Commenting on players - uses for matches and transfers

arun

Reaction score
I am not sure if I should put it in the Players or the Tactics section, but this seems more appropriate. I have some thoughts and questions on the subject of commenting on other teams' players.

What are the uses of commenting on players? As I see it, there are three possible types:

1. To try to comment on the player ahead of a match and try to put pressure on him - the Dangerman comment. When I tried it on Torres and Gerrard, Torres was said to be under pressure while Gerrard was said to be relishing the challenge. Torres played badly in his next game :D

Sometimes the backroom staff will suggest that you do this - I suggest that you try it once at least. Of course, the tendency of a staff member to suggest this may depend upon his personality etc. This is a complete guess, but it is quite possible that a staff member who likes to play mind games will be more likely to suggest. None of my staff at my new club ManU have suggested it in over a year.

I could be wrong, but using the correct type of comment can be helpful sometimes, while saying the wrong thing could fire up the guy and hurt your chances. Keeping notes is the key here. If you plan on playing against the same teams again and again, then I suggest doing this. I also do this for my own players - it can make them more determined to play better in order to impress you even more or simply up their morale. Used wrongly, it can act as a bad PR comment. From the F2 screen, you can see all the notes in your notebook.

2. Make positive comments about a player. I don't know what use this has, except upping the morale of that player and making him more determined to perform well in the next game. Perhaps you can use it on a player who would be playing against your rival in an attempt to make the chances of their defeat higher?

Another possible use could be gauging how the player sees you as a manager. For example, Van der Sar brushed aside my comments when my reputation was National but Kaka was pleased when my reputation was World Class. I can't see any other use. Can you?

Young players have a different category of these comments. I have no idea what use they are and how they are different from normal 'admire' comments.

3. The third category of comments is where you declare your interest in buying a player. This is also the one whose use I have seen against me first-hand. I had to really struggle to keep Rafael VDV playing at his potential at Portsmouth. Obviously, you will also get an indication if the player is interested in coming to your club or not. But mainly it may unsettle the player. These two do not always go together. Only if the player reciprocates your interest is there a possibility that he will be unsettled. But it is also quite possible that he will be happy to stay at his club while also delighted at the prospect of joining you.

Of course, using these comments too many times will elicit a negative response. Try it - it can be fun ;)

Also, all these types of comments will have three variations each - you can call them mild, moderate and strong. I don't have much experience with this - any suggestion on how to use the variations? I just make a sort of logical guess. As Portsmouth manager, I would say that we will have to stop Torres to gain anything from the match. Whereas as the ManU manager, I say that I see him as the main threat. If it is the star of a smaller team, I just say that I see him as a possible threat. I don't know if these variations mean anything, it just a rational guess ;)

So, what is your experience? Have you managed to bring pressure upon a player and make him unfocused? Have you managed to unsettle a potential signing so he wants to leave his club. And if so, have you managed to bring down his asking price from an extravagant $50M to a more reasonable $35M or so? Any ideas will be appreciated. This is one area of the game I wish to explore. I am average at making tactics, so I need to be good at other aspects of the game. Then there is the whole area of manager interaction waiting to be explored :)

PS: Sleeping is for sissies!

Last edited: