Status
Not open for further replies.
March 2013

images

EXETER CITY
(season 1)

images

As soon as the plane touched down, I was whisked straight to a waiting car, laid on by Exeter City chairman Edward Chorlton and rushed down the M5 to St James' Park, home of Exeter City Football Club.
I barely had time to have a quick wash and some breakfast, when Mr Chorlton was in my presence, greeting me with the official club tracksuit, that I've chosen on wearing, before thrusting me in front of a small audience, made up of local TV and Radio reporters and other Exeter City board members waiting for my first interview.

Reporter: " You have been appointed manager at a time when the season is closing fast. What are your targets for the final 9 games? "

Me: " Well, we currently sit in 16th, with 45 points and the team in the final playoff place has 53 points, so the aim has to be to see if we can put a run together and sneak into the playoffs. "

Reporter: " You currently have no backroom staff, due to the old staff following Paul Tisdale out the door. Will you bring in the same team as you had working with you in France? "

Me: " No, I think it's unlikely I will bring them in. Anyway, with the greatest of respect to my previous backroom team, they don't have the experience I'm looking for to help me in the short and long term. "

Reporter: " This is a big step up from managing in the 3rd tier in France. Are You up to the challenge that awaits? "

Me: " Erm NO!! Haha. Yes of course I am, otherwise I wouldn't be sat here. "

Reporter: " Finally, do you have any regrets about not finishing what you started at FC Bourg-Peronnas? "

Me: " No, I was given the opportunity to start my managerial career in France and I was given various tasks to achieve, which I believe I did and took the club to the next level with the resources that were available to me. And when I heard about the opportunity to come back to England I took it with both hands and I'm very much looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my career. Thank you. "

With the press conference out the way, it was now time to start looking at bringing in a backroom team, that will help me take the club forward. Before I made my way to the office, to make my way through a pile of application forms for the various vacancies that were available, Director of Football, Steve Perryman, was taking the morning training session with the first team squad, so I went out and introduced myself to Steve and the squad.

View attachment 318465

As you can see from the league table, if we can get an unbeaten run together in the remaining 9 games and have some results go our way, we could stand a chance of being involved in the playoffs at the end of the season.

should have stayed but will still be reading

It was such a hard decision mate, but I felt that with the lack of money and youth system, I wouldn't be able to achieve what I wanted, especially as the level of players available wouldn't of strengthened my squad, so felt it right to move on. Hopefully I have made the right choice!!

Cheers mate, hope you will still be interested. Only first season, so lots of time for more twists and moves.

It was such a hard decision mate, but I felt that with the lack of money and youth system, I wouldn't be able to achieve what I wanted, especially as the level of players available wouldn't of strengthened my squad, so felt it right to move on. Hopefully I have made the right choice!!

Cheers mate, hope you will still be interested. Only first season, so lots of time for more twists and moves.

i see your point well good luck with the new job will defo be still reading

March 2013

images

In the build up to my first league game against Aldershot, I had to act quickly to bring in a backroom team to help ***ist me for the remainder of the season and then to prepare the team for my first full season in charge, where ultimately I will be judged on whether I'm capable of managing at this level.
Appointing an Assistant Manager with experience at this level was the first position I looked to fill. Due to Exeter's lowly position and relegation last year from League 1, there weren't many options for me to approach. After meeting with a couple of possible candidates for the role, I decided to hire ex Accrington and Rochdale Assistant Jimmy Bell on a 2 year deal.
Next in through the door was Technique Coach Lee Duxbury, Fitness Coach Scott Taylor and Tactics and Defending Coach Richard Jackson.
I brought in former West Ham and Walsall keeper Jimmy Walker to work with the Goalkeepers and then hired Duncan Russell as Physio.

View attachment 318910

My Assistant, Jimmy Bell, got to work immediately producing an in-depth report of the squad and highlighting the areas that need strengthening and the players who have a future at the club.

View attachment 318911View attachment 318912View attachment 318913

Artur Krysiak - To me it's crucial to have a quality keeper between the sticks and in Krysiak, I feel we have a young, talented Goalie who will be vital for any success we could have.

Liam Sercombe - Liam is our hot prospect, a centre midfield who will do important jobs in both halves of the pitch.

Alan Gow - Alot of our attacking play will be focused through Alan, as he is my best attacker in the whole squad and provides us with valuable experience.

