mcbgun

Reaction score
With FM13 looming on the horizon I thought it might be an interesting idea to put our collective heads together to come up with a NON MATCH ENGINE EXPLOITING tactic.

I know what your thinking, everyone has a different philosophy etc etc...but you can clearly see tactics created on here are grouped into the same sorts of ideals....namely possession football, attacking football and more defensive orientated tactics.

I was giving this some thought yesterday. Why not take a simple 4-4-2 and get everyone to create the best tactic they can with whatever philosophy/style they want to.

Lets be clear though, no exploits...at all. What will make this interesting is to use the same team, make no signings all season and get people to actually play rather than simulate.

2 things here that make this interesting.....

1) Bragging rights! With only a handful of time left, who can take a simple 4-4-2 formation and turn it into a winner playing in whatever style they want it to.

2) Inadvertently create a more organic testing thread where results can be looked at with much greater realism than simulating with Assistant Manager.

Use whatever training you like, OI's, Match Prep, pitch size. The only thing that needs to be ensured is everyone is using the latest patch and also the latest transfer update from Marshall.

Its just an idea and to be honest with time on the side of the newer game, maybe this is what we can do as a community to give those wanting a challenge something to work on?

People will create the tactic based on the players in that team...

Some will create it based on a one size will fit all...

Don't get caught up too much discussing the pros and cons. We are trying a little friendly competition to create more discussion and hopefully see what our great members can come up with.

Why 4-4-2? Its bog standard and boring...what could be better than turning it into a world beater!

Why not use ME exploits? Its impressive people have found weaknesses in game. It is a game after all. But I don't know about you guys...but I never feel good winning games artificially. I'd rather lose a game using a "normal" formation and know that I didn't exploit than to thrash a top team by 5 or 6 goals using a weak team and know that this realistically would be unlikely!

Anyway, onto the basic rules:
-------------------------------

Team to be used: Reading

Expected to finish bottom, nuff said.

-----
Rules
-----

No ME exploits...please! Seriously just use your skill to create something awesome, there's plenty on here to prove tactics can be successful without exploiting the ME. No corner bugs, no goals goals goals target man running onto the ball etc......just stick to the non exploiting route.

No transfers. Keep the squad as is....unless there's a no injury option in the game which there isn't then we have no choice but to accept this as keeping the playing field as level as possible.

One season only, minimal settings. For speed and to try and keep you interested, just use the premier league only and set the database to minimum.

Finally guys, please don't cheat in any way. This thread is built on trust that you won't doctor screenshots or use exploits. The whole point here is to create friendly competition and also to create further discussion. This is just an idea for a new thread for people wanting something to do and maybe stamp their authority one final time!

I'll update the OP as the tactics flow in. Every tactic will have a link so even if yours isn't the best it'll get recognition!

Simply post your tactic using the following template:

Tactic Name:
Strategy: (defensive, standard, attacking etc etc)
Philosophy: possession based, attacking and direct etc etc
Training used: can be your own....if so let us know!
Tactic mode: Classic or Modern
OI: opposition instructions
Touchline shouts: if using modern not classic

I think that's it. Play through a season and keep restarting and playing through the season again until your happy with your results. Then post up using the above template.

I really hope people take this thread up and have a go. I'd love to see Raikan, Scotsman, Mr Hough...all the big names put in one final shift (and to have a bit of friendly banter) to see who can create something good. Look forward to seeing and hearing from people! I'm off to create my own submission.....it will suck no doubt but at least it'll make people feel good when they completely outdo me and make me look inept!

Last edited:
I'm no Raikan or Mr Hough but, ...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!Will keep you posted.

Here is à really good approach for underdogs that might serve as à framewok. Naturally, if one is to avoid exploits , one cant tweak sliders in à trial & error way as it Will result in exploiting the ME even intentionally.

BOLTON TACTIC
- An underdog tactic

Disclaimer: This is in no way emulation.

