Changing formation while attacking/defending

LukeFM123

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a way to change formation while attacking, for example Tottenham have Dier sit back when they attack as they go to a back 3 of sorts. Same with Liverpool and Henderson when he plays. IS there a way to replicate this in football manager?

You're describing a half back.

Have your holding midfielder (I'm assuming you're playing something like a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 with two deeper midfielders) play one of the more defensive roles (halfback, anchor man, etc.) and you'll create something close to the pseudo-back 3. I'm assuming you're imagining something like the Busquets role?

Have your holding midfielder (I'm assuming you're playing something like a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 with two deeper midfielders) play one of the more defensive roles (halfback, anchor man, etc.) and you'll create something close to the pseudo-back 3. I'm assuming you're imagining something like the Busquets role?
yes thank you my man

No problem, you might have to experiment some with his role and duty to get it to work exactly the way you want, but in general, having a holding mid or deep central mid on a more conservative role and defend duty should get you something close to what you're looking for.