Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I finally have my 433 tactic working the way I want it. And you can say it`s tried and tested. I`m playing with Portsmouth myself and I`m in my fourth season right now. I kept tweaking my tactic and now I finally have the tactic working and given me awesome results on the way. The first seasons I already had good results, I will post them here, but I had trouble with my striker functioning correctly. Now I finally have him involved in the game and scoring a good amount of goals, and my team is playing extremely well. I also had some frustrations with possession football not working out the way I wanted. It resulted mostly in long shots or needless passing around the box. I`ve also tackled this problem, so now my team finally plays nice attacks without endless frustrating passing, it finally feels nice watching my team, something that I was missing personally.

So what is this tactic about in general. It`s still a tactic based on short passing. Most of the time you still have more possession of the ball, but not a lot. I usually have around 57-60% possession of the ball. But besides that it`s all about actually doing something with the ball. I felt like possession football was not working this match engine and this tactic is all about doing something with the ball. This results in the creation of a fair amount of CCC every match.

First I will post the team tactic and instructions and will explain these. Than I will discus the player roles and duties. Finally I will post my own results with this tactic.

View attachment 444995View attachment 444994

Possession :

First short passing combined with pass into space is a great combination. It provides a good passing system but also keeps the players getting the ball forward whenever they can. Play out of defence is the backbone of this philosophy, as it minimizes the long ball and starts the short pass basis of the tactic in the defense. Retain possession and work ball into the box resulted to much in endless passing or long shots on goal. I tend to use these when I`m in front and want to take some speed out of the game. Than I use float crosses as this kind of cross seems to be most lethal in the game. Drill crosses resulted a lot in bad or hasty crosses.

Penetration :

I use exploit the flanks because it results in faster passing up front as I want to avoid all the fuss in the middle of the pitch. You will see I combine it with playing wider. Don`t think this means everything goes down the flank, people tend to think this, and that your central midfielders wont come into play. The opposite tends to be true, your central midfielders have way more space to play in the pitch to complete forward passing. Look for overlap is essential, as your backs are a vital part of your attacking game, and this results in your backs being a greater part in setting up attacks and creating an extra free man on top.

Shape :

Play wider creates the space needed as stated above. This in contrary to play narrow, which suites the possession based game, and tends more again to more needless passing. The use of drop deeper is to counter through balls of the opponent. This doesn`t undermine attacking football, it`s just to prevent to be penetrated with through balls all the time. Stick to position also results in more fluid passing system. Every player just plays from it`s own position. Also roaming never seems to really have any good results, and more seems to disrupt my attacks.

Defending :

Only hassle opponents here. Just to take some time away from your opponent, which really seems to matter. Sometime at the end of matches while ahead I play with stand off opponents, but it never really feels good. Get stuck in I use when behind, never use it from the start. I tried it some time, but received quite a few cards.

General :

Here we use lower tempo. This results in a better and accurate passing. The loss in speed is in now way important to the attacking football. The changes here relies on the direction of the game. Higher tempo if you want to force something etc.

The mentality is control to begin with. You can change during the match when the match demands this. With fluidity a always play rigid and almost never change this. As I first want my players to be more tending to keeping to the tactic as a instruct it. This instruction works best I find for tying defense, midfield and attack together through effective passing/attacking football I noticed.

Players and roles:

GK: Set on defend and only two instructions. Pass it shorter and distribute to defenders. Resulting in as few long shots as possible

DC: Set on defend and only pass it shorter. Works fine, the defensive line already drops deeper. This in combination with hassle opponents is enough. Keep it simple works here.

WB: Set on support to suit his style of play which is a mix between attack and defense. The wing back is a vital role in this tactic. Not only for finding a cross, but also for creating an extra man up front. Than we have stay wider, run wide with ball and cross from byline. These are all vital for there attacking role. He doen`t need get further forward because he already goes there. Cross aim at far post goes perfect with float crosses and results in nice crosses. Pass it shorter because I don`t expect a killing pass from my backs.

HB: Set on defend. I love this role. First I used a ball wining midfielder for this position, but they tend to go everywhere to get the ball. This role provides good backup for the central defenders and quickly plays the ball forward. The ideal payer to connect defense with midfield. Only instructions pass it shorter and shoot less often.

CM: Set on support. The heart of the midfield. No silly games for him. Just decent passing and helping out the HB in the back and supporting APM and wingers upfront. He is everywhere and nowhere in the middle of the pitch. Only pass it shorter, dribble less and shoot less often.

APM: Set on attack. This is the first player who gets more direct passing. He plays more upfront in his role. Closer to the striker. So he can provide a through ball when he sees the opening before him. Dribble less is to make sure he keeps passing his first priority, to keep the game going.