NPower League 2
Saturday 9th March 2013
St James' Park. Att: 3,486

Exeter (1 - 0) Aldershot
Sercombe

Delighted to win my first game in charge, especially as we are missing some key players
who will fit in nicely to the way I'm keen on us playing. Also, pleasing that we had 60% possession and created lots of chances to with our superiority.

NPower League 2
Tuesday 12th March 2013
Victoria Road. Att: 1,497

Dag & Red (1 - 0) Exeter

It was a frustrating evening as we looked far too relaxed and couldn't even get the basics right against a side below us in the league.

NPower League 2
Saturday 16th March 2013
St James' Park. Att: 3,026

Exeter (2 - 1) Burton
O'Flynn(2)

Two fantastic goals by the fit again John O'Flynn proved enough as we bounced back from the poor performance during the week.

NPower League 2
Saturday 30th March 2013
Vale Park. Att: 4,168

Port Vale (0 - 2) Exeter
O'Flynn, Molesley

Another fine win and a much better away performance. We dominated right from the off and it's nice
to see the team starting to adapt to the style of play and tactics that I'm introducing.

The following morning after we arrived back from Stoke-on-Trent, I met with Director of Football Steve Perryman to discuss some potential loan targets that I'm hoping to bring in, before the Free Transfer and Loan window closes tonight.
With my list of targets presented to Steve, I left him to make the relevant offers and I switched my attentions to training and preparing for our next league game.

TRANSFERS IN.

View attachment 318915View attachment 318916View attachment 318917

Stephen Sama(on loan from Liverpool) - I've brought Stephen in as cover in defence and hopefully his experience training at Liverpool will add quality competition for the remainder of the season.

Alex Wynter(on loan from Crystal Palace) - Alex is a player I've been monitoring since I took over and with Matthew Lund's loan ending soon, he will add more options to my midfield and prove to me I should make the deal permanent in the summer.

Jason Banton(on loan from Crystal Palace) - Another player I've been watching and I'm delighted Jason has joined, as he will give us a bigger threat in the inside forward position, allowing Mark Molesley to return to a more central role.

View attachment 318918

A very good start with 3 wins and 1 loss. The 9 points have taken us to within touching distance of the playoffs, with only a 4 point gap from ourselves in 13th to Chesterfield in 6th. With the new signings training with the squad before our next game against Southend, we have given ourselves an outside chance of extending the current campaign.

April 2013

images

NPower League 2
Monday 1st April 2013
St James' Park. Att: 3,388

Exeter (2 - 1) Southend
Gow, Baldwin

Great win to make it 3 in a row. We took the lead with a fine finish from Alan Gow, only to be pegged back 2 minutes later. We kept working hard and we rewarded with 5 minutes left when Pat Baldwin headed home.

NPower League 2
Saturday 6th April 2013
Underhill. Att: 1,785

Barnet (1 - 0) Exeter

How we lost I don't know, well I do, and the officials certainly knew about my frustrations in the post match interview. We had 3 goals disallowed and though one was offside, the other 2 were very dubious. It was no surprise that despite our domination, that our bottom of the league opposition would score with their only attack.

NPower League 2
Saturday 13th April 2013
St James' Park. Att: 3,273

Exeter (4 - 4) Rochdale
Sercombe, O'Flynn(2), Molesley

Not a game blessed with great defending, but an enjoyable one for any neutrals watching. Both sides threw away leading positions and crucially it was us who literally gave 2 points away, when our keeper took a goal kick straight to the opposition striker who levelled the scores in the 87th minute.

NPower League 2
Saturday 20th April 2013
New York Stadium. Att: 10,611

Rotherham (0 - 1) Exeter
O'Flynn

Fantastic away win and providing results go our way, we will go into our last game needing a win to claim a playoff place. The defence were outstanding today, keeping the hosts in-form striker pairing at bay, with an impressive performance.

NPower League 2
Saturday 27th April 2013
St James' Park. Att: 6,034

Exeter (0 - 2) Torquay

We knew before the game that we wouldn't make the playoffs, as other results didn't go our way last weekend. But facing a fierce rival meant it would be great to end the season with a win and send the supporters home happy.
Unfortunately, the team were very poor and looked as though they had already left for their holidays, as we didn't even have a shot on goal, instead we were more interested conceding fouls and picking up needless bookings. A very very poor way to end the campaign.

View attachment 319482View attachment 319483

END OF SEASON REVIEW.

