Dickybran

Banned
Reaction score
I have just been reading someone describing how the Closing Down slider works, "Imagine a circle around your player, as you increase the closing down slider, the circle gets bigger. If an oppositional player dare enter that circle then he will be closed down". He then goes onto to say if you are playing defensively you would have the slider set to high, which makes sense, but what about your CB's? I'm not sure how big this circle would be at full, but I don't think I'd want my CB's chasing some fast midfielder/striker 20 yards away. I've always wondered whether I should have my CBs closing down quick strikers. I prefer not to incase they close in and the strikers quickly nips past them. But then I have a real problem when playing against someone like Rooney who is quick but can also score from range.

Does anyone have any advise to dealing with quick strikers?

there are not many players like Rooney who you will play against :) so dont stress if he scores cause he will most of the time.. there are different versions of closing down... Man/Zonal etc..

For Cb's depending on their role/duty I have them both set to exactly the same to prevent gaps being left open, I have them both just on the border of own half as I play with a high defensive line so they dont push out too far and leave spaces behind.. I also have at least one player on Cover and one Defend, most of the time even both on Cover...

just keep in my that your players need to be determined, have good stamina, fitness, concentration, positioning, work rate and teamwork stats as well for them to work together as a team :)

I've always played Stopper/Cover, but on my latest save it hasn't been working so have changed to Defend/Defend which so far is working quite well. My defenders are not the quickest so I prefer to play deep. I currently have both their closing down settings to just above own area, but have seen some people use whole pitch.

I use whole pitch for my Cm's, Fb's and Am's. I have gotten the Barca style closing down quite spot on at the moment..

it all depends on your players and your style of play mate :)

So how does that work with your FB's? Don't you find players get in behind them? I'm playing with Newcastle so most of my players are quite average.