Colne FC and Andrew Monaghan the rise of two legends.....

Reaction score
A life's Obsession...

For all my 25 years football has always held the biggest place in my life. From the age I could go with my mum or uncle to Turf Moor and watch my team Burnley, or sit up and watch football on tv it's been my biggest passion. At primary school I was constantly setting up games in the playground. Pretending to be Burnley or England stars, that was my dream even from a young age to be a footballer. I dreamed of making it and being taken on by a premier league club or Burnley and putting on the claret and blue. To be a footballer was my ultimate wish in life.

I played when ever I could, for the school team, for a spate of local youth teams, when not doing that i was either kicking a ball about with my mates or on my own. Even chilling out at home meant watching football on the tv, or playing the latest Fifa game or premier manager on my old grey playstation.

As I got older the enthusiasm didn't die. Primary football turned into high school and the little grey playstation became a black ps2. I'd still play football as much as I could, despite finding that girls and booze were as fun to chase as a football!. I was by no means the ronaldo of the school, But my sheer determination and enthusiasm for the game ensured I got my place year after year. I think if I would have had a career in football it would have been as a mix between tevez and gattuso. I made up for not having great silky dribbling with the fact that I'd run my **** off the whole game, even taking knocks wouldn't dent my gusto. I was also went about winning the ball back in the same vein and could give as good as I got usually better, which lead to me getting in trouble more than a few times. It was one of these hot headed moments that changed my passion for football and my life as it happened.

I had been picked to start in a match against our neighbouring school and heated rivals. Like everywhere locals schools hold up a rivalry in sports, all out of school with lads thinking they had something to prove setting up fights. I didn't bother with being the **** of Colne, trying to keep up a rep like that is more trouble than it's worth a lesson I'd learned from my older brothers. But when it came to football I was well up for the ruck. I'd been stuck in midfeild because of my terrier like approach to the game from there I could hound and close down their midfielders and not give them a chance to breath. Being a goal down they're frustrations boiled over as shadowed a cente mid as he made to run for the box and a shot on goal. But I was stuck to him like **** on a blanket contantly nipping try to getting the ball or unbalance him if not. True to form any player coming into midfeild i'd not given a chance to draw a breath and i wasn't letting up now. Then as I dug deep to match his pace and draw level his elbow swung round and smashed into my face. Immediately the whistle blew up, the lad stopped his run put his arms up and sulkily turned muttering his protests. He as far as "Aw come o.." before I swung and smacked him to make sure we'd have matching faces. Naturally I was sent for an early shower after getting the cut above my eye looked at. Mr Meadows was not happy thanks to being a man like we'd not only let slip the one goal lead we had but shipped another losing 2-1. " You want to act like a big kid you can train with them". And for two weeks I trained with the first years

The punishment that mr Meadows had intended the training to be in fact turn out to be something I enjoyed wholeheartedly. Helping to improve the younger lads skills seem to be something I had a talent for even more so than playing. Helping set up the training routines and seeing it pay off when it sank in and they learned make triangles and pass it about was a great feeling. So when I saw a poster in school for an after school football school for under 10s that also were looking for lads up to 16 to lend a hand I was interested. It was something different to do with my time and it was free for the lads helping out so I had nothing to lose. That was when my passion for football changed....Instead of my dream of becoming a pro player, My new wish was to become a great coach...........

Last edited:
Starting on the road...

After school I set about acheiving my aims. I started a sports coaching course traveling to preston. It made me a better coach but I was teaching various sports not just football. After my first year I also took a course for my level 1 coaching badges.That meant that once I finished the sports coaching course I could start coaching at youth level. In my second year of my sport coaching course i gained experience helping to coach at Barrowford celtic a local youth team there i cut my teeth as a coach. I was a great feeling when i could go along and watch the matchs and see the things we we instilling in these youngsters paying off on the pitch.After that year i had my sportscoaching qualifications, I was 18. I jumped back into football full time going for my level 2 coaching badges. The course lasted 6 months and meant that I could now coach at amateur teams. While doing that i stayed on at Barrowford Celtic and watched them finish a respectable place in their league.

