Clubs await decision on Beckham

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Tottenham are among several Premier League clubs waiting to hear whether LA Galaxy will release David Beckham this month for a short-term loan deal.

More...

Well it would be great to see Becks back in the English game. But I am still confused as to how Tottenham will play him whilst Rafael van der Vaart is seemingly their playmaker.

Will Beckham be dropped until Van der Vaart loses form/gets injured/away on international duty or in rotation with him, or will they both play? One supplements the passes forward into the attack and the other, well, finishes them off?

Would be interesting to see how that works out.

Beckham will most likely be an impact player coming off the bench with 30 or so minutes left to try and change the game.

Beckham, I think, will train with Lennon :wub: to improve his crosses

yeah if spurs get beckham they will use him off the bench, and harry wants him to help lennon learn to pass and cross :) he'd still be good for any club side and england, even tho hes got no pace, his ability and ball distribution etc is still top notch

Well it would be great to see Becks back in the English game. But I am still confused as to how Tottenham will play him whilst Rafael van der Vaart is seemingly their playmaker.

Will Beckham be dropped until Van der Vaart loses form/gets injured/away on international duty or in rotation with him, or will they both play? One supplements the passes forward into the attack and the other, well, finishes them off?

Would be interesting to see how that works out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beckham took up a sort of Huddlestone regista position, spreading passes from deep alongside a destroyer. His work rate is up to scratch still, his passing is second to none and you don't need pace to play as a deep-lying playmaker.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beckham took up a sort of Huddlestone regista position, spreading passes from deep alongside a destroyer. His work rate is up to scratch still, his passing is second to none and you don't need pace to play as a deep-lying playmaker.

that will just be wasting his impeccable crossing talent

that will just be wasting his impeccable crossing talent

Would it though? Sure, he's probably the best crosser in the world, but how often is he going to be able to get a cross in? A left-sided defender would get high up the pitch on him, not allow him to turn, safe in the knowledge he won't get outpaced. You can't cross when you're 40 metres from the corner flag.

He would have to be a deep-lying playmaker, otherwise it would mean dropping Lennon, Modric or VDV.

But he's only really played that deep-lying playmaker role a handful of times tbh. The biggest game I can think of, was against Andorra?

Would it though? Sure, he's probably the best crosser in the world, but how often is he going to be able to get a cross in? A left-sided defender would get high up the pitch on him, not allow him to turn, safe in the knowledge he won't get outpaced. You can't cross when you're 40 metres from the corner flag.

It won't because he can just hold back and play his crosses from deep.

there are other ways of getting past a full back rather than outpacing him and I am pretty sure Harry Redknapp will want to use Beckham in a position he is familiar with rather than asking him to adjust in a short period of time

honestly dont think he will start games but will come on as sub for lennon, modric or van der vaart

there are other ways of getting past a full back rather than outpacing him and I am pretty sure Harry Redknapp will want to use Beckham in a position he is familiar with rather than asking him to adjust in a short period of time

I don't think you're familiar with his time in America. For Galaxy he has frequently been used as a creative centre mid, he's very comfortable with the position.

Tottenham play with wingers, something Beckham isn't. He's an old fashioned up-and-down right midfielder, unlike either Bale or Lennon. He isn't going to push either of them out of the team, so the best place I could imagine for him is as a regista.

Yes, but how many times will he actually be able to get past his man? Playing him on the wings, whether in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 doesn't seem advisable. I would take on the suggestion that he is a deep-lying playmaker and sits infront of the defence with either Huddlestone or Palacios.

Will be nice to see his passing talents and free kick abilities in the PL again if he comes

Yes, but how many times will he actually be able to get past his man? Playing him on the wings, whether in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 doesn't seem advisable. I would take on the suggestion that he is a deep-lying playmaker and sits infront of the defence with either Huddlestone or Palacios.

Him, Huddlestone/Modric and VDV in a midfield is quite possibly the best passing midfield in the world bar Barca.

Hey wat bout Nasri,Fabregas, Wilshere

No, not really. Nasri is a decent passer, Fabregas is world-class and Wilshere is an up-and-coming potential playmaker.

Tottenham's passing would be a lot more expansive with Beckham, VdV and Modric.