Chedwyn Evans

Alcaraz

Reaction score
So as you all may know, Ched Evans was recently released from prison after serving a 2.5 year sentence for rape. He used to play for Sheffeild United before his conviction and by all accounts, he was a good striker at his level.

Recently, Sheffeild United have come out and said that they are considering to sign him back which has provoked a massive backlash from various groups of fans

So really the question here is, should players who have been convicted of crimes such as rape, molestation, child **** etc. be allowed back into football? I would be very interested to hear everyone's opinions

Last edited:
I'd have to say no, he shouldn't be allowed play again. Personal opinions aside, it surely wouldn't make sense for Sheffield United to sign him anyways, he'd probably be out of shape after that time in prison, and the bad PR would far outweigh any positives.

Sure - you cant stop people who have served the time given, going back to work. English Football is clearly not gonna let him get a shot at going back, might as well go sign for a team abroad.

I'd have to say no, he shouldn't be allowed play again. Personal opinions aside, it surely wouldn't make sense for Sheffield United to sign him anyways, he'd probably be out of shape after that time in prison, and the bad PR would far outweigh any positives.

Apparently he kept himself fit in prison ... Obviously would attract a lot of bad PR but my question really is whether we should give people like him a route back into football regardless of the practical implications

He should move to USA they love a story of a reformed athlete!

I personally would give him a trial and if he does well enough re-sign him....the point of prison is for reform...if he has learned his lesson he should be allowed to continue his trade - However again he should move away from the UK

Wonder if any of the players will want to leave if he goes back, know i would.

Also gotta love his neanderthal supporters who abused the victim, vile scum they are.

He should be allowed to continue his career once he has served his punishment, as is the same with everybody that gets released from prison (baring a few occupations of course)

And besides, the actual incident was one of controversy. The girl never cried rape, couldn't remember what had happened and Evans was only convicted because he admitted to having *** with her. Had he denied even having *** then there was no case due to a lack of evidence and the witness not pursuing the conviction

His own honesty came close to ruining his life and it was far from a clear 'rape case'.. I dont think we'll ever know truly if he raped her or not

He should be allowed to continue his career once he has served his punishment, as is the same with everybody that gets released from prison (baring a few occupations of course)

And besides, the actual incident was one of controversy. The girl never cried rape, couldn't remember what had happened and Evans was only convicted because he admitted to having *** with her. Had he denied even having *** then there was no case due to a lack of evidence and the witness not pursuing the conviction

His own honesty came close to ruining his life and it was far from a clear 'rape case'.. I dont think we'll ever know truly if he raped her or not

I'm not clued up on it or anything apart from that he got convicted of rape and barely done anytime for a crime that vile, but she never cried rape? how could the case be that thin? surely they had something else unless the prosecutor is the best in the business.

I just can't see a pro footballer getting convicted of a crime like rape with a case that thin.

Also apparently left the hotel via the fire escape which to me is strange no matter how coked up or drunk you are unless the escape was right next to the room you were occupying.

Last edited:
I'm not clued up on it or anything apart from that he got convicted of rape and barely done anytime for a crime that vile, but she never cried rape? how could the case be that thin? surely they had something else unless the prosecutor is the best in the business.

I just can't see a pro footballer getting convicted of a crime like rape with a case that thin.

Also apparently left the hotel via the fire escape which to me is strange no matter how coked up or drunk you are unless the escape was right next to the room you were occupying.

Ched Evans Was Wrongly Convicted of Rape on 20th April 2012 | Ched Evans Official Website

Have a read of that, interesting stuff... however, do remember it may be biased towards him for obvious reason.

But nonetheless it doesn't seem a very strong case against him. I'm not saying he is innocent and if he has committed the crime deserves everything he gets

Ched Evans Was Wrongly Convicted of Rape on 20th April 2012 | Ched Evans Official Website

Have a read of that, interesting stuff... however, do remember it may be biased towards him for obvious reason.

But nonetheless it doesn't seem a very strong case against him. I'm not saying he is innocent and if he has committed the crime deserves everything he gets

I'm coming from a direction that he did do it, i know that's probably wrong but the sick twats (not all) who are in support of him the way they treated the victim and to this day continue to talk about her like she's trash. Just drives me up the wall, and these people who are defending aren't doing because they think the law was wrong they are muppets who are defending him because he plays football and they like him are "lads".