So I had finished my level 2 and also finished my accident and emergency and child protection courses.I was still 18 but ready to take the next big step my level coaching badges or the UEFA B License. Although young I'd drawn praise for my dedication and work ethic. I needed a team to coach at and wanted to take the step up to an amateur team. It didn't take long I'd already been ringing around and had good references from Barrowford Celtic and from taking my badges. I'd been making contacts locally and had a few teams who were willing to take on a coach especially if he was working for free!. I decided after some thought that I was too young, and so worked at Earby FC a local Amatuers team for a year, and then commenced with my level 3 badges.

It was a good two years which taught me coaching with big lads instead of little ones. It was good experience as some didn't want to listen to some young streak of **** barely into shaving as they saw it probably. But they came around quite quickly it didn't help that I was a Colne lad though!. But I thought the harder the job the better training it would be in the long run. The tougher a job is the more you learn is how i saw it. In my spare time i wrote letters to managers getting advice and as many tips and inspiration as I can get. I talked to local grassroots managers, to league club and even some premier league coachs. Great moments for me were having correspondence with Jimmy Mullen and Stan Ternent both managers who did great things for Burnley and who I admired greatly.

Finally I got my level 3 badges! with it I was a fully fledged coach!. But I dreamed of being a manager but not only that...I had a crazy dream of becoming the youngest ever coach in the football league..People said get a steady coaching job and some years behind you before you go for your level 4. But I wanted to go for it as crazy as it sounds i thought I wanted to at least try, Anyway the experience will come along the way...I was 20 when I went to apply for my level 4 badges this ment i could coach at pretty much any level and even manage if I wanted by the time I gained it I would be 22 an incredible acheivement. To get more experience and gain more knowledge I took the step to move from home. It would be hard but it was a lesson i should learn moving could be part and parcel of football...

While I took my level 4 I spent 2 years in liverpool partly because after Burnley it was another club I admired. I took a room in a shared house in Anfeild, literally round the corner from Anfeild and on the other side of stanley park was Liverpools other great club Everton and Goodison park. My time there was great I enjoyed it, when I had the money saved up I would que up and watch liverpool play and even went to Goodison to watch the Derby. I offered my services to a number of local teams offering to help with train for free if I had to. I first helped on at Widnes fc in their local league. Then hit lucky and spent a year coaching at Bootle who were playing North west counties div 2 having not long been elected. That was a great time for me as It was a step up from where I managed to talk myself into before. That year stood me in good stead and gave me something more creadible to put on my c.v. I had a choice with other clubs willing to give me a chance now with Runcorn Town aslo prepared to let me help with training routines. But I decided to stick with Bootle for my second year, it was a club that had managed to get elected back in the NW counties. And it felt as though I was contrubuting to something good there. After my second year I decided to head out for pasture new. I couldn't help but smile when I heard that they won the league in the 2008/9 and gain promotion to the NW counites premier...

So there it was I had my UEFA A License that ment that I could coach at a professional level club. But It wasn't that easy I was still 22 a baby in coaching terms. I had a few teams on my c.v. of most note Bootle where I'd had a small coaching role. Even from a young age I'd routed out contacts and links. In football you can't get too far without knowing some people in the buisness. I now kicked that into overgear while deciding what my next move was...

So 2008 was going to be a big year for me was I going to stay in liverpool?, maybe move back home, or move someplace new. I'd used the rest other last year getting numbers for various agents and coaches based in liverpool. I'd decided to move on now Liverpool had been good to me but I wanted to work from a base in lancashire. A dream would be some kind of coaching role at Burnley, but If I even had a hope at that I would have to catch the eye by coaching i the area...

