Complacency/Players Playing Nervously?

TheMercNinja

Reaction score
I am managing Bolton I'm in the 2011/12 season and I won everything last season. My problem is that for some reason my players are starting to play nervously and are starting to become complacent. My team talks are 'expect to win' and we still lose and morale goes down loads. Any suggestions?

Slightly off-topic but how did you win everything with Bolton in the first season? :O

I was really suprised as well! In the end I think it was becasue the team are very determined and that they were never complacent at any stage. Also my tactics made sure we won a lot. But now we're losing because they're becoming complacent. Suggestons?

the team morale is going down mayeb because you are telling them you expect a win when you are not strong favourites for the match

On the match analysis they say they expect my team to score 3 or 4 goals?

I would try and use stern private chats with those becoming most complacent , something like -
"I am dissapointed with your recent form"
"Warn transfer list"

This should bring them back down to earth.

Probably because your telling them you 'Expect A Win' , if you wish them luck or say pressure is off then they'll most likely play with more confidence.

i never say pressure is off and hardly ever say wish luck

like 99.99% of the time i say for the fans

Tried no pressure still playing nervously. Also tried for fans still playing nervously

i never say pressure is off and hardly ever say wish luck

like 99.99% of the time i say for the fans

Say the same thing over and over again and the players won't respond to it in the same way.

nervous players are because you have over-hyped them/your team/expectations or because they're young and inexperienced or because they are scared to make a mistake (which usually results in... a mistake!)

consider the age and experience of the players in relation to the match itself. bigger games will increase the pressure on players, the weaker/less experienced are likely to be nervous simply because they are over-awed by the occasion.

similarly, putting a young, inexperienced player up against a "legend" (Rooney, Gerrard, Messi, Fabregas, etc) is also likely to make them nervous