Now not all defending him are like this but most. The misogynistic, lad, rape is funny culture in this country is awful but that's a whole different discussion.

Last edited:
He did it, the question is whether or not it's rape to have *** with someone without express consent when they're very drunk.

Doesn't even matter though. If you believe in prison as a reformative, rather than vindictive, process then he should be free to restart his career. All the fuss people are kicking up over this should be focused on the way that our prisons act as little more than punitive holding cells.

I know a few people who have been inside, one said he hated it but others have said they didn't mind it because they got 3 meals a day and a free gym plus they then get out and get put on free courses to learn a trade, brick laying for example. Now i'm not sure all had that but one i know for certain did and he now owns or is a part owner of a company.

He deserves a second chance. If we're going to blackball him from the profession that he's spent his entire life training for, then we might as well had just left him in jail.

He deserves a second chance. If we're going to blackball him from the profession that he's spent his entire life training for, then we might as well had just left him in jail.

I kind of agree with this but take away this case and for example use a nailed on guilty rapist or multi rapist i'd have a very very hard time forgiving them and letting them continue in a profession like football.

For me it's the lowest of the low along with child molestation, i don't care who you are or what your excuses are. I cannot fathom what the victim must go through during and post act.

Okay let's not even discuss whether he was truly guilty of rape or not. If two courts uphold his conviction for rape then that's good enough for me

Imo, he committed a despicable act yes. He served his time as well. He should be given a chance to restart his life especially in an occupation which has been his bread and butter

I kind of agree with this but take away this case and for example use a nailed on guilty rapist or multi rapist i'd have a very very hard time forgiving them and letting them continue in a profession like football.

For me it's the lowest of the low along with child molestation, i don't care who you are or what your excuses are. I cannot fathom what the victim must go through during and post act.

Doesn't matter whether you forgive him or not. The real issue here is some people are trying to prevent a criminal who is trying to rehabilitate his life and provide a service in the only industry he knows, from doing so. It's not on.

Doesn't matter whether you forgive him or not. The real issue here is some people are trying to prevent a criminal who is trying to rehabilitate his life and provide a service in the only industry he knows, from doing so. It's not on.

The real issue is with how little time in jail convicted rapists get imo. You can't have an issue with Evans wanting to get back into the profession he's spent his whole life working towards, anyone in the same position would do the same. If sentencing was actually adequate then there wouldn't be an issue, mainly because as a footballer he would be too old once leaving prison for any kind of high profile career bar management.

The real issue is with how little time in jail convicted rapists get imo. You can't have an issue with Evans wanting to get back into the profession he's spent his whole life working towards, anyone in the same position would do the same. If sentencing was actually adequate then there wouldn't be an issue, mainly because as a footballer he would be too old once leaving prison for any kind of high profile career bar management.

Yeah, he served two and a half years of a five year sentence. Not really enough. Although that's more a complaint about our justice system rather than Evans himself.

I imagine most normal people would find it difficult to find employment with a *** crime agains their name. The simplistic argument is 'why should it be any different for the footballer?'

Of course there are many more levels to it than that, from the clubs point of view, there are not an infinite number of players of the required standard available, especially for no transfer fee and i imagine (at least initially) a small/heavily structured wage. So it can be seen as worth the gamble, even considering any potential backlash. The big thing here of course is that sponsors and patrons of the football club are already pulling out, or are threatening to do so if he is signed.

The player himself refutes the conviction and is already planning an appeal (his second i think) - The circumstances surrounding the case are questionable, but ultimately he has been convicted by a jury of his peers. People argue that he has shown no remorse at all so should not be looked upon favourably. He would argue that he can't show remorse for something he hasn't done.

Another point of view is, he has served his sentence, and should be allowed to continue his life, i do go back to my previous comment regarding most normal people struggling to find work with such a conviction on their record though.

Interesting point on how difficult it is for *** offenders to find a job once they are released. But then again, only a minority of *** offenders in general possess a high level of talent in a chosen field like Ched Evans. For example, even a financial whiz kid who is convicted of rape will find it easier to get a job once released compared to the average *** offender. I don't think it would be fair to hold it against Ched simply because he is skilled in a certain profession

Completely agree on the remorse point. Obviously a lot will depend on his second appeal. If that doesn't work out, I still hope he gets to play football but at the same time buckles down, shows remorse and helps educate youngsters telling them not to put themselves in compromising situations like he did