rlaffar

Reaction score
Can they work together? In reality you cannot mark tightly and close down, defenders would lose the players they were marking.

How does the engine deal with this?

Should tight marking be used with stand-off?

Erm... what? Closing down and tight marking basically work in tandem. I'll assume you're talking about opp. instructions. Closing down means that the specific player is closed down quickly when in possession. Tight marking mean they're constantly followed by the player either set to mark them (man marking) or nearest (zonal). I fail to see how they can't both be used.

They don't work in tandem, they are the complete opposite. What if your centreback is tightly marking an opposition forward and an opposition midfielder is running with the ball on the half way line, will your defender be pulled towards the midfielder leaving the attacker unmarked? If closing down is set on high - nothing to do with opposition instructions, I mean the individual sliders.

Get it?

Okay,Consider this scenario..You are playing a 4-4-2 and your opposition is also playing a 4-4-2.Now your team is considerably weaker than the opponent.

Consider these OI's

RB- to tightly mark LM.

In the OI-
LM- Closing down always,Tight marking always.
LB -Closing down always, Tight marking-no instructions.

So according to the OI the RB will stick like glue to LM.BUT in the OI you have also set the LB's closing down to always.So the RB will still ALWAYS close down on the LB if he is within range, even though he has been ordered to man mark the LM.

It happened to me once,My RB was marking the opps LM,but he quickly closed down on the LB(who was in possession of the ball) once he was in his (closing down ) range.The LB managed a pass to the LM who had plenty of space to put a cross in and i conceded a goal..

When you tight mark, its because your player should not/cannot close down the opponent. Mainly useful for central defenders and somewhat fullbacks too.

The higher the player plays up field, the more he can close down, and the less usefull tight marking becomes.(except for certain cases like AMC/ST).

Tight marking works best against players who are fast, because if you close down a fast player you are most likely going to get baffled when he either runs past you or he makes a 1-2 pass around you.

You can close down slow players since all they are able to do is pass the ball away since they cant run past you.

But its a well known fact that central defenders and fullbacks at certain points should not close down more than their area, at most their own half. Leaves too much space in between goal.

IMO or at least from what i got from playing is that tight with tight marking the players will drop deeper and with pressing push up against the opposition. What does bode well with more pressing is man marking, but that is the "hassle opponents " shout...
i do sometimes set my fullbacks to press only near the box and tight mark which makes them a bit less dumber, no going for the FB leaving the winger in his back...(classic FM "quirk")

Good replies, these all reinforce what I thought already.

But I did notice that a lot of the downloadable tactics use tight marking for every player and closing down on maximum...I think this is why my friends goalstorm tactic leaks so many goals!

they can and do work in tandem, and to great effect, especially with zonal marking. it allows to you to play an agressive pressing game, marking out the key danger men if needed

I've always had my players set to closing down rather than tight marking, unless they have slow strikers and I will have my CBs set to tight marking. My defences have been really good in the past but recently it's all gone wrong and I don't know why. I always assumed if a defender was up against a quick striker it would be best to have him on closing down rather than tight marking, because the striker would easily be able to get away from the CB to get onto any through balls. I would also have my defence playing deep up against quick forwards so I very rarely have strikers getting clean through on goal. Most of the goals I concede are shots from the just outside the box or from crosses. Recently to stop strikers scoring from crosses I have had my CBs set to tight marking which has been working fine, but then this doesn't work when stopping goals from the edge of the area when I would want them closing down. I'm very confused.