Looking back at the 9 games I was in charge of has given me an idea of the areas that need strengthening and to create the spaces I need, I will immediately start getting rid of the players that didn't produce the levels I expect as manager.
Next season, with promotion high on the chairman's expectations, we will need to raise our performances to a much higher standard if we are to achieve our aim. This will mean playing much better against lower opposition and in making sure we our at our premium fitness levels, I've ordered the squad to be back early for pre-season, so we can have longer to prepare with the new formation I've introduced and philosophy I'm looking to play and allow any new signings time to settle into the group.

unlucky with the last games i think you will go up next season

unlucky with the last games i think you will go up next season

I know mate, was so frustrating, thought I was going to sneak it. Yeah hope I can get promotion, if I don't, can see chairman getting rid of me, lol. Need to bring some quality and then I should be ok. Cheers. :)

I know mate, was so frustrating, thought I was going to sneak it. Yeah hope I can get promotion, if I don't, can see chairman getting rid of me, lol. Need to bring some quality and then I should be ok. Cheers. :)
if he does hes a **** dont think he could get any 1 better keep the good work

July/August 2013

images

Exeter City
(Season 2)

Pre-Season

Back from a short pre-season break and I got straight into making big decisions on and off the pitch to help us this season. Jimmy Bell, my ***istant Manager, was sacked and brought into replace him was Ray Mathias. Ray will bring in much needed experience and guidance to all the players, having previously held a similar position at MK Dons, Blackburn and Stockport.
Also leaving the club was Scout John Milton and in his place I added Paul Lowe.

On the playing side of things was where I made the biggest changes with no less than 18 players leaving the club either as their contracts ran out or I released them on a free. Only Samba Kanoute brought in a transfer fee, when I sold him to Northampton for £9,000.
With over half the squad leaving the club, it not only freed up extra space, but brought some much needed additional wages that can be put towards future transfer fees.

Players In.

View attachment 319863

Teddy Kayombo - Teddy was brought in on a free transfer to add more competition for the centre backs. He was a player that I had my eye on from my time in France and am keen on helping him make the step up.

View attachment 319864

Daniel Powell - The signing of Daniel will hopefully show the rest of the division that we mean buisness this season. Following MK Dons relegation, Daniel was available on a free transfer and will be playing a key role in the inside forward position.

View attachment 319865

Dan Holman - I'm hoping Dan will prove to be a good bit of buisness for £10,000. With his goalscoring exploits in the Blue Square Prem, where he netted 14 times, I hope he can prove the doubters wrong and score goals at this level and play a big part for us.

View attachment 319870

Simon Ramsden - Simon has signed on loan for 5 months from Scottish Premier League side Motherwell and will go straight into the right back position and will hopefully add some stability to our defence.

View attachment 319872

Richard Wright - After the release of Rhys Evans, I needed to bring in another keeper and with Richard available on a free he was the suitable option.

View attachment 319873

Jamie Reckford - Another loan signing, who will provide decent back up in the left back area for the 5 months he is with us.

Despite bringing in some good players who will help improve the depth of the squad, I'm slightly worried that I haven't been able to improve the midfield area that is vital to how I like to play. So I'm hoping to add more players very soon, but will onlyenter the market for the right player and for the time being I will be keeping faith with what I have and will try to bring the best of their ability out in the friendlies, to see if they can change my mind on them.

View attachment 319889View attachment 319890

Disaster has struck, my FM game is saying its got a corrupt file. Will try and see if I can get it working, if not I'll have to re-load FM and start again. Sorry for those who are following. If I have to start a new story, is there anything I should add or not do, as I'm very happy with the layout I produce.

Thx

Disaster has struck, my FM game is saying its got a corrupt file. Will try and see if I can get it working, if not I'll have to re-load FM and start again. Sorry for those who are following. If I have to start a new story, is there anything I should add or not do, as I'm very happy with the layout I produce.

Thx
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loved this so far hope you cab save it but if you have to start again dont change anything its a very good read

Thanks mate, I'm just trying one last thing to see if I can rescue it. Gutted if I do lose it, but have an idea and country to start a new save and story in. Thx, appreciate the comments and follow.

Thanks mate, I'm just trying one last thing to see if I can rescue it. Gutted if I do lose it, but have an idea and country to start a new save and story in. Thx, appreciate the comments and follow.

well if you have to star over just let me know and i will defo be following

I've tried to rescue my save, but unfortunately I can't do it, sorry Guys.

I will re-install FM and start another save and story soon.

Hope you will still follow. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
The story is over... I sure will follow your next one! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.