Changing a Surname

Jamie92

Reaction score
I am currently seriously considering changing my name to my mothers maiden name as my mother and father have agreed to divorce and I have never got on with or liked my father and have had many scraps with him. I want to change my name as soon as possible, but i'm not quite sure how to do it. Ive looked on the deedpoll website and everything looks cosha but it can't be that easy just fill out a form and your name is changed, has anyone got any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

I'd ask your mam first if it's ok to change to her surname rather than going behind both your mam and dad's back to do it as it might cause arguments between them both. It would be unfair to not consult them on it.

Yes, my mother knows and supports me 100%. I just wanted to know if it was as easy as it looks?

Yes it is as far as i am aware, the catch comes if you want to change again either back to original name or to a different one, it's a lot more difficult and time consuming.

Thanks Jake, do you know if everywhere recognises it too, like passport and driving license etc. Will they allow it?

On your passport you have to have the name on your birth certificate, and possibly your driving license not sure about that one..

So I would always have to live in someway with my birth name?

I'm only going buy the experience my employees have had when they've changed name through marriage etc, but yes deed poll name changes are recognised as legit for all major forms of identification. You may have to go through lengthier processes to acquire said I.D. ie they will want to know all your original details as well as your current name etc.

Yeah as long you change your name officially they have to recognise it. It's like getting married and changing your maiden name to your husband's surname. You'll just have to send your passport/driving licence off etc to be changed.

It is as simple as filling in a form, but u have to pay a fee around 60pounds.

The money is no issue, I just wanted to know how to do it, it seemed like there was a catch or something, just seemed too easy. Thanks anyway.

The money is no issue, I just wanted to know how to do it, it seemed like there was a catch or something, just seemed too easy. Thanks anyway.

We are a country who loves filling forms, so it's to be expected really :p

Wouldn't your mum be able to help you out with this no?