England66

Reaction score
View attachment 632759

Jeff: Good afternoon and welcome to sky sports news where we bring you the latest sporting news. We are going to the Etihad now where a story has been breaking all afternoon. Over to you Nick.

Nick: Thank you Jeff. The emerging story today is that Patrick Vieira has today left his ambassadorial and development role at Manchester City to take the managerial position at Havre Athletic. For those of you who don't know Havre is a French club plying their trade in the second division or Ligue 2 as it is called. We can only assume from this that current manager Erick Mombaerts has left his role as manager of the club.

Jeff: Thanks Nick. We will have the breaking news for you all evening as it comes in. Stay tuned to Sky Sports News.

Last edited:
View attachment 632772

Jeff: More on the Vieira story. It has been confirmed that Patrick Vieira has now signed a one year deal at Havre Athletic as Erick Mombaerts decided to move on in his career. The deal is rumoured to be worth around £120,000 a year. Worth mentioning that he was earning more at the Etihad a week. We'll keep you up to date with any developments.

View attachment 361234

Last edited:
View attachment 632812

Jeff: A keen sense of intrigue surrounding the new manager of Havre has emerged today with everyone eagerly awaiting the new managers first press conference today. I am getting reports Patrick Vieira has now emerged to give his first conference as the manager of Havre. We go to the scene live.

*Vieira comes in and greets the press before sitting down accompanied by the chairman.*

Press: So Patrick, what made you leave your position at City and come back to France?

Patrick: My wife. *slight laughter* No but in honesty I was bored in England and wished to return to football in a more proactive role in which I could compete once again. Havre gave me that opportunity after Erick left the club a few weeks ago. I have a close friendship with the chairman and told him of my disinterest in my ambassadorial role at which he mentioned the opening in the club. Everything was a bit of a whirlwind from there.

Press: So, taking over a club heralded for mid table mediocrity this season what are your expectations of a side not seeing in the first division of the nation since the 2008/2009 season?

Patrick: Well, my first expectation of the club is to build a hard working team that can compete within the league. Upon my inspection of the team and club, I feel we are able to stay a top half team and with the right luck on the injury front, I feel we could aim for promotion.

Press: Is it true that you are looking to cash in on a few players wanted at the club?

Patrick: I will let everyone have the chance to show what they are worth both in training and pre season. Anyone I deem to be surplus will be moved on to build the right work ethos for the squad. Hard work will win us promotion. If we are to be successful everyone must be pulling in the same direction.

Press: From this you will be playing a hard working team, but how will you go about playing? What instructions will you give the team?

Patrick: Well, I am aiming to build a hard to beat team that works effectively as a unit both defensively and offensively. My principles for this are that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Press: Have you thought about who you will need to bring in yet?

Patrick: I have a few players in mind however would like to keep my cards close to my chest. Thanks, that will be all.

Jeff: Well there you have it. The new manager of Havre, Patrick Vieira. For those of you who don't know the new sky sports channel is now showing European football, with sky having the rights for Ligue 1 and 2 action you can see more of Vieira and Havre over on Sky sports 5.

Last edited:
View attachment 632823

Now on Sky sports we have a special piece on the new manager of Havre, Patrick Vieira.

Vieira was born 23rd June 1976 in Dakar, Senegal. He made his first senior appearance aged just 17 for AS Cannes, two years on from this he would captain the team at just the age of 19. This attracted the attention of major clubs, Milan signed the 19 year old. However his career at Milan seemed destined to the reserve team, only making 2 senior appearances in his time at Milan. At the end of the campaign Arsenal then signed the young midfielder for a nominal fee of £3.5 million. It later emerged that he was on his way out to Ajax for the same price before Arsenal came in, however they were unable to agree personal terms. Vieira soon became a fan favourite in midfield, he made 279 appearances in an Arsenal shirt, scoring 29 goals. In 2002 Vieira was named club captain. He then moved to Juventus in 2005 making another 31 appearances in that year, helping Juventus to the Serie A titles, it later emerged however that Juventus were to be stripped of their titles for alleged match fixing within the season. He then joined Inter after Juventus were relegated to Serie B and deducted 17 points for match fixing. He stayed at Inter for 4 seasons. Winning the Serie A every season and the supercoppa two of the four years. He then moved to Manchester City for a season before retiring.

