Combining the two..

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
BBC Sport - Champions League may have 64 clubs & Europa League scrapped

[h=1]Champions League may have 64 clubs & Europa League scrapped[/h]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405#dna-comments

European football's governing body Uefa is considering ditching the Europa League in favour of extending the Champions League from 32 to 64 teams.
"We're discussing it. We will make a decision in 2014. Nothing is decided yet," Uefa president Michel Platini told French newspaper Ouest-France.
It means seven English clubs and five Scottish teams could qualify for European football's elite competition.
Uefa are looking at changing the format of European competitions from 2015.
"There is an ongoing debate to determine what form the European competitions will have between 2015 and 2018," added Platini.
The former France international said he was not worried by talk of Europe's richest clubs forming a competition to rival the Champions League.
"It's a question that is regularly brought up," he said.
"I can't see how it could work outside the Uefa framework. Who will referee them? In what stadiums will they play?"

It's all about the money. Champions League is boring until the last 16 anyway, why add even more boring games!? Not to mention the fact that the Europa League is a chore, not a competition.

Can we not just go back to European Cup, UEFA Cup, & Cup Winners Cup? -.-

Well seeing as UEFA have buggered-up what used to give the UEFA Cup it's prestige, why not just **** it all up into one comp. which will get butchered again in 5 years when all the rich club have a sook and a cry about finances/travel distances/too long/whatever else 5yo selfish kids prattle on about.

I liked the staging of the old UEFA Cup (Home - Away, Cumulative winner progressed) as it threw up quite a few surprises.
I found it more exciting than group staging of the CL.
That said, Cl still had cracker matches in those stages, but the hype was only in tight final rounds.

Europa league is a chore to 'top' clubs, mostly those that just fail to make the CL. For most lower tier league clubs though it's about all they can realistically aim for. Which is why you do tend to see some better games in it rather than in the CL (until last 16).

It's a horrible idea, would make football all the more about money.

What a terrible idea, honestly who the **** comes up with these, UEFA is seriously run by people who don't have a blue about football.

Totally pointless and thankfully managers are agreeing like Wenger etc.

Well, something does need to change, EL has completely failed to build any kind of prestige.

Well, something does need to change, EL has completely failed to build any kind of prestige.
Because it's basically Champions League Lite.
It has no separate identity anymore.

Why would you do this!? I know the currently Europa League system isn't really working, but doing this will just lose the prestigious-ness of the Champions League too!

They should leave the CL as it is but try to modify the format of the EL, so it may become more popular. But yeah, I agree with zzeezzy, UEFA know **** all about football!

Because it's basically Champions League Lite.
It has no separate identity anymore.

Indeed, i hate to see clubs just blowing it off, it should be 3rd most important trophy in Europe right after league and CL, but instead its even behind Mickey Mouse Cup.