Bolton, an underdog ?. Well irl, they certainly are but as we all now, anything can be achieved with almost all teams in the EPL. But for now, let’s just say that Bolton is as **** as this year, that our main goal is to stay up and build on for next season and doing so without even being near getting involved in a relegation battle

Here, the key lies in using players capable of defending as that’s what we are doing most of the time, even when in possession.

Also suited for
Swansea, QPR, Doncaster, Crystal P. Obviously there are more teams but you getting the hang of it

The players

Left FC - Target man Support - Davies, N´Gog
Right FC – Defensive FC - Klasnic, N´Gog,

Left MC – DLP Defend – Reo, Holden
Right MC – CM Defend - Muamba

1st and only strategy: Slow and Cautious Possession Football

We keep a tight formation when attacking on the counter, holding on to the ball. Not only by playing in a slow tempo, but also by using many defensive roles. Defensive Wingers, a Cm on defend a playmaker on defend, a defensive Forward etc. To keep possession better we actually play down the flanks so that when we drop the ball, we still have many people behind it. In this rigid approach the defence comes first and we stick to our positions and as we don’t have the players for it ( generally speaking), we sit deeper and DON’T hassle.

The Approach uses a full Playmaker and a full target man, both players that are set to be cautious

normalformation.png

Here is one more approach one could look at for inspiration, one that works well in tandem with the Bolton one.

ASTON VILLA TACTIC
a middle team

Disclaimer:This is in no way emulation.

Basically, I have been using these settings. As you see, there is nothing fancy here. I just let the players do their stuff. Here, we take advantage of the fact that Aston Villa have 4 (yes, even Heskey !!) really good forwards that have specific competence. We also play to the fact that we have central midfielders that do like to get forward ( played as BBM) and some that likes to stay behind and defend at hit t-balls from deep ( the CM on defend).

Being a middle team, ands there is very little difference between the teams considered 8-18th​, we will find our selves needing to play like one. Not too fancy, not to attacking or wide. Instead, we let our attackers and the BBM create space.

Also suited for

Stoke, Sunderland, Fulham. Obviously there are more teams but you getting the hang of it

The players

Left FC - Target man Support - Gabby, Heskey
Right FC - Advanced FC
or Poacher - Bent, Delfouneso

Left MC - CM defend – Petrov, Bannan if played in the center, Jenas
Right MC – BBM - Delph, Ireland

1st strategy: Tight counter formation

We keep a tight formation when attacking on the counter, getting the ball forward, pushing up the team to keep it even tighter along with putting pressure on the opponent. The attackers on the other hand will provide width and lots of movement.

Against teams playing with a DMC-MC-MC, DO NOT use the " Play Narrower" shout

mainformation.png

2nd Keeping the ball and using the space

Here, we use more of the width in midfield and defence and slow things down, trying to keep possession better. Maybe against teams that sit deeper with their team, playing tight as well or when wanting to hold on to the ball and dictate the game, seeing out a 2-0 lead, not really needing to score that 3-0 on the cost of risking the AI making a comeback

2ndformation.png

West Ham United standard 442 - shorter/possession type football

I created this for my new season with West Ham, I know its not with Reading, but I am not starting a new save until Fm13...

• Pass ball into space/Get ball forward shouts
  • Ask assistant manager to apply opposition instructions
  • Usual teamtalks

If playing away from home, switch over to Counter and change the AP to Box to box mid and untick him as the playmaker!

View attachment 271220

No exploits have been used at all, I have however used Near post but have yet to score from corners, even though I have Llorente there :)

I am not finished with this at all, it just beat Liverpool 1:0 creating 4 ccc's and had over 61% possession in its first competitive game!

Will post the tactic once I have completed it, otherwise if anyone would like to use it and make changes to it etc, let me know and will upload it :)

Wow, liking the responses so far! Maybe I'll test everything myself, that way I know I'm giving this the best chance to succeed. Will update as I go.