Common Problems #1; Form vs. Potential vs. Ability

SacreBleu

Reaction score
So I'm going to try this new idea I've had, a weekly/twice-a-weekly post, discussing common problems on FM 2012, the eventually the most popular solution.

My first common problem is one I commonly have quite often; Too many players playing at a certain position (For example, when I was managing Middlesbrough, I had four M/AM Cs. Two could be played at MC(L/R), and the other two would be either watching the game from the bench, or from the stands.)

The problem with this was the selection process I had to go through each week;
(According to my Ast. Man.);
Two of the players (let's call them Bill (H) and Bob (H)) had 4 star ability, 4 stars potential, but were both 30+.

One (John 8-|) had 3 stars ability, 5 stars potential,

And the other (Timmy :p) just 2 in each category.

Easy selection right? But every time I put "Timmy Two Stars" on the park, he'd either score or set one up. Bearing in mind this is in the Barclays Premier League, so there were no "easy" games.

So I had a problem, and probably one that other players have too... Form vs. Potential vs. Ability.

Choose to rest Bill (H) and/or Bob (H) and you risk letting the game engine do what it's supposed to do and you lose control of the midfield.

Rest John 8-| and his potential may never be realised.

Timmy :p just can't stop playing well and a 7.12 average game rating doesn't lie. Plus, raising his profile could lead to a greater value and more money if you decide to get rid of him.

So there you have it. Problem #1. Any similar circumstances and your solutions would be greatly appreciated by myself and probably others too.

SB.

(p.s) I'll post my solution soon.

Last edited:
A great topic and one I struggle with every minute of every day on this game. The thing that is so hard is that players won't improve unless they see the field and typically, they need to see the field A LOT. I look at my low-star players who always perform well and think, "yeah sure, but for what?". In other words, yes it may help me win today, but it comes at a sacrifice for the growth of my squad tomorrow. With that in mind, here is how I approach the game. I do not dominate this game like others but I do play a financially poorer team which accounts for any lack of success I typically have.

For me, you will see the field if you produce and IF your potential is near the max. So, if the 2 star guy produces more than the 4 star guy, and their potential is pretty much at max, the 2 star guy gets most of the reps and the 4 star guy becomes a back-up, potential transfer. For the player that has high potential but a ways to go to get there, I get them on as regular subs with occasional starts until they basically 'make or break' themselves. Just like real life, you need to make the most of your opportunities. If you don't, then you won't get more time in my system. I have a DR who has 5 star potential but is one star now and kills it in reserves but every time I bring him up for a first team game, he gets a 5.5 or worse rating. For 3 years!! now I have tried to get him more reps to get his star level up but he hurts my team. So he is languishing and I hate it! But, I have no other options, you have to produce to get more reps.

Squad Rotation. You play one Bill or Bob with with one of Timmy and John. You then put one of the two left over on the bench. Timmy gets played against United but John gets played against Norwich. Against top clubs you would put Timmy on the bench if he doesn't start, if he does start you You put one of the 4*boys on the bench who didn't start. Against small clubs you put John on the bench if he doesn't start if he does start you put on one of the 4* boys on the bench.

To keep the ball rolling, I'll stick my solution up the noo. Again this is just a suggestions post and doesn't always have the answer.

Sometimes I'll get a little bias towards the young ones. When I started my first FM 2012 game as manager of A.C. Milan, I would often put El Sharaararararrraaaaaway into the starting team instead of a Robinho or Boateng, simply because I thought "If I am going to be the manager for the next five or six seasons, I better grow him now."

Sadly this made no sense whatsoever, as I gave up that game, never making it past the first season.

So my solution(s); 1) Make an effort to play the game properly or 2) Sell one of them sooner rather than later.

If you have chosen option 1, the answer will come to you quickly. Ask for training reports, put them in the reserves for a game or two, see who they have good relationships with, whether or not the can play through balls to your pacey strikers, or make good tackles and help out the lacking defenders, are they ambitious? Could they be a good tutor/tutoree?

The list will go on and on, and depending how into the game you are, you could find the perfect solution from all the game data. (Unbelievably it is there for a reason!)

Choosing option 2 is sometimes the easy way out but perhaps just as effective. However, selling fringe players can be difficult so maybe sending them out on loan to a feeder team could be an option.

Keep the responses coming!

SB

Squad Rotation.
This has been my solution in the past, but doesn't really solve the problem completely. You'll still have too many players in your squad at that position, especially as more come through the youth ranks, and paying big contracts to bench players. Also, as @TakedaLegout was saying; " players won't improve unless they see the field and typically, they need to see the field A LOT." Your potential star could just become an ordinary first-teamer - or worse another Bill or Bob (H)

This has been my solution in the past, but doesn't really solve the problem completely. You'll still have too many players in your squad at that position, especially as more come through the youth ranks, and paying big contracts to bench players. Also, as @TakedaLegout was saying; " players won't improve unless they see the field and typically, they need to see the field A LOT." Your potential star could just become an ordinary first-teamer - or worse another Bill or Bob (H)
I'm a big fan of squad rotation so the youth players start playing earlier but play less often when they make the team.

Just to put a spanner in the works... those who suggest squad rotating with Timmy, doesn't sort of defeat the object? If a player is "in form", playing him every other game would upset his form, therefore he would become out of form, and not of any use.

to get the maximum out of Timmy you must play him whilst in form. When he starts unperforming then you can either drop him to your bench or sell him whilst at his highest potential transfer fee.