Reaction score
I'd like to start off with stating I've played FM since '08, and I've generally played either Norwegian Tippeliga (The top tier) or Italian Serie C2 (Fourth tier) and made my way to the Serie A. For FM14 I decided to try out the Skrill South in the English league system.

There are a few massive problems with the current incarnation that mars the enjoyability of the game. First and foremost, the player AI has been given a few extra chromosomes. I've seen so many ridiculous passes attempted, players intercepting their own team's passes, keepers who keep "sliding" out of the box and handballing, defenders moving out of the way of attackers when standing them off etc. This affected both teams and not just mine, but it has still resulted in a frivolous amount of swearing. I am aware I am managing a team in a league that isn't exactly known for its high quality football, but it appears to be due to match engine and not the player attributes. I have only played half a season, but that just serves to highlight the point - all of this happened in a relative short space of time.

Secondly, instructions don't seem to work - I've been 1-0 up with a few minutes to go, so I naturally change to 'Contain.' Now, what you would've thought would happen is you'd get at least 10 men behind the ball. Not so. My players kept rushing up the field, leaving my defence woefully exposed. This has happened several times. This has actually made the game somewhat harder.

I am aware that certain editions of FM had some problems, from difficulty to transfers to match engine problems, such as the utterly dominant 4-2-31 formation or the impossibility of playing 3 centre backs. Many, but not all, of these problems are solved a few months after release, which is why I waited until this summer to buy FM13. If I'd known FM14 would be this bad I would've done the same this year.

Has anyone else experienced these problems, or is this limited to the lower leagues?