Chasing Barcelona

This is a very interesting topic. One thing I have to say is that for at least the next year or two, Barcelona can continue about their business as they do now. But once Villa, Xavi and Puyol start to fade out then they are going to have to rely on players from the B team or signings that in recent times haven't always worked. I reckon that once Guardiola leaves (I can't see him staying more than 3 more seasons) then Barca as a club will go through a transition phase. Hopefully for the other teams, it will knock Barca out of their stride. The big thing is to see how can the older players be replaced once they start to fade out and can they keep up what they ared doing now. If they can, then I guess we have 5-7 more years of Barca mauling nearly everyone.

Real Madrid if they can get it all together are extremely dangerous, you can never write them off. Manchester United will be better this year but I doubt they can really challenger Barca. No other team as of now really stands out

Real Madrid are a real threat. They have much bigger squad depth than Barcelona (maybe a bit too big) and some really strong players. I see them as the 2nd best team in the world.

Barcelona are not unbeatable, they're close, but they're not.

This is a very interesting topic. One thing I have to say is that for at least the next year or two, Barcelona can continue about their business as they do now. But once Villa, Xavi and Puyol start to fade out then they are going to have to rely on players from the B team or signings that in recent times haven't always worked. I reckon that once Guardiola leaves (I can't see him staying more than 3 more seasons) then Barca as a club will go through a transition phase. Hopefully for the other teams, it will knock Barca out of their stride. The big thing is to see how can the older players be replaced once they start to fade out and can they keep up what they ared doing now. If they can, then I guess we have 5-7 more years of Barca mauling nearly everyone.

Real Madrid if they can get it all together are extremely dangerous, you can never write them off. Manchester United will be better this year but I doubt they can really challenger Barca. No other team as of now really stands out

You make some very good points.. just wanted to point out that Jose has very cleverly put madrid out of the headline this off season.. he knows this team man for man can stand up to Barce and now he building a stable team (which IMO is only thing Barce have over madrid) Jose is bringing in young good hard workers to complimant our skillfull players.. I honestly beleive Madrid are a match for Barce I dont wanna get into a shouting match with anyone but all of Barce's faults came out last season...yea i know weird to say as they won Eufa and la Liga but last year they were much more vulnerable
could this b down to lack of motivation? or where the legs running out, I beleive it was option two as evidance I will point out there urgent desire to get a deputy for Xavi (Fab) and even a alternative to Messi ( Sanchez ) I think Barce fear that there one dimensional approach may be countered sooner than later, Madrid already came close...

Bump.

Anyone got any thoughts on this now?
Seems I was wrong and Madrid will topple them this season, as I can't see them throwing away a 6 (?) point lead at this stage of the season.

Bump.

Anyone got any thoughts on this now?
Seems I was wrong and Madrid will topple them this season, as I can't see them throwing away a 6 (?) point lead at this stage of the season.

I said it earlier "Ive mentioned this before, but i feel they may have the same problem as Saachi's Milan in keeping the hunger and the sheer amount of work it takes, mentally and physically. Pep is already looking so haggard. But i see where the writer is coming from, its hard to see where thy can find another level, and the rest will have taken note"

Pep looks spent, and is increasingly looking like he will take a break from the game. They are doing well in bringing some excellent youth players, and they may well win the CL but a little shine has come off. Good thing for them that Messi seems to be getting better and better.

If barca's youth setup can produce another puyol and another villa and xavi barca will remain in the top 3 clubs for a while yet, but man utd and real madrid are catching them up fast with their own younger generation.

I firmly believe that Barce fear one team, Chelsea. Hiddink almost beat them 2 years ago if refereeing decisions were made correctly. The pure fitness and physicality plus the organisation of the Chelsea team scares Barcelona, they fear Walcott+Chelsea... Not unbeatable but undoubtedly a truly great team.

Will make that one of my blog topics today, brilliant article by Hunter and I'll try to assess how European teams can catch Barce in this window and the reality as I see it of how they can be beaten tactically.

I know this was written a long time ago but this is genuinly the feeling i have too. Now we have a pretty decent chance of facing them again and i am looking forward to the prospect of it. I think the first leg being at home will also help us as most knockouts we have lost that i can remember the home leg being the 2ng leg. I think you hit the nail on the head with Chelsea's fitness and physicality and i think now along with the know how i would not write us off if the game happens.

I said it earlier "Ive mentioned this before, but i feel they may have the same problem as Saachi's Milan in keeping the hunger and the sheer amount of work it takes, mentally and physically. Pep is already looking so haggard. But i see where the writer is coming from, its hard to see where thy can find another level, and the rest will have taken note"

Pep looks spent, and is increasingly looking like he will take a break from the game. They are doing well in bringing some excellent youth players, and they may well win the CL but a little shine has come off. Good thing for them that Messi seems to be getting better and better.

I hope Pep doesn't take a break from the game, as I want to see him prove it somewhere else. It's easy to win everything when you have the best players in the world who have pretty much grew up together playing next to each other.

I hope Pep doesn't take a break from the game, as I want to see him prove it somewhere else. It's easy to win everything when you have the best players in the world who have pretty much grew up together playing next to each other.

That may be true, but he doesn get enough plaudits for the fact he helped many of them come through as youth and reserve manager.

Take a break and come to United, Pep

That may be true, but he doesn get enough plaudits for the fact he helped many of them come through as youth and reserve manager.

Take a break and come to United, Pep

Oh yeah, you definitely can't argue with that. Debatable as to whether Messi would be the player he is today without Pep's guidance as well.

**** United, get yourself to Anfield Pep. (dreaming).