He was awarded 107 caps for his country scoring 6 goals. In his career he won the Premier league at Arsenal, Serie A title at Inter, FA cups with both Arsenal and Manchester City, Supercoppa at Inter. He even went on to win the world cup, european championship and confederations cup with France, amongst many personal accolades.

Last edited:
View attachment 632899

Breaking News:

Abdoulaye Keita (Gk) signed on a free 1 year contract to add a solid GK to a weak position, also has a lot of potential. 6/10 rating from the media as he shows a good set of attributes, however is expensive per week for a club Havre size.

Nuno Gomes (St) signed on a free 1 year contract to add a proven goalscorer, technically great but maybe a bit suspect when it comes to his physical side of the game. 3/10 expensive pw. Too expensive.

Marco Mellinger (Lm) loan. Marco covers an area where Havre are very low on depth and gives them something different. Good signing an 8/10 from me.

Havre transfer centre

View attachment 361193

Last edited:
View attachment 632952

After an eventful pre season for Havre, the season is about to get under way with only a day left to go till the kickoff of the new season. Havre start their season with a trip to AC Arles-Avignon, a mid table side relegated the season before last as they look to consolidate for the season with a media prediction of 10th. Elsewhere Estac Troyes favourites for the championship start with an away day to Chamois Niortais FC. Elsewhere relegation threatened La Berrichonne de chateauroux take on the second favourites in a seemingly two horse race for the title this season. They begin their campaign with a home kickoff but are major underdogs in this one.

We will bring you the latest from the pre match press conferences as they are issued.

Havre preseason:

View attachment 361175

Ligue 2 opening day fixtures:

View attachment 361174

View attachment 633014

Jeff: Here is our French football correspondent Andrew Gibney with Patrick Vieira ahead of his senior managerial debut. Over to you Andrew.

Andrew: Thanks Jeff. So Patrick how are you feeling ahead of your managerial debut?

Patrick: Well, erm, to be honest with you I'm quite nervous. It is a big occasion for me and I want to show everyone that we are a good team that can do both sides of the game well. But it is just one game and we will see.

Andrew: With that, you sound like you would settle for a draw, is that the case here?

Patrick: No, that is not what I said at all. We will go out with the intentions to win as we always will. I want the team to work hard for each other and the fans. This is a marathon though not a sprint. That is what I have learnt in my experience of the league systems, that is what I am trying to instill within the boys. One game won't make or break the season but a win would be a great start.

Andrew: Have you any idea what sort of system you are going to play?

Patrick: I usually prefer to play a midfield 3 but I am unsure I am going to try to win that is for sure but we have to maintain solidity at the back and defend as a unit.

Andrew: Thanks Patrick, back to you in the studio.

Havre pre match tactics:

View attachment 361146

I have elected to play a 442 almost matching the opposition who are going to play a 442 wide diamond. There main attack will be coming down the left, thus I have played a wing back at RM to try and provide a bit more cover down that left side for my RB. I had a few injuries before the match during pre season with my target man out. I had no other suitable strikers and felt nuno gomes ageing would be unable to play upfront alone. Hence I have put a strong CB to try and bombard the box with crosses for the knockdown to gomes. I have played my new signing Keita in goal ahead of the loanee as I feel he is the better player. LB is a bit sparce and I had to play a CB at LB due to injuries as such I have put him on FB D. This should allow my RB a bit more freedom in the attacking phase.

View attachment 633021

AC Arles-Avignon vs Havre Athletic Club

Kick off and the game is under way.