So I returned Home and got straight to finding a new positon. I spend the first few months bending Nigel Coates's ear to let me lend a hand to train there. He was good enough to give me a place although not officially. I also split my time with local rivals Nelson who took me in for a time. But I wanted somewhere I'd be able to stand out more or gain a proper place. Finally a team saw past the age and gave me a shot and allowed me to put some ideas into place. I went to Padiham where I was a bigger part of the coaching set up,but still behind the rest of the staff. I never the less helped put the lads through their paces and gave them some tips on new training schedules. I was a proud moment for me as the hard work seemed to pay off. Padiham gained promotion from the newly named NW Counties Div 1 to the Premier. What A feeling to celebrate with a team that has won promotion!, albeit I was a junior member of the staff really, I like to think me improving the teams fitness had something to do with it!. I also couldn't help but smile to myself as old friends Bootle beat us to the league title by 7 points. I sent a message to the manager and some of the lads to congratulate them.

I stayed on at Padiham another year we achieved a applaudable 10th place in our first season. Bootle went from good to great ending up in 3rd place in their first season. Colne improve last seasons 18th place I noticed getting 3rd, but Nelson still struggled scrapping in the end and gaining 17th place the exact same as last year.

The next year Nelson were thought to be about to approach me to take a more senior coaching role. But money trouble lent to them resigning from the North west counties that season. Newly promoted Barnoldswick also offered me place on their team. Being bitter rivals to Colne I refused. And elected to stay at Padiham a 3rd year, my loyalty earned me more responsabilty. I gained more time to train the lads myself and my input in tactics and training schedules was increased. It was a even better year for Padiham we finished above my old friends Bootle this time finishing an incredible 4th in our second season. Even I gained some of the plaudits as a promising young coach. We even pipped local rivals Colne to 4th by goal difference of 3.

Then something amazing happened.........

Colne Times
Today saw the shock departure of Colne FC stalwart Nigel Coates. Coates has decided to
retire after managing the club since 2005. "Its with a heavy heart I leave this club, but I
think the time is right now to let somebody else with fresh eyes have a go." A former
Colne dynamos player he was part of the FA Vase winning team of 88, as they made it to the top of the non league. It is said he is looking to retire from football completely or least take a break
for a while. " I'll see how long I can live without football!. I'm gonna to take a break for sure
then after that who knows.." Colne Chairman Dave Blacklock is so far keeping tight lipped
about possible replacements. "We got some ideas, and will listen to applications. It's going
to be hard to replace Nigel, he did a fantastic job here. We wish him all the best."
226099d1329962260-bringing-back-dynamo-days-colne-fc-nigel-coates.jpg

Coates says farewell

It not the chances you get,its the ones you take....

Word got to me quickly, I didn't even need a second thought I knew what i was doing...

Showering getting into a clean neat tracksuit i grabbed my phone and jumped in my car. I rang Nigel first I'd talked to him a few times and had his number from my short stint in training with the colne lads. He confirmed what I already knew, and told me his reasons.. I wished him all the best. He gave me his best wishs and said good luck he knew I was going to have a shot at the job.

After a phone call to Dave Blacklock I managed to arrange a meet up to talk with him. He was as good as his word we meet at a local pub in Colne. The tracksuit I thought would be fine, after all it wasn't some league job and we wern't meeting in some fancy restraunt. It's wasn't about what flash clothes I could pull on, it was what ideas I had, what qualifictions and experience did I bring?. Basically I told him all what you know, the badges, the teams I've coached at. But I told him I had other things going for me. You didn't just have to look at my age as a bad thing, for one it would bring publisity. Which is good for a small club like Colne gets the name around.I was a local boy too it couldn't be better the headlines write themselves... The way I saw the more people were monitoring what Colne were doing the better. Plus I had contacts not loads but enough to get word on players desparate for games. Now I could use the contacts if I got the job that is, before that I hadn't been able to act, so had just built bridges and learnt things. If some money could be put in the club I would put everything into getting it up to the next level and beyond. I wouldn't need megabucks just enough to pay for a few wages. With a new 3000 capasity stadium in the pipeline that would make this club Conference premier ready. That would bring investment, even more so if the club has made a rise through the leagues and is playing well. And the fact that Colne is a small town shouldn't put them off get the results and play the kind of football people want to watch and he fans will come.

I gave him all my ideas some possible targets were he able to muster the funds and basically sold my plan as though my life not a job was on the line. This was my shot, it might only be Colne but it would be a team, and my team if I got the Jo. I could use all my ideas shape a team how I saw fit. That was what I was seeing not just the nature of the team as it stands now..

