ChippyLowe

Reaction score
Download link: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=5581

ChippyLowe's 4-2-1-2-1

I have had decent success in my latest save with a tactic I created for my Aston Villa side.

I decided that I wanted to really try and make sure that I didn't concede too heavily and still have enough going forward to win games.

I played rigid and counter, with a deep but still normal defensive line, narrow width and quick tempo to stay solid at the back and then be explosive getting the ball forward quickly.

In games I expected to win comfortably I changed my tempo to slow and played control, with success.

I finished 7th, just a couple of points from 4th and went on a 13 match unbeaten streak in the league and got to the Carling Cup final, losing 1-0 to Man United.

I am not uploading these tactics, claiming that they're are great tactics that will win you leagues and trophies, I've only tested it over 1 season with 1 team with was suited to my tactic.

What I am uploading it for is advice, If anyone has the time to use my tactic and give me pointers on how to improve it, then it'd be very much appreciated, I am not a tactical genius and my success with this tactic surprised me as my tactics are usually useless.

My plan for the tactic was to invite the opposition onto me quite deep and then simply take the ball and knock it up field into the space which they had left behind them for my rapid quick attacking players to exploit. My centre midfielder is supposed to be a creative outlet and put through balls in for the 3 attacking players when we are controlling the match rather than just countering. Full backs are not expected to go forward often and instead keep shape at the back. The defensive midfielders sit deep with 1 breaking up moves and covering the back 4, the other doing the same thing but also being able to play a good defence splitting Charlie Adam-esque pass.

Touchline Shouts:
I found that when unable to hold onto possession it was stronger to add pass to feet.
Hassle opponents is always on when I play this tactic to make sure that the team don't stand off too much due to their easy tackling instructions that have been given to make sure that they do not give away too many fouls.
If you find that the team are taking too many long shots use Work ball into box to limit long shots.

Here are some screen shots, of the tactic,
the league table and my fixtures.

View attachment 196377 View attachment 196376 View attachment 196378

View attachment 196374 View attachment 196373 View attachment 196372

My top three players from the season, not surprisingly it was my main attacking players.

View attachment 196370 View attachment 196369 View attachment 196371

Any ideas on how to convert some of my poor 1-1 results or losses to teams like Blackburn and even how to stop Tottenham from being unbeatable every time I play them would be very much appreciated.

Once again I will just note that this was never uploaded to be used plug and play and for people to win everything with, it is for my own potential gain that I have uploaded the tactic so please do not comment if you use the tactic but do not do well, complaining about it, try and help me to improve it :)

Thanks
Chippy

Last edited:
I know mate, it's still being moderated, I'll bump the thread when/if it gets through :)