herne79

Reaction score
Hi all,

2 things are bypassing me at present concerning the use of Classic Tactics rather than the wizard, and no amount of searching and reading is making the penny drop yet.

(By the way, if someone knows of a post somewhere either on this forum or elsewhere that provides a "Create Classic Tactics for Dummies" insight, just point me in the right direction and I will merrily spend a few hours teaching myself. I would much rather do that than waste people's time asking inane questions).

1) With a classic tactic, with all the lovely yellow arrows pointing what players are up to, how do I assign individual player roles. eg., how do I say one central midfielder is a ball winning midfielder / defend while another is a deeplying playmaker / support? Further, assuming that is actually possible, how would I then change those roles (if I wanted to) to say a box to box midfielder or advanced playmaker 3 months (or whatever) into a season? The only role setting option I can see is a little drop down box on the player instructions screen labelled "Set To", but the options in there are very limited - no option for BWM, DLP, AP or even defend, support, attack options, to carry on my example. There are only 11 role settings in total for all positions, yet if I use the wizard there are 11 possible options just for strikers, and many more than that for all player positions.

Edit - possibly answering my own question here - are Classic Tactics actually (pardon the pun) a different ball game to the wizard ie., player roles are handled by their position on pitch, PPMs and the tactical sliders to dictate how each player behaves, rather than saying "you are a DLP / Support and therefore you will behave accordingly" like when using the wizard?

2) Classic Tactics seem to come in one flavour only, that is Team Style and Strategy are just set to "Balanced" and "Standard". No option to change to anything from Very Rigid to Very Fluid or Defensive through to Attacking. Is it just that this area becomes defunct when using Classic Tactics and it is solely down to the sliders used to set how rigid/fluid, defensive/attacking the team tactics become?

I have a real thirst for knowledge in this area so any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:
Yeah, in that second part you got the answer right to your whole post. This is how it used to be (for some it still is ofc), '15 clicks from the right'. It's all in the sliders. If you're new to FM, I'd stay away from the classic, since SI seems to be intent on developing the wizard mode better and better. But if you want to, I think those old tactical theorems and frameworks docs should be still around as well. Google it up.

The wizard still uses the sliders like the classic way, its just a matter of learning what effect the choices you make on the wizard has on the sliders. On FM10 when the wizard was first put in the game I made a point of learning off by heart what those effects were and its served me well.

In addition to what JP said, google tactical theorems and frameworks 09 if you want to really get into slider logic. Personaly I think you are better off using the TC, and then if needed, slowly experimenting from there