Reaction score
Clyde FC - European Giant

View attachment 457501

An Introduction:

For my first main save of FM14, I have decided to try to emulate a save I did last year with Aberystwyth town. The main aim of the save will be to turn Clyde into a major European club and to attempt to win more continental trophies than I managed to with Aberystwyth, which was 13;

5 Champions Leagues
1 Europa League
4 European Super Cups
3 Club World Championships

Here is a link to that story if anyone is interested...

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-manager-stories/114736-aberystwyth-town-european-giant.html

Although this save may initially seem easier than last year's since Scottish football is a higher standard than Welsh football, I'm actually thinking it may be harder due to the increased domestic competition, mainly Celtic and Rangers, meaning it will be harder to qualify for the Champions League and gaining all the riches that come with it!

Information:

View attachment 457476

So... We're predicted to finish bottom of the division but at least we have the best stadium in the league, ey?

History:

View attachment 457473

Not too much history for a club who are 136 years old but at least they have 3 Scottish Cups to their name!

Squad:

View attachment 457468

The squad actually looks a lot better on this screenshot than it actually is in my opinion. Where players are given 4 and a half star ability, this is representative of a 'good' player for this division. Still, I think we can surpass the season expectations of simply consolidating in the division and push for a place in the lottery known as the playoffs.

So, this was just a small introduction post to introduce the save. Next up will be a update at the end of January, I'll just be doing 2/3/4 updates per season for the lower leagues and then I'll re-evaluate when I (hopefully) make it to the SPL!

Save History
(To be updated after every season)

View attachment 457465

2013/2014 - Scottish League 2 - 4th Place (Lost in Playoff Semi Final)

2014/2015 - Scottish League 2 - 3rd Place (Promoted through playoffs)

2015/2016 - Scottish League 1 - 3rd Place (Lost in Playoff Semi Final)

2016/2017 - Scottish League 1 - 2nd Place (Promoted through playoffs)

2017/2018 - Scottish Championship - 6th Place

2018/2019 - Scottish Championship - 1st Place (League Champions and promoted to SPL)

Last edited:
there is a few storys with folks playing as teams from scotland is that the new in thing

there is a few storys with folks playing as teams from scotland is that the new in thing

Not sure pal, I've seen a few about though. I've always enjoyed managing in Scotland on FM for some reason though, and since I didn't go there on last years game I thought it would be a good place to start this year.

Clyde FC
2013/2014 - Mid-Season Update
attachment.php

Fixtures:

A very mixed bag of results. As is common in the Scottish leagues, we have had many high scoring games which is very entertaining but also frustrating when you're 4-1 up and the game finishes 4-4! The main disappointment has been going out of all the cups at the first time of asking, meaning no 'glamour ties' to help out the finances...

Player Stats:

Only 2 players averaging above 7 is probably the main reason we're not doing too great. Whatever happens next season I'll probably not be retaining too many of the current squad.

Player of the Update - Kevin Watt:

The Scottish striker has been deadly for us this season along with strike partner Tom Brighton, and has 17 goals in 22 appearances. If it wasn't for these 2 I'd probably be propping up the table...

League Table:

Only 3 points behind the playoffs in what is a very tight league, hopefully we can hit form at the right time and make it into the playoffs.

Board Confidence:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=412875&d=1384377743
View attachment 412875

The board seem pretty happy even though we are ?165 above our wage budget...

Next update will be an end of season review, can we manage an unlikely promotion or will we be spending a further season in the bottom division?..

Will be following, best of luck Scotty, your already doing better then Clyde did in my save!

Clyde FC
Season 1 - Review

View attachment 456521

Fixtures:

View attachment 456517

Very much the same as the first half of the season in that we were pretty inconsistent. We'd get a couple of great results and then follow them up with a few bad results. However, as you can see, we did manage to force our way into the playoffs on the last day of the season but League 1 Ayr were too strong for us so we will spend at least one more season in the bottom tier. The highlight of the season though was our 8-2 victory over league champions Elgin City!

Player of the Season - Kevin Watt

View attachment 456516

29 goals and 10 assists in 40 appearances from our main man up front. Hopefully we can tighten up the defense next seasons and his goals will fire us to promotion...