Well I'd been able to have my say. Dave wasn't giving anything away, he picked up the tab and left with a prize winning pokerface. Now all that's left to do is wait....

Back of the net....

A couple of week later I got a call from Dave. " Hi Andy you ok to meet up I've got something to discuss with you, same place?". Making my way to the pub I thought about what this ment, I'd go the job! it had to be why would we be meeting again?.Though it could just be something else maybe a coaching role under the real managing target. I'd just have to go find out no use winding myself up about it.

I sat down at the table he'd picked, he was still not giving much away and made small talk first. The ******* was keeping me in suspense!, just tell me what the **** this is about! I thought. I'd kept my manner level not giving much away myself, but the tension must have hummed in the air, because he smiled and finally spilled it...

"I've decided to give you the job Andy" There it was I hadn't wanted to get my hopes up but here was my first job as a manager!. "Now I choose you because you actually seem to know what your talking about. Also your a local lad so know the history of the club and Colne in football. Also you know how much work Nigel put into this club and I know you'll work your **** off to make this club an even biggger success" I felt pride well up as he told me he'd checked up on me and used the references I'd given, all had given glowing accounts of my work ethic and passion. "Now I'll arrange a tour with you to go over what kind of contract you'll be getting and to tour the facilities. You'll also be able to ask any questions then and we'll outline what goals you want to set for the new season. I'm going to have to shoot off now, I've go somewhere to be. I just wanted to give you the good news and let it sink in".

"Thanks Dave I won't let you or the club down, thanks for giving me this chance I'll make the most of it you don't need to worry about that!" I said on leaving. This was going to take some time to sink in I was going to be manager of a football team at 25!. Granted it wasn't liverpool or united but how many people could say that.. I couldn't take too long getting my head round this I had an stupid amount of work to do if I was going to pull off what I wanted to achieve at this club.

This was it I had to get my **** in gear I was a manager now better start acting like one.....

9 to 5 this ain't...

Life was a blur that next couple of weeks, from going to sign my contract a two year deal. The money wasn't great but it wasn't about that really plus money would improve with success so that would take care of itself in time. I'd been round the ground and training facilities, it wasn't the best but I was used to working at this level and had been here before, so it wasn't a shock to me. I'd took a look at the squad it was ok and hadn't done too bad, but I had big plans these players probably wouldn't cut it at a higher level. I had to be ruthless, it was hard but I told most of the lads they wouldn't have a place in my plans..they were local lads most and it hurt but I had to think of where this club was going..

My life had been moving along in other areas...I had meet a beautiful girl in Padiham(another amazing feat some of my mates joked!) in my time coaching there and now we had a little girl growing up fast she was only 5 months old. It was hard trying to juggle the two things trying to made good on all the promises I'd made and being a good dad but I did my best.

I got word from Dave it was to be announced to the local press that I'd been appointed as manager. The spotlight albeit only the local media would soon be on me....

Colne Times Sport
Colne today announced the appointment of the new reds manager...Andrew Monaghan. The 25 year old becomes the youngest ever Colne boss , and also the youngest boss in the North West Counties Premier. The young boss has being settling in at the Holt house but is entirely comfortable here at Colne.
" I've lived here most of my life so there no problem settling in. It's been keeping me busy but I've plenty to inspire me here Colne has a great history" Andrew said.

When ask about his relative inexperience of managment Monaghan responded with a grin "Well It may be my first management role but I've been working hard since high school!. I knew what I wanted to do from a young age and go straight to it. I have all the badges, but not only that I have experience of working as part of a club set up at this level." Monaghan has been part of the the back staff at Padiham and Bootle both clubs who are now well established NW Counties premier teams.

He also had this to say.