These three players are a good balance to connect your midfield with both defense and attack and provides good positioning for effective passing in your attacks.

IF and W: Set on support. This was the last bit off the puzzle I had to solve in providing my striker with balls. Putting them both on support they leave much more space for the striker to create his space. They always tended to crowd the middle of the space in the box leaving my striker a phantom on the pitch. The second key element here was giving them both direct passing. Now they not only leave space for my striker but also use this space to drill balls in. This is were the effective passing style most excels. From the moment I had this fixed my striker scored allot more goals. Reaching a goal a game at times. And this with a bottom team. The also get shoot less often to reduce the long shots. Playing both a IF and a W provides important diversity upfront. It resulted in more effective attacks for my than before. It doesn`t matter who is on what side. And even with the support duties your IF will score goals and your W will provide assists.

CF: Set on attack. His only mind set is attack. Complete forward tends to work real good in this tactic. Dont worry if your striker doesn`t have all the attributes in high numbers. With all the balls he receives and space he gets, the CF seems to fit the best in this role. Pass it shorter for him because he is not needed for a trough ball. Further dribble less and shoot less often to enhance efficiency in his finishing.

Corner setup:

I tried this myself in my first seasons, but eventually took over the corner setup from jassar. So all credit to him here, much appreciated.

Extra instructions:

When in front you can go for options like much lower tempo, be more disciplined, retain possession, work ball into box. Look at the match and do what you feel is right here. This also works the other way. When falling behind you can go for higher tempo, more expressive, push higher up etc. I do this also regularly.

When facing away games I mostly start with the same instructions. Watch how the game progresses is you want to be more attacking or not. Against big teams away I will start counter football and instruct to be more defensive.

Training:

I started with alot of team cohesion and tactic training for the players the really learn the tactic. Even so far to up to around ten games in the season for team cohesion. No I have it on balanced for general. But I don't consider myself a training expert, and have found that this is real different for each team.

Now for some further posts:

View attachment 445002View attachment 445001View attachment 444987View attachment 445000View attachment 444999View attachment 444998View attachment 444997

As you can see this tactic has worked wonders for me through the years slightly getting better as being perfected. First year instant champions in league 2. Than immediate fourth place, only to lose the final playoff match at Wembley against Charlton. Third season second plays on goal difference but promotion. And this year in Championship directly massive overachieving with the perfected tactic. Steady place for playoffs at this moment, and only two points behind a place for direct promotion into the Premier League, what would mean three promotions in four years.
Predicted a nineteenth place in the league and my squad is minus one team at the bottom in the salary department.

I hope this will help other people who are struggling to find a nice tactic that works in decent and effective passing.

View attachment 444996

Have fun!!

Last edited:
Very nice write-up! You have convinced me to try this tactic! You have explained each player and player type extensively but I'm having trouble getting my striker to score. I have tried Ronaldo in my Real Madrid save, Suarez in my Liverpool save and Aguero in my Man City save and none of them scored more than 12 goals a season! Am I doing something wrong, are they the wrong players for this tactic or is this a tactic where the midfielders are designed to score more?

Very nice write-up! You have convinced me to try this tactic! You have explained each player and player type extensively but I'm having trouble getting my striker to score. I have tried Ronaldo in my Real Madrid save, Suarez in my Liverpool save and Aguero in my Man City save and none of them scored more than 12 goals a season! Am I doing something wrong, are they the wrong players for this tactic or is this a tactic where the midfielders are designed to score more?

Have you tried this tactic with all teams a whole season? Like I said in my opening post, the first time I finally completed this tactic I trained for about ten matched in team cohesion and tactical. The winger and inside forward also score goals with this tactic. Bur there support role with direct passing, and the space there is upfront, should combine to more passing into space for your striker. Are your strikers missing chances, or are the not given the chance to score? You can change your winger and inside forward sides, or maybe try playing your striker as advanced forward. Another role I wouldn`t recommand. I`m in the premier league now, prediction 20th, and in 23 games my striker scored 14 goals and is second on the top-scorer list.

Hope I can convince people with this latest post. Look at the results in my first year in the Premier League and how my striker functions in this tactic, like I said lots of goals.

View attachment 443619View attachment 443618View attachment 443617View attachment 443616View attachment 443615

My prediction was 20th place, with something around 2000-1. As you can see my striker won the European Golden Booth! Playing at a team that just got promoted, and in fact played in league 2 5 seasons ago.
Reached the league cup final but lost to Arsenal, but they finished on spot 6, so European football is achieved in my first season in premier league.
I`m even still playing with three players in my starting 11 I had in my first season in the league 2, Wallace, Harris and Webster. You start with them at Portsmouth.
Good luck to you all if you are going to take this up.