ChelseaFan257

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on this game, and I'm playing as Chelsea, as always. So far, I've had decent results (6 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses), but that includes a penalties win against Nottingham Forest in the first Capital One Cup game. In last year's game, I did pretty well with my tactics, but so far I'm just not feeling it this time around.

Here's what I'm using currently; it's the tactic that got me through an unbeaten debut season (not gonna lie, I did replay the CL final against Barcelona) with Chelsea FM12:

View attachment 282540View attachment 282541

I'm using default player instructions for every position.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any changes to these tactics, especially changes to player roles and duties to suit the players I have.

Also, maybe its just because he's new, but I spent a lot on Lewandowski hoping he could become my first-choice striker and maybe I could sell Torres in the second season, but so far the Spaniard's been impressive and the Pole's been weak. Any tips?

One other thing: In 2012, I used to always set the player roles/duties according to what each player was best at, ie changing them many times before and during every game. I'm not so sure that practice will work with 13? Any advise?

Danke.

P.S.: The attached thumbnails are the wrong screenies, mah bad. Please ignore. :)

Just noticed something else: the number of long shots is ridiculous! I had a game against Celtic, out of 24 total shots, 14 were from long range (and I still had 17 or 18 on target)! I have every player set to rarely attempt long shots, and I know players like Lamps are prone to it, but still!

Last edited:
I know, the long shots are out of control! Huddlestone is probably attempting 10-15 long shots every game for my QPR-side, and he's not even close to scoring! If they have "attempts long shots", you can always try to focus their training to stop doing that.

I'm in my 5th season now and I've experienced with a lot of tactics, trying to get inspiration from other fm-base members. I basically play the same formation as you, but I've moved my AM down to the midfield, now playing three midfielders with box-to-box, Advanced playmaker, and central midfield (defense) (in that order, from left to right). This is working out well, since I now play more passes through the oppositons defense from deeper positions, reducing the amount of long shots that occur when my team string a lot of passes together in front of the opposition's defense.

I see that you play with two inside forwards. That hasn't worked well for me in FM13 finding that the combination of an inside forward/winger is the best way to go (might only be my team though, but I'd advise you to try it). With three midfielders in the centre and no attacking midfielder I also play my striker as a complete forward.

Why do you play with your defensive line so deep? It's obvious that you are looking to control the games, so I would advise you to push your line up a bit, and maybe increase your width and tempo.

The deep backline is a relic of my team from FM12; I was struggling against any team with averagely pacey strikers. I'm finding that a higher line works okay with this game, though, seeing as Shawcross and M. Kelly are okay for pace.

Also, gonna give wingers a try, and I tweaked my tactic according to blueprint from TheBetterHalf's 4-2-3-1 (http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3748/nr1x.png). which leaves my team looking as follows:

View attachment 282655

Last edited:
hi try using a tactic using ur formation u have its called supermatt's nice flow v2.5
click here - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=6871

The deep backline is a relic of my team from FM12; I was struggling against any team with

averagely pacey strikers. I'm finding that a higher line works okay with this game, though, seeing as Shawcross and M. Kelly are okay for pace.

Also, gonna give wingers a try, and I tweaked my tactic according to blueprint from TheBetterHalf's 4-2-3-1 (http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3748/nr1x.png). which leaves my team looking as follows:

View attachment 282655

Last edited:
View attachment 283003View attachment 283004 View attachment 283005
Mata/Hazard swap positions throughout the game. Oscar drops deeper (training him in the correct ppm will help) to free up room for Mata/Hazard to move inside. I also picked up Lewandowski in the first season, and he performed decently, the goals however mainly come from the wide players.

Mikel is ultra defensive and same with Ramires, but he at least is given some license to burst forward.

Terry won't be of much use as this tactic utilizes a high line. Most other players you have will have value as tactical replacements. ie. Marin/Moses for more direct counterattacking (set them as winger/inside forward rather than adv. playmaker/inside forward. Need more long range shooting prowress to beat a team that is just parking the bus? Swap in Lampard for Ramires/Mikel, and allow him to shoot on sight as a cm-support role.