"I know The history of Colne in football, From the Colne dynamo days when they were so close to becoming a league club and scooping the FA Vase. And also Colne FC's success in winning the old Division 2 and getting into this league, also their amazing cup run in the FA vase beating teams like AFC Wimbledon to reach the semi finals. I want to bring real success to Colne and build on the fantastic work Nigel Coates did at this club. I ask the fans to get behind their team, and I will be doing my upmost to repay the faith shown by the chairman Dave Blacklock"

Building the team

The Colne board had worked hard and got me a pretty good wage budget together for this season. The club wasn't in any debt so some investers from the area has been persuaded to put a little money into the club. If I could manage promotion on the first try more money would follow. Investment would be steady for the leagues we were in until progress stalled. I understood this was a once in a liftime thing balls this up and there wouldn't be another shot for me or Colne... No pressure eh? Well time to do my best Harry Redknapp impersonation and I don't mean going to court over tax evasion..Time to get my little black book out....

After a lot of running around I made my first signings.

Willie Boland CM: At 36 he's no spring chicken but brings bags of experience.Has premier league experience with Coventry and has also played for Cardiff,Hartlepool.After a bad spell with Limerick he returned to England with Guisborough but I managed to talk him into a move to Colne. His experience and tough tackling in the centre of midfield will help us no end.

Jamie Forrester ST: A striker who's almost been there and done it all..Started out at Auxerre and play for big clubs like 90's Leeds and dutch prem Utrect. Never made it at leeds due to lack of consistnecy at the top level. Has played all over with great spells for Scunthorpe and Northampton Lincolon City. Also had spells at Hull,Bristol Rovers,Grimsby,Wallsall and Notts County. With his age of 37 he's dropped out of the football league and was playing for Lincoln Moorlands. After some serious persuading He made the move to lancashire. Despite his age his experience will make him an ideal partner for a younger striker to work with.

I'd made a great start. You need a good mix of youth and experience. And i couldn't have persuaded any better to come play down at this level. Between them they had tons of experience which would not only be usefull come matchday. On the training pitch they would be able to teach my younger lads a lot and bring them on as footballers a lot.

Recruitment drive....

Before the first little friendly I'd arranged against the reserves. I brought in another two players,and made history at the same time..

Eric Farro AML: From the island of reunion of the coast of Africa I found this Gem. An agent I knew alerted me to him and some other players out there.He'd heard I was out for quality on a real budget. Theres no way i could have done better than this guy. Head and shoulders above the rest of the lads I had. Was no easy feat getting him to buy into my plan but in the end cjance to play in another country and a future career as a coach cliched it. Again at 34 wasn't getting any younger but don't think I could bring in any better a true hidden gem having only played in reunion's top league.

Patrick Vaz CM/AML: A 32 year old midfeilder also playing his trade in Reunion. Learned his trade at Bordeaux,later moved to CS Cedan Ardennes, then Angers before falling in the lower National league then finally the move to Reunion. Moved for the same reasons as Farro. Another great experienced talent.

And that made history as the first players to join Colne from overseas.

Colne 1-0 Colne Reserves
Not the best game I've ever seen in my life. Solid performences from the new lads . The rest of the team proved my concerns that to reach the next level we'd need a complete overhaul. Time to get busy bringing in more players.

Recruitment Drive Continued....

Next I used my local knowledge to bring in some young players who'd been released by the big local clubs.

First from the team I support Burnley I found a few young players out of them all a persuaded 2 to join
Ed Williams RB: Young defender released at the end of last season. Has some potential and a good work ethic.
Ollie Devanney CM: Released by Burnley 2 seasons ago. Had spells FC United and Clitheroe both without success. Wants a chance to prove himself.

And then I found some players from our hated rivals Blackburn...
Tom Murray CM: Released by Blackburn 2 season ago. Yet to find a club I saw something there having trained in an academy.
Kyle Hendry ST: Former Clyde and Blackburn trainee. Released 2 season ago. Has some talent and real pedigree, Being the son of Scotland captain Colin Hendry.

The rest of my signings were other clubless young players looking for a way back into the game.

Marc Hughes St: Not the former man united striker and former man city manager. I mean I'm good but not that good lol. But a great young Irish prospect. The 21 year old came through the ranks at Bohemians getting a tast of silverware apearing in a league of Ireland cup against waterford utd. On loan thenext seaon he got 8 goals in 30 games. And pick up another medal this time in the Leinster senior cup final against Bray wanderers. The following season he was released he now hope to kickstart his career in England.

