Clince121188

Reaction score
The one thing I've always found confusing regarding FM is the Closing Down slider

IRL there are players who will close the opponent down high up the pitch but won't track back.

Basically my question is: What exactly does the closing down slider represent? Is it how quick they close down and where, or is it how often they close down and does it have anything to do with tracking back.

For example, a massive part of Bayern successfully winning the Champions League this time around was that Robben and Ribery tracked back a lot more, where as last season they would close down the opponent high up the pitch but not track back very often. IMO this is an element that needs to be sorted for FM14

Its basicly how far out of postion a player would go to track the man in possesion. for instance if you have the slider for a left back all the way, when hes high up the pitch and you are losing the ball, instead of running back into position he will fight for the ball high up. Same goes for attackers just the other way around, he will fight for the ball all the way back to defense.

so if a attacker is set to close down in own area he will fight for the ball in hes area but not track back. And if hes set to close down in hes own half he will only track back on hes own half and fight for the ball on hes on hes own half.

Its basicly how far out of postion a player would go to track the man in possesion. for instance if you have the slider for a left back all the way, when hes high up the pitch and you are losing the ball, instead of running back into position he will fight for the ball high up. Same goes for attackers just the other way around, he will fight for the ball all the way back to defense.

so if a attacker is set to close down in own area he will fight for the ball in hes area but not track back. And if hes set to close down in hes own half he will only track back on hes own half and fight for the ball on hes on hes own half.

A particular problem I have in relation to closing down though is with the AMC position. For a player like Mata with Chelsea in the AMC position....I don't want him closing down up alongside the striker, but i do want him to fall back deep enough in his own half to be an outlet for when the team wins the ball back. How would you suggest I do that? No matter what setting I give him, he always seems to close down high with the striker.

A particular problem I have in relation to closing down though is with the AMC position. For a player like Mata with Chelsea in the AMC position....I don't want him closing down up alongside the striker, but i do want him to fall back deep enough in his own half to be an outlet for when the team wins the ball back. How would you suggest I do that? No matter what setting I give him, he always seems to close down high with the striker.

If I understand correctly you want your amc to work in that middle area and your striker in the other?

View attachment 347513