1' Ball gets spread from left to right. Mombris back to Rivierez, he swings in a cross. GOMEZ! Good save from the keeper. The keeper called into early action here, Jeff.

7' Good save from Keita. It breaks down for Havre on the edge of the opposition 18 yard box. A long ball forward and a little lay off to the edge of the box is all it takes, but keeper had it covered well.

13' Ben saada is through on goal, one on one with Keita he slips he to the goalkeepers left, it dribbles into the bottom corner. Good goal. Wait no the linesman is flagging for offside. Havre have been saved on this one.

32' Ben Saada has switched to the right, he runs beyond the LB puts in a great cross, Oooh just wide of the post, Keita stood still knowing if that was on target there was nothing he could do.

35' Mellinger free kick from 30 yards. OH so close for the winger, grazing the crossbar good effort.

38' Controversy here as a penalty has been awarded, on first glance there doesn't appear to be much in it. Aleksic has the chance to put Avignon in front from the spot. He smashes it to the goalies left, great penalty, unstoppable. 1-0 Avignon.

42' Ben saada is causing all sorts of problems for Havre today, they just can't deal with him today. He puts cross in from the left, Dale heads just wide.

45+1 Referee blows for Half Time. Vieira has a lot of work to do at half time and will be not the least bit pleased with what he has seen so far.

45' And we are back under way.

45' Avingnon straight on the attack, Keita comes and collects comfortable for the keeper in the end.

55' Saada is through, volley. What a save by Keita. Fabulous save as he dives a way to his right, strong hand to the ball sending it out for a corner.

57' Vieira has seen enough, 2 subs here: On comes Traore and Sao in what looks like a straight swap for Zola and Saiss.

63' WOW. Dale misses an open goal for Avignon from 2 yards out. It looked easier to score that. Havre have been given a lifeline here. Lets see if they can take it.

65' There is just no outlet for Havre. They seem to be consigned to defeat already.

69' Nasty challenge from Aleksic. Rivierez is going to have to come off. Horrible challenge, no one likes to see that. On comes Dingome. Looks like he will play the right wing with the wingback dropping back.

87' A beautiful cross from the left wing, Dale header from 2 yards, he hits the bar. It drops for Ben Saada who can't miss, and he doesn't. Good team goal. Surely that is Havre broken and going home empty handed. Not great for Vieira on his first game in charge I have to say.

90+2 The referee brings a halt to what has been a dreadful game for Havre. They barely found their feet in this game, and after the penalty they never looked in it. If not for Keita this could have been a lot worse for them. It will be interesting to see how they pick themselves up from this.

It has finished here Avignon 2 Havre 0.

View attachment 361141

Last edited:
View attachment 633039

Andrew: So Patrick, how do you feel about today's result?

Patrick: Well I have to say Andrew I feel sorry for the boys today. I thought we were playing well in the first half, it was pretty even, we defended well as a unit and attacked in numbers. We countered well and had a few chances. Then obviously the penalty changed the game. I'm not sure what the ref was thinking to be honest with you. You can clearly see Toure gets his foot ahead of the striker and wins the ball. Then Zola mops up the second ball. For the ref to give that changes the game. I felt we had a chance but the ref made a few poor decisions today which I felt cost us the points here. I would like to say however I thought Keita in goal was superb today, he played really well for us.

Andrew: How does it feel to have lost your first game in charge as a manager?

Patrick: Obviously it hurts Andrew. I am a winner, I want to win. But I can't fault the boys today they gave it their all and if they continue to play like that I think we can start picking up points. I feel I am getting to know this team and the best way to utilize their individual abilities to work as a unit to be a team. Ultimately that is what wins you trophies a team not individuals. That is what I and the club are working towards. But as they say success doesn't come over night, it is hard earned and has to be fought for.

Andrew: That's great Patrick, thanks for your time.

I will follow.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk