Club debt versus transfer budget

MonsoonMally

Reaction score
I'm in the early days of season two, managing Newcastle back in the Premiership.

The (new) owner gave me a budget of around £17.5m to finish in the top half, for which I spent about £12m of adding some 'strength-in-depth' to the squad.

Currently at the end of September, I still have arond £5m to spend of my budget, which may come in handy in January, especially if I can add to that by selling a couple of players I no longer consider as first-team players.

However, the club as a whole is now around £8.5m in the red as it stands - with large debts still to be serviced.

Is there a risk that I could be sacked if this continues (currently, the balance goes down by around £2m to £2.5m per month), despite being within my budget?

Or, does the owner do something about it? I asked him to epand the stadium, but got the reply there were not enough funds to do this.....

That is shocking, there is a possibility of you getting the sack.

Yeah - I think much of it is servicing debt. A large debt. I'm within my transfer and wage budgets though, so its a legacy thing.

do what they do irl, resign lol

I'm quite willing to ship out a few players, I'm hoping Birmingham decide to keep Harper who the have on loan and can have for £2.6m, and would like to shift Lovenkrands (injury prone, now I have 2 other left-wingers), and Ameobi (doesn't seem to score enough).

Happened with me at Corinthians, i went 17 million into debt. If you are within your budgets you will not get sacked for being in debt. The likely will be you will lose any player if a good enough bid comes in as the chairman will accept on your behalf. If you go into receivership (i went into when 12 million in debt), then it will become public knowledge and the bank will accept incoming player bids and you lose good players for next to nothing. When a club in my division then went into receivership i offered 'no money' for there star player and it was accepted as they had to slash the wage bill...

Thanks Djetou - I think that answers what I was after. A fairly realistic scenario I guess - I noted Middlesbrough were deducted 10 points - I guess that means they went through it.

Better see if I can stop this loss of cash then, before one of my better players goes, or I get points deducted!

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

A secondary question, after giving it some thought and reading othr threads - is there a chance that within the game, the owner will pump some money into the club?

For example, if just £20m was pumped into the club (not my transfer kitty), I reckon I could stabilise the club and build for the next decade!

My board at Wolfsburg are idiots! Im 17.5 million in the red yet am 500k under wage budget and have a femaining transfer budget of 25m. If I spent my budget that would put me 42m in the red!!

Cant make sense of it! The reason for the debts is 2 years of signing players on 48 monthly installments, which is coming to an end, but does not explain why board keep giving me money when we are already in massive debt.

Also 48 month deals bad idea if you are not sensible! like me

Hmm. I sign mine 'outright' and look to do the same when I sell, if possible. I have no outstanding transfer debt, and am within transfer and budget limits.

You are this much in debt an are not threatened with the sack, or are seemingly likely to go into administration?

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

A secondary question, after giving it some thought and reading othr threads - is there a chance that within the game, the owner will pump some money into the club?

For example, if just £20m was pumped into the club (not my transfer kitty), I reckon I could stabilise the club and build for the next decade![/QUOTE]

Yes its possible,happends a couple times for me with different teams,but its more likely if your chairman is rich but even the smaller clubs can get money pumped in

OK, it seems from the last couple of responses, I shouldn't worry too much, but try and deal with the problem rather than try to make additional signings (my prudent plan, anyway) and risk making things worse.
I believe I have enough quality in the squad to achieve the objective of a top half finish, even if it means I need to sell those I don't plan on using anymore (Lovenkrands and Ameobi), IF, I don't get humped for being in debt, and the owner/board can handle that side of things.

By the way, it brings me to yet another question:

Tried to offload **** and Geremi, both on £50k per week, in the first season to lower the wage bill, as I was unlikely to use them for much (Geremi got a half-dozen games or so) - no takers, even when offered transfer fee free.

In the summer before season two, tried to do similar with Lovenkrands and Ameobi, asking for a mere half of their transfer value, not so much to lighten the wage bill - but to get them off it, none-the-less. No takers.

The only (voluntary) outward movement I got, was Harper on loan to Birmingham when I wanted to sell him. I accepted the £150k, plus 100% of his wages, in lieu of a potential £2.6m transfer at the end of it - despite only asking for £1m in the first place. OK - I see this particular scenario as 'possible' despite the figures mentioned, due to the nature of the real-world-football - but no takers for ****, Geremi, or Lovenkrands whatsoever, from anyone, even if the club that signed them had insisted on I keep paying them a percentage for a while, as per reality and the previous version of the game........?

You know, to go into this level of detail - I can honestly say I'm loving FM2010 - now don't you dare crash and ruin it for me!

I've got the same problem with my game, forced me to sell Ribery to Man City and thanks to that i'm holding on. It's funny how ALL the clubs are in debt in FM10

My Rangers save (although there are in £30 million debt) have continuily made a profit every month even as much as £3million but usually up to a million and my stadium has been increased twice now a 64000 seater bigger than Celtic.

I think clubs in FM2010 are more generally in debt compared to FM2009. I would not worry too much yet as you are in September and theres not too much you can do about it until December. Keep within your transfer budget and wage budget and the board will be happy with the club structure. Balance the books abit in December and when the end season comes then t.v rights, sponsorship payouts etc will come in and your accounts will be alot better (maybe just buy some talented youth next year instead of any big names on high wages etc)...