David Lee ST: Another Irish striker. At 28 is another more experienced head to add to my strikers. Played for Shebourne, Kilkenny, Monaghan( must be an Omen right?) and longford. Along with hughes is well suited to being my goal getter up front.

Ger Rafter CB: Another to add the Irish immigrants. Released by Sligoin good young CB with a good head.

Sam Christiansen CB: Former Port Vale youngster.Another decent young defender.

Pelayo Gomez St: Young spanish striker a trainee at Brentford and had a loan spell at St Albans.

Colne 5-2 Buckley

Our first real friendly was against welsh club Buckley Town. We had a storming game against the cymru allience team. David Lee took only 6 mins to get his Colne Debut. Buckley got back level on 17 mins, before lee yet again put us ahead on 28 mins. They held on til the 2nd half before we out classed them. Vaz putting in a powerfull effort on 48 mins. Hughes then got his debut goal on 78. Buckley got their consolation on 88mins. Lee then got his hat-trick and completed the rout in extra time. All in all a good first game.

Pre-season gets into gear...

Despite bringing in a lot of players this was a full rehauling of the squad plus there were still not a complete 11 I could put out I was happy with.

Adam dougan CB: Former Queen of The South trainee. Good young CB think he'll defo win a place in the first team.

Andrea Zola LB : Former West Ham youth also had a loan spell at Histon. The second famous son to join the team, with the great Gianfranco Zola being his dad. If he take after his dad in anyway he'll be a great signing.

Matthew Atkinson GK: After being frustrated time and again in search of a goalie I finally got a half decent one in. Ex Middlesborugh youth been out of the game a few seasons.

Michael Pritchard GK : Ex Reading and brentford reserve another young keeper brought in.

Colne 4-0 Maltby Main

Our second pre-season match was against North East Counties Premier oppositon. This gave us a good tast of a team at a simier level to where we were. With a more complete 11 we cruised the game. Most of the team had an excellent game but Vaz was outstanding. Vaz, Lee,Hughes and Farro shared the goals. MOM-Vaz

Taser Hassen ARM: Former Huddersfield prospect. Brought in for the empty attacking right mid slot.

Adam Watson CB: Ex Leeds youth brought in to provide competition in the CB position could be a good prospect.

Mike Searle GK: Former torquay reserve cover for the other 2 keepers.

Antons Kurakins LB: Great young LB prospect released by Celtic. Capped for latvian U21s had loan spell at Brechin before a free move to Stranaer. Will be fighting with Zola for the left place. Will be hard to choose as both are good LBs.

Colne 5-4 Selby

Our second NE Counties team proved they wern't the push overs Malby had been. A knock to Watson Meant Christensen came on and it was a poor showing from him. Hughes fired us into the lead on 6 mins. But the defenders wern't looking anywhere near as good this time out. Farro then hit home on 31 mins which should have seen us ease away in this game. And indeed it looked like we had. Forrester score his first for Colne just 2 mins later on 33 mins. The defence lapsed and Seby made it 3-1. Farro continued his good form putting us 2 goals ahead yet again on 40 mins. Despite my talk with the lads striaight from kick off nearly they lapsed again, selby making it 4-2 on 46mins. Hughes scored his second of the game to make in 5-2. From what looked like a sure thing our defence almost commited hara kiri. First Chrisitansen put a hopefull cross past his own keeper on 82 mins. Then lost Selbys Matt parker who made it 5-4 on 86mins. Leading to a tense last few minutes. Luckily the defense managed to last the remaining time without another blunder. So we kept our 100% Pre-season. Now to bring in some coaches to help me get this talent finely drilled.... MOM-Farro Worked tirelessly to keep us in the lead.

Last edited:
Building a club..

So I'd brought in a lot of players, no less than 21 players. But there were still players out there I thought I could give a chance to. Having to compete for places could bring out the best in the players. I'd not spent a penny in fees, and in terms of football wages they were on peanuts. If everything come into place and investment was found we could keep this squad together and even improve it as the seasons went on.

