Reaction score

Anticipate and react to be the winning manager!

Hi Folks. You all enjoying Football Manager 2016? I haven't received Football Manager yet, but I will receive it on Friday. As long as I play Football Manager I take much fun out of creating and testing tactics. I have got a philosophy of how I play Football Manager and I am going to tell you something about it. I hope you can learn something from it and understand why I try to explain some things.

This is a tactical question and discussion thread. Join the discussion about exploiting tactical situations.

One striker versus two strikers
There is no such thing as 'one tactic which rules the world and every match for you'. But, you could win every match if you take the right decisions (in-match). For example, I play with Ajax against Arsenal. Arsenal started with a 4231 tactic, which is with one striker. I have a 4 defenders, 1 defensive midfielder (support), two central midfielders (support), two inside forwards and one striker tactic.

No problems at all in defense..

ca5db915454beab66749359b557d7bdb.png

But.. After a period of time Arsenal manager' anticipated with a 4-4-2 tactic and scored directly, 1-1. And that is exactly the moment you have to do something. You can lazy sit back and hope for a lucky strike, but instead you should anticipate and create more 'percentage' of winning the match. Like I did..

I just tweaked the defensive midfielder (deep lying playmaker) - which was on support first half - to a defensive midfielder on defend (deep lying playmaker). Now Arsenal couldn't think easily their two strikers because my defensive midfielder press against their striker, stands in their strikers zone and picks up through passes from their midfield and defense into their strikers.

d8a3fa0eddeeeeb808ad2a4db172f71a.png

So, what I want to say is that you don't just have to trust on a tactic. Yes, there are plenty of good tactics. But for some reasons a tactic can't handle a type of team, play style or formation. And that should be an eye-opener for you to anticipate and react. Think logic and dare to trust on your tactical knowledge.

Exploiting the half-spaces
Another example. The score was 2-1 in Ajax' advantage. But I felt we could score more so I focussed on some new attacking exploit. In many situations I saw my wingers just marking their backs and and a lot of defensive runs. I felt like we needed to score and a goal and Arsenal had to react on my new tactical formation. I started to play with three centre strikers at front in the 85th minute..

c360ba175b58a8b1a7857e504f12c2a2.png

Instead of my wingers on the sideline I created much more space for my attacking backs. I also created a lot of 'questions in the Arsenal defense'. This new setup resulted in the 3-1 win over Arsenal, thanks to a good pass from my right centre striker and a good run into the box from my attacking back. A good example of how important a dynamic playing style is.

3985771e5078c33268c0212355f712cc.png

And so on there are much more situations when you have to react and/or anticipate to take the win. Red cards, long through balls, different playing style opposition, different formation opposition. Keep an eye on it and specially in important matches when you have to get the win!

I would like to use this thread as an sort of tactical questions thread. Everyone can join the discussions about in-game situations and let us know what you should do!
Let me know if you want some more tactical solutions about some situations..

Last edited:
And oh! The title of this thread can be changed into 'Tactical question and discussion thread - FM16', or something. I don't know what the place is to deploy this sort of thread. I just want to discuss some type of situations with Football Manager players.

That's a good short guide.. I think what you've said it's just a way to interpret Football Manager, it's like the "real manager" way. But to my mind a lot of people (sometimes me included) want to do long careers, and if you want to do what you've said it takes hours and hours (too many if you don't want to be killed by your parents beacause you would be **** at school). However good idea for the thread also beacause I think on this FM the aspect you have underlined it's so important, there isn't a tactic that works always as last FMs. Good job!

But to be honest I'm still waiting for a tactic from you.. :D

Yo mate, can't wait your fm16 tact. Love the fm15 ones u did. Cheers

curently match engine realy sucks and It is realy hard to defend your team against receiving stupid goals from wide areas.

even I won title with Watford in first season I am not happy how my players reacts in some situations.

game is complet **** for advanced players

but on other hand for casual players is good,it is very easy and no any knoldge is required expecialy if you managing decent team.

Last edited:
Now I know how you can make a great tactic mate.. you are so detail.
But, I am a typical person who plug n play tactic then sit back to see the result ^^)

"There is no such thing as 'one tactic which rules the world and every match for you'"

Says who? In fm15 there was quite a few tactics that would make most of the teams win +80% of the games (+90% if you were a atleast top6 team) so of course there will be atleast one tactic that does the same in fm16

"There is no such thing as 'one tactic which rules the world and every match for you'"

Says who? In fm15 there was quite a few tactics that would make most of the teams win +80% of the games (+90% if you were a atleast top6 team) so of course there will be atleast one tactic that does the same in fm16

Usually, but it feels like AI gets smarter every year

of course we always say this "plug n play is dead" then some game breaker comes out an hour later..
well , theres some truth in this, but I dont think plug and play will be as effective this year

AI now acts much smarter on set pieces like short corners

Well, I am pretty sure there isn't one tactic which will dominate every game for you and has a winning percentage of 95+%. And of course I am not talking about playing with Real Madrid or something. In my opinion, every tactic has weak points and that could be exploited, if you have good tactical knowledge. That's what I mean.