Chule's Croatia 3rd at World Cup '98 formation recreation (5-3-2)

chule

Reaction score
Hello FM fans.
Here I am again with my receration of Croatian national team tactic from mid 90es.
After first season where I won Croatian first division and national cup with my favorite club, Hajduk Split, with lots of different formations, searching for a perfect one, in November 2015. AC Milan sack manager so I have tried to get a job in my favorite Serie A club and get it. AC Milan was at 11th place with 13 points behind Napoli and Juventus. I have a good start with my 4-3-3 formation but then I drop down and trying to save the season with 4-4-2, 4-2-4 but nothing worked....til I didn't decide to recreate 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 Croatian formation from 1994-98 (Quaterfinalist of Euro'96 and 3rd at World Cup '98) At the end of the season I have finished 2nd, 2 points behind Juventus, and I still had a chance in last match to become a champion if Juve have lost against Verona at home. I haven't lost a match with this formation, and my Milan is not that good.
In my third season, first that I'm starting a season at Milan's bench, after I sell lots of players and bring a few young talents, results in pre-season are fantastic....after I have destroy Barcelona (first team without injured Messi) 5-1 at Camp Nou, I had to share a tactic so you can try it with some other team

For this formation, you need creative players in the middle, fast wingbacks with great staminia, strong and tall defenders, and 2 creative strikers

Original formation would be:
GK Dražen Ladić (Dinamo Zagreb)
DCr Igor Štimac (Hajduk Split, Derby County...)
DC Zvonimir Soldo (Dinamo Zagreb, Stuttgart...)
DCl Slaven Bilić (Hajduk Split, Karlsruhe, Everton...)
WBR(A) Mario Stanić (Dinamo Zagreb, FC Brugge, Parma, Chelsea...)
WBL(A) Robert Jarni (Hajduk Split, Juventus, Real Madrid, Betis...)
DLP(S) Zvonimir Boban (Dinamo Zagreb, AC Milan...)
APl(A) Robert Prosinečki (Dinamo Zagreb, Crvena Zvezda, Real Madrid, Barcelona....)
APr(A) Aljoša Asanović (Hajduk Split, Montpellier, Napoli, Panathinaikos...)
F9l Davor Šuker (Dinamo Zagreb, Sevilla, Real Madrid, Arsenal...)
F9r Alen Bokšić (Hajduk Split, Marseille, Lazio, Juventus...)

Here you have a few screenshots:
View attachment 330619View attachment 330618View attachment 330617View attachment 330616

and tactic is here:

Hrvatska 1994-98.tac - Speedy Share - upload your files here

Could you post screenshots of pre-season training and in-season training?

if I remember correctly, croatia 98 played a 352, jarni was a winger, not a wingback....could be wrong though...and they werent prepared physically, most of them couldn't run, so I doubt Ciro made them run at defence or close down more...nice effort though...

Could you post screenshots of pre-season training and in-season training?

Please understand that his training is set up for HIS players. You will come up short if you just plug in his schedule. You need to find out what YOUR players need trianing in and develop a training schedule based on that.

if I remember correctly, croatia 98 played a 352, jarni was a winger, not a wingback....could be wrong though...and they werent prepared physically, most of them couldn't run, so I doubt Ciro made them run at defence or close down more...nice effort though...

Of course it isn't exact the same formation. At defence since 1994 till Euro '96 there was Nikola Jerkan as Libero, and Bilić left and Štimac right ball playing defender. But tactics with libero at FM15 are not working. Jarni started his career as attacking winger/striker in Hajduk Split late '80s, had number 9 at his kit. Later in Juventus and Real Madrid he played more as a wingback at DL in 4-4-2. The formation was litle asimetric 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 where Jarni was more defensive oriented at the left, an we had a big problem at right side where Ciro Bazevic played a strikers Nikola Jurcevic in Euro'96 quals and leter Mario Stanic and taht side was more attacking oriented. Also Zvonimir Boban didn't play as DMC, he was like roaming playmaker little behind Prosinecki and Asanovic who changed places. There was eternal dilemma could Prosinecki,Boban and Asanavic play together at the pitch like 3 offesive oriented players, where captain Boban was sacrificed watching back of Prosinecki and Asanovic, and at World Cup '98 we played with ball-winning DMC Kruno Jurcic and only 2 of creative trio in the middle played, or even all 3 but then with only one striker (Suker) in 3-6-1. Strikers surley wasn't fake 9s. Bokšić (injured durring World Cup '98 and in first match of Euro '96 played more like Complete Forward (support), and Suker was Advanced Forward....
Team played in very slow tempo, lots of possesion, lots of short passing and then diagonal long balls wher Asanovic could find running Jarni or Stanic at sides or Suker-Boksic in the space from over 40m. They didn't play any pressing, they couldn't but that was a different time, and differend football, lot slower than today.
Whit tactic setup as I discribed, in FM15 I had 40% posession, 2-3 shoots, 0 ccc, and my opponent had 5-6 ccc, 28 shots, so I had to change few thigs. Croatia 94-98 was main idea, but result was more important.

Of course it isn't exact the same formation. At defence since 1994 till Euro '96 there was Nikola Jerkan as Libero, and Bilić left and Štimac right ball playing defender. But tactics with libero at FM15 are not working. Jarni started his career as attacking winger/striker in Hajduk Split late '80s, had number 9 at his kit. Later in Juventus and Real Madrid he played more as a wingback at DL in 4-4-2. The formation was litle asimetric 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 where Jarni was more defensive oriented at the left, an we had a big problem at right side where Ciro Bazevic played a strikers Nikola Jurcevic in Euro'96 quals and leter Mario Stanic and taht side was more attacking oriented. Also Zvonimir Boban didn't play as DMC, he was like roaming playmaker little behind Prosinecki and Asanovic who changed places. There was eternal dilemma could Prosinecki,Boban and Asanavic play together at the pitch like 3 offesive oriented players, where captain Boban was sacrificed watching back of Prosinecki and Asanovic, and at World Cup '98 we played with ball-winning DMC Kruno Jurcic and only 2 of creative trio in the middle played, or even all 3 but then with only one striker (Suker) in 3-6-1. Strikers surley wasn't fake 9s. Bokšić (injured durring World Cup '98 and in first match of Euro '96 played more like Complete Forward (support), and Suker was Advanced Forward....
Team played in very slow tempo, lots of possesion, lots of short passing and then diagonal long balls wher Asanovic could find running Jarni or Stanic at sides or Suker-Boksic in the space from over 40m. They didn't play any pressing, they couldn't but that was a different time, and differend football, lot slower than today.
Whit tactic setup as I discribed, in FM15 I had 40% posession, 2-3 shoots, 0 ccc, and my opponent had 5-6 ccc, 28 shots, so I had to change few thigs. Croatia 94-98 was main idea, but result was more important.

Yup, I agree...except maybe I'd characterize Suker as a poacher. You shouldn't give up on that, just maybe need different TI. Try using take a breather, I had good reuslts with it, especially during summer.