Chelsea v Newcastle - Stamford Bridge Wednesday 7:45 PM GMT

dannyck

Reaction score
V

Premier League Champions Chelsea face Championship Winners Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday in the Third Round of the Carling Cup.

The Blues are in top form. Since tasting defeat to Manchester United in the Community Shield, Carlo Ancelotti's charges have gone from strength to strength by scoring 25 goals in all competitions since. The emphatic nature of this statistic is showcased through the goals-per-game ratio, which puts the west London club at over four goals a match.

They have also begun well in their quest to claim the European crown, as their first game in the Champions League - away to MSK Zilina - saw them travel to Slovakia and obtain a 4-1 victory.

However, the Italian boss is expected to field a few of his fringe players for this encounter, keeping in mind the tough set of fixtures that lie ahead.

Ancelotti's men have a trip to Manchester City this weekend, with Olympique Marseille breathing down their necks in the Champions League. They then have a blockbuster fixture against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge, before a visit to Aston Villa which will be followed by the long distance trip to Russia to take on Spartak Moscow.

So the League Cup tie is likely to be used by the manager as a way to give his non-regular players a run out. Danny Sturridge, Gael Kakuta, Ross Turnbull, Tamas Kalas, Fabio Borini and Ramires are all expected to start.

Newcastle United have had a relatively decent start to the season, which began with a loss to Manchester United on the opening day. But that was followed by an emphatic 6-0 victory over Aston Villa. Their recent loss to Blackpool also proved to be a minor hiccup, as they outclassed and outplayed Everton in a recent 1-0 victory at Goodison Park.

The manager of the Tyneside club, Chris Hughton, has confirmed that he will use this encounter to give some of his fringe players a chance to put in a strong performance and challenge for a first-team spot. Sol Campbell is also set to make his first-team bow at the |London Ground.

Hughton said: "We will use the squad and there will be significant changes.

"I don’t mind the supporters who are travelling down knowing that. We have a lot of options and there will be changes to the team."
Possible Starting XI's
Chelsea

Turnbull

Van Aanholt Ivanovic Alex Bruma​
Ramires

Zhirkov Benayoun

Kakuta Sturridge Borini

Newcastle

Krul

Kadar Campbell Tavenier R. Taylor

Lovenkrands Donaldson

Vukcic Ferguson

Ameobi Ranger
http://www.chelseafc.com/

Tavernier would not play CB, he's a FB. Kadar is a CB/LB and Ryan Taylor plays RB when in defence. And wtf is Lovenkrands doing in CM? I suspect the team will be stronger than that, you're going beyond 'fringe' into youth + a few squad players.

yep lovenrands isnt in the centre i put him on the left but when i posted it changed, and thats a probable line ups so... sorry for trying to show some initiative and get a good footballing disucssion on the site, and kadar is a lb

i'm going to this game, and personally, I'd love to see Kakuta, Mellis, van Aanholt, Borini etc. :D

yeh i think the chelsea youngsters are quality, many of them dont get much experience so it should be good for them, personally looking forward to seeing mellis and kakuta :)

So the League Cup tie is likely to be used by the manager as a way to give his non-regular players a run out. Danny Sturridge, Gael Kakuta, Ross Turnbull, Tamas Kalas, Fabio Borini and Ramires are all expected to start.​

Wait a sec, isn't Kalas out on loan to Sigma oO)​

Tomas Kalas obviously wont be starting as he has gone back on loan to the team we signed him from but kakuta, strurridge, van aanholt and bruma will start :)

yeye, im looking out for a few of them many people rave on about arsenals youngsters, but chelsea also have quality youth players.

looking forward to seeing some of the youngsters tomorrow. Definate starts for Van Aanholt, Bruma, Kakuta and Sturridge. I think we might also see Turnbull, Ramires and Zhirkov so abit of mix and match which is always best. Im predicting 2-0 to Chelsea.

Yep i think the younsters will trash magpies, so im sayin 2/3-1 maybe.But if chelsea score early they could run away with it espescially if newcastle play a inexperienced cb partnership.

Chelsea have named 15 year old England U21 Nathinel Chalobah on the bench, If he features he will become Chelsea's youngest ever player.

Stay Positive. Stay Positive. Stay Positive.

Stay Positive. Stay Positive. Stay Positive.

i think it will be a good open game mate just because your main goal is to stay up and this is our least wanted trophey.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Gk: Turnbull
dr: Ferriera
dl: Van aanholt
dc: Terry
dc: Bruma
mc: Ramires
mc: Benayoun
mc: Zhirkov
st:kakuta
st: Anelka
st: Sturridge

subs:
Sebek
kalou
alex
mceachran
clifford
mellis
chalobah

2-1 Chelsea. its the carling cup so i am not expecting tons of goals.

A 15 year old on the bench? ****** ****.
When ancelotti said he was going to give the youth a chance i didn't think he meant that young. XD

We are going to get...

Whipped.

Anelka vs Campbell + kids will be an interesting battle, probably more enjoyable for Chelsea though...