Player Stats:

View attachment 456515

Forgot to take this screenshot before we released loads of players... but only 1 player averaaging over 7 is disappointing. This must improve next year!

League Table + Thoughts on Next Season:

View attachment 456518

So... despite losing in the playoffs I'm actually pretty happy with how we performed this season. We were predicted to finish 10th so a 4th place finish is well over expectations and I've been rewarded with a new 3 year contract. Scoring goals was never the problem this season as we were always quite prolific however also leaked goals consistently at the other end. Going into preseason, I think I'm going to be very busy looking at bringing in some new first choice defenders and looking for some other players to fill out the squad considering we've let a lot of the squad players go on free transfers. The only target on my mind for next season is to gain promotion! (Apparently the squad think I'm being unrealistic, what a great attitude they have XD)

Next update will be a review of our pre-season activity, can we build a squad capable of promotion?...

Clyde FC
Season 2 - Preview

View attachment 456389

Transfers:

View attachment 456388

We let a lot of players go over the summer and haven't really been able to bring in as many players as I would have liked, so we may have to rely on trial players from time to time to fill out the squad. Here are the players that we've brought in...

View attachment 456387View attachment 456386View attachment 456385View attachment 456384

Squad:

View attachment 456382

I think we've got a pretty decent squad but we're pretty short in quality in depth. However, I still think we can push for promotion or at least the playoffs.

Next update will probably be after the January transfer window, can we put ourselves in a position where we can fight for promotion?

Clyde FC
Season 2 - Mid-Season Update

View attachment 455906

League Fixtures:

View attachment 455905

You can see the main problem we've had throughout the season... too many draws. Apart from the two heavy defeats against the runaway league leaders Ayr, we've only lost one more game but 10 draws mean we have little to no chance of automatic promotion. I suppose the other big problem is the fact that despite playing pretty defensively, we still continue to concede lots of goals and have only kept 2 clean sheets.

Cup Fixtures:

View attachment 455895

Pretty poor showing in the cups again this year, however our best result of the season was our 1-0 victory over Rangers!

Player Stats:

View attachment 455894

Kevin Watt continues to bang the goals in and Sean Fitzharris is benefiting from a less injury plagued season than last and is excelling on the wing. One of the major plus points has been one of last years youth candidates Stevie Neil cementing his place in the first team of the back of a few impressive performances.

Player of the Update - Sean Fitzharris:

View attachment 455886

5 goals and 6 assists so far this season from the right winger. He's always a threat when he has the ball at his feet and has made the right wing position his own.

League Table:

View attachment 455884

Miles behind the leaders Ayr in 2nd position so the best we can hope for is getting promoted through the playoffs. Hopefully we can show a little more consistency in the second half of the season and even maybe keep a few clean sheets XD

Next update will be an end of season review. Can we hold onto our 2nd position and force our way into League 1 through the lottery of the playoffs?

Clyde FC
Season 2 Review

View attachment 455643

Fixtures:

View attachment 455642

The second half of the season proved more difficult than the first half of the season for us however we managed to pull through in the end and gain ourselves promotion through the playoffs. A horrible spell during the second half of the season threatened to ruin our season as we only won 1 of 9 games but we got most of our squad back together for the playoffs and it was enough to help pull us over the finishing line.

Player of the Season - Kevin Watt

View attachment 455629

Kevin started the season a little slowly but as the season went on his goals proved ever more clinical as we were conceding plenty at the other end. More importantly though, he scored 8 goals in our 4 playoff games which was key to sending us up.

Player Stats:

View attachment 455624

Forgot to take the screenshot before I released quite a few players so it doesn't show alll the members of the squad. Luckily, we've seen a hefty rise in our wage budget for next season (Got around 6 and 1/2k spare wages for new players) so I hope I can bring in some real quality to the club over the summer.

League Table:

View attachment 455619

We actually finished this season with 2 less points than the previous season which is worrying. Not sure what the jump in quality to League 1 will be like but I'm hopeful it will not be too big and we'll be able to at least stay clear of the relegation zone.

Next update will be a season 3 preview. Can we manage to put together a squad capable of handling League 1?