Changes in performance in latest patch - CWB vs WB? - Looking for some kind help!

SilentJay

Reaction score
Guys,
Sorry for tthe nuisance, but I have to ask.
Ever since the latest update came around, my tactic went from flawless to a complete disaster (maybe that's an exageration, but close enough). I've tinkered around with roles and players, training, and positions, but nothing.

My latest conclusion is that my CWB's aren't up to par with the way they were playing (in a 4-3-3 possession tactic, high tempo, retain possession, shorter passign, overlap, push higher up, work ball into box, pass out of defence, hassle opponents, mark tighter, be more expressive) since the latest update.

My lineup is the following:

SK - CWB - CD - CD - CWB - HB - AP - DLP (SP) - IF - IF (S) - TQ
Trapp Clyne Caulker Doria Corchia Wanyama Hughes Ward Prowse Redmond Rodriguez Berahino

This lineup with these instructions led my Southampton team to 1 EL cup, multiple BPL wins, 3 FA cups in a row, and 2 CL

But after the latest update, it just doesn't work. The results aren't there, the performance levels have decreased dramatically.

Should I change my CWB's to WB's with an automatic function?

Have you had similar issues? If not, can you give me any recommendations as to what may be wrong in my approach?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I don't think using CWBs at RB or LB is good. EVER.

I only use them further up. I'd change to WBs, yes. They leave less holes

Yeah, CWBs act more like wingers, so using them with a 2 man defence usually doesn't work. I use them in a 3-5-2 and they're fantastic, scoring 10+ a season.

Actually, it depends on the CWBs. I use an IF on support and a winger on attack, so both tend to drift a little to the centre instead of hugging the line. I've found that my CWB are brilliant for me. Especially, a CWB with a good Teamwork/Workrate attribute means that he'll also track back quite often. And they get plenty of assists, and many goals too.

It basically depends on what you want them to do. If you need more attacking width, with slightly lesser defensive duties, then go for CWB. If you need less attacking width/options but more defensive stability, go for wingbacks. WB tend to cross more often, so if you're using them, a good shout is to cross from deep.

Actually, it depends on the CWBs. I use an IF on support and a winger on attack, so both tend to drift a little to the centre instead of hugging the line. I've found that my CWB are brilliant for me. Especially, a CWB with a good Teamwork/Workrate attribute means that he'll also track back quite often. And they get plenty of assists, and many goals too.

It basically depends on what you want them to do. If you need more attacking width, with slightly lesser defensive duties, then go for CWB. If you need less attacking width/options but more defensive stability, go for wingbacks. WB tend to cross more often, so if you're using them, a good shout is to cross from deep.

That's the thing, I usually have offensive tactics while trying to maintain a balance that my HB and CD's cover while the CWB's provide flank offense. For some reason, this balance isn't there anymore, and I've always had very strong players at that position.

I have Clyne and Corchia as my CWB's (Ward and Haidara as backups). Offensivelly they're very solid while overlapping, they cut inside and provide support for my IF's. i tried switching one of my IF's to W but while I did that my W kept crashing with my CWB's, mainly because both would look to hug the touchline more often than cutting inside, while on the other flank things remained kosher.
I'll try some games with the WB on automatic to see if I can regain some of that balance.
Thx!!

Yeah, CWBs act more like wingers, so using them with a 2 man defence usually doesn't work. I use them in a 3-5-2 and they're fantastic, scoring 10+ a season.

That was my intention. While my IF's cut inside, my CWB's overlap to basically have a 5 man attacking line with my AP and DLP's behind them providing playmaking and opening up spaces. That's why I changed to CWB's in the first place, because my WB's weren't getting it done in that fashion (all with the intention is keeping the ball on the opponents half as much as possible).

Gael Clichy and Seamus Coleman were two AMAZING CWB's for me. I think Coleman scored close to 20 goals and Clichy had around 13. Insane goal amount for CWB's!

Gael Clichy and Seamus Coleman were two AMAZING CWB's for me. I think Coleman scored close to 20 goals and Clichy had around 13. Insane goal amount for CWB's!

What formation are you using to get such great production from your CWB's?

Are your AM's IF or W's?
They were actually CAM's, playing the roles of Shadow Strikers with the lone ST being F9. Won the BPL, EL, and FA cup first season. Second season I won Community Shield, SuperCup, CL, and FA cup. Missed out on the BPL title by a point to City.

That's the thing, I usually have offensive tactics while trying to maintain a balance that my HB and CD's cover while the CWB's provide flank offense. For some reason, this balance isn't there anymore, and I've always had very strong players at that position.

I have Clyne and Corchia as my CWB's (Ward and Haidara as backups). Offensivelly they're very solid while overlapping, they cut inside and provide support for my IF's. i tried switching one of my IF's to W but while I did that my W kept crashing with my CWB's, mainly because both would look to hug the touchline more often than cutting inside, while on the other flank things remained kosher.
I'll try some games with the WB on automatic to see if I can regain some of that balance.
Thx!!

That's part of the problem, maybe? Both of your CWB are Right-footed. A CWB is supposed to cut in occasionally, not every time. A CWB is supposed to go forward and attack, provide attacking width, and if an opportunity arises, try to shoot. If you have a CWB and an IF both cutting inside, that is bound to cause more problems. Try using a left footed CWB for LB to see if it works, CWB works wonders for me.

As for winger not working out, yeah, that is natural. If your winger has a 'Hugs Touchline' or 'Sticks to the Left' or something similar, it's bound to cause problems, since you'll effectively have two wingers. Incase you're having a winger, try a WB with cross from deep instructions. My winger has no such PPM, so when he's on Attack, he tries to drift to the centre when the opportunity arises, so that my CWB has more place to do his task.

I usually find that if you're trying to play a possession based game, wingbacks are the way to go because CWB will get too far up the pitch for them to be an outlet for short passes.

And vice versa with direct based game, CWB's are the way to go.