Andy Reynolds AMR: Young 16 yr old kid from Ireland who had been looking for his break in football. Failed to find it at a higher level, I decided to give him his first shot.

Aiden Sherlock DC: 19 yr old former Ebbsfleet reserve. Will give the other defenders a reason to keep form and does have some potential.

Dean West RB: Veteran RB with league experience with the likes of Lincoln, Bury and Burnley. Also knows the non-league with stints at Kings Lynn, Corby and Stamford. Saw promotion from what is now league 2 level to championship level with Bury. Was also promoted to championship level with Burnley. In non league saw promotions with both Kings Lynn and Corby. Even though now at the grand age of 39 has heaps he could pass on to the others in the team.

Stephen Connor ARM/CM/ST: Ex Everton youngster brought in mainly as right mid cover. Being a player who could cover various positions also made him a potentially valuble member of the team.

Now I didn't only need players. I needed to hand pick my own back staff who'd be able to help me drill the players in the way I wanted them to play football. I wanted more fast flowing passing football with us creating the pressure on the other team. After a search through all the possible options I started to put together my team..

Andy Goss Asstitant Manager: At 32 Andy was another young lad in terms of football coaching but had ability and a good knowledge of the game.

Trevor McAughtrie Coach: Again another young coach at 31. But was a good coach and thats what mattered. That and he was willing to come here and take peanuts coach mostly for the love of the game lol.

Curtis Thomas Scout: Scout based in Bristol had good knowledge of most of Britain which was all I needed for now.

Thackley 0-2 Colne
My first ever away trip with the reds was to Western League Div 1 Thackley. The match was an ideal friendly in which we put on a good performance and also kept a clean sheet. Striker David Lee came up with both on 22mins and a penalty just before half time on 43mins. MOM: David Lee A constant worry to Thackley, and up to 6 goals this pre-season.

Last edited:
The pre-season ends...

Irchester 0-3 Colne

View attachment 276571

Another pleasing pre-season run out. David Lee score yet another goal After a matk farmer own goal in an impressive pre-season. Veteran Striker Forrester also put in a good showing and scored his first ever goal for the reds. MOM Aiden Sherlock The CB had a fine run out keeping the defence safe and building play with some nice pass's.

Colne 2-0 Hollywell
View attachment 276572
Entertaining the second welsh team in our last friendly. Eric Farro showed red fans what he was all about running rings round Hollywell. He also score both goals in what turned out to be a comfortable last run out before the season started. MOM_ Eric Farro No contest best player on the pitch.

Also before the season kicked off I made brought some more players in. Even though I had a workable team now there was still some talented players out there, also I still could stretch the budget a bit further yet...

Leeroy Chinthengah ST: Ex Oldham reserve has some skill and some real potential.

Liam Davidson AMR/MC Former Carlise youth not quite up to the standard of the other midfielders but had the promise.

Adam Copeland CB/LB Ex Port Vale youth player in the same team as other colne signing Christensen. Being able to play both in the centre and on the left of defence would be usefull.

Trevor Mutero, AMR: Former Reading trainee was released after a quiet loan spell at Bracknell two seasons ago. Still has a future in the game and a fine player as back up.

Igor Coronado, AMR: I now have a wealth of right mid options after bringing in the this part brazilian, Former MK Dons youth player.

Stephen Stirling, CM: A real coup for me and Colne. The former Rangers youth and reserve player also spent time on loan at Stirling. Has real skill and ability and should be a big player for us.

George Williams RB/CB: Former team mate of Igor Coronado at Mk Dons. We were light in right back options so this would give us added cover and he could be a good player in his own right in time.

Paul Tortoishell AML/AMR Former stoke reserve brought in as cover due to his ability to play on either wing. Been out of football for a few years after playing for Rochester..He wanted to get back into the game so I was giving him this chance.

So The build up to the season had gone well. I had a good group of young talent and experienced veterans which was a good mix. There was also plenty of competition for places which should mean harder work on the training pitch,and also on match day.
Now it was time to see if the team would be able to get us the promotion which I was aiming for. I'd get an idea when the first matchs came along. First up would be a match in front of the home crowd at Holt House...