to get some help but a lot of these forums move slowly :(

Last edited:
That's pretty much identical to what I've done already, and I have 76 teams added in the seeding (I have 76 teams in the tournament so that should be right). My error is that I have 142 teams added to stages, when it should only be 76.

If yours works, could you please upload it so I can see where I've gone wrong? It'd be much appreciated because I'm absolutely stumped as to why it's saying I have 142 teams entering the tournament. If you can't upload could you at least take a look at mine that I uploaded? I've been desperately trying to get some help but a lot of these forums move slowly :(

I just gave up mate tbh with ya, just added the teams into the normal UCL