Computer Help Thread

I know most people on here aren't computer geniuses but hopefully somebody can help me with this.

I've recently stopped using my normal 22inch LCD screen for my PC as plugged it into my 32inch TV as my Xbox is broken so I have a spare slot, I'm using a HDMI cable, which is working fine. I'm also using my own logitech speakers for sound which work fine, but I have a problem.

My TV speakers make a crackling noise randomly, even when muted and the volume turned to 0. I know it's not the TV because I have Sky HD and the port works fine with that so..

1) How do I fix it? My only guess is I need a new cable but if anyone knows more then I'd appreciate it :D
2) The speakers, a HDMI cable supplies sound and audio right? But when I unplugg my speakers I can't get any audio..

(Btw before I was using a non-HD monitor, with the logitech speakers with a normal blue cable. Now it's a HDMI cable with the same speakers and a HD-TV)

Thanks in advance guys, and if nobody knows any solutions but can point me in the right direction it would still help :D:wub:

I know most people on here aren't computer geniuses but hopefully somebody can help me with this.

I've recently stopped using my normal 22inch LCD screen for my PC as plugged it into my 32inch TV as my Xbox is broken so I have a spare slot, I'm using a HDMI cable, which is working fine. I'm also using my own logitech speakers for sound which work fine, but I have a problem.

My TV speakers make a crackling noise randomly, even when muted and the volume turned to 0. I know it's not the TV because I have Sky HD and the port works fine with that so..

1) How do I fix it? My only guess is I need a new cable but if anyone knows more then I'd appreciate it :D
2) The speakers, a HDMI cable supplies sound and audio right? But when I unplugg my speakers I can't get any audio..

(Btw before I was using a non-HD monitor, with the logitech speakers with a normal blue cable. Now it's a HDMI cable with the same speakers and a HD-TV)

Thanks in advance guys, and if nobody knows any solutions but can point me in the right direction it would still help :D:wub:

Have you tried the HDMI cable for the PC with something else? Try that first. If the problem persists, its a new HDMI cable. If its not making a noise with something else, I would suggest asking a PC Mechanic to take a look at the HDMI port on the PC.

do you use realtek audio ?

I don't know mate. Thanks for the reply though.

I've managed to fix it now though, what I did was (for anyone who has the same problem)

1) Unplug my speakers
2) Go into sound settings
3) Disable all audio outputs and inputs (apart from headphones)
4) Prease OK and no more noise..

Have you tried the HDMI cable for the PC with something else? Try that first. If the problem persists, its a new HDMI cable. If its not making a noise with something else, I would suggest asking a PC Mechanic to take a look at the HDMI port on the PC.

I think it is the cable, but disabling all sound on the TV seems to have fixed it... For now, I'll probably invest in a new HDMI cable anyway because mines a bit old now :D

But Stu, do you know if HDMI cables add sound? I know they do on Xbox and Sky, but not sure about PC's??

My hard drive died the other day and I have lost all my music (22gb). I still have it all on my ipod though, is there anyway to transfer it all back on? I have heard possibly winamp but would I need to download a specific add-in? Or any other advice? cheers.

If you re-install iTunes, and in settings, connect iPod, but make sure that automatic Sync is OFF in iTunes settings. Then on the first page, with the iPod info on, click 'enable disk use'. Then you can copy your music to your PC easily :)

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

I think it is the cable, but disabling all sound on the TV seems to have fixed it... For now, I'll probably invest in a new HDMI cable anyway because mines a bit old now :D

But Stu, do you know if HDMI cables add sound? I know they do on Xbox and Sky, but not sure about PC's??[/QUOTE]

Yeas, they are the same as the SCART, video and audio. You can plug in a audio jack to your PC if you need to,.

Ah right I think I know what it is. The video part of the cable works, but the audio is not working. A new cable should do the trick :D Thanks guys

Have to agree with Eddlad. Malewarebytes is a fantastic free system that destroys any malicious hardware on your computer very fast.

When windows 7 RC ran out read a document online to go back to old windows vista settings by creating win7 into separate folder and then using windows.old to go back to old settings to save time than backing everything up using command prompt....Did this until i noticed i didn't have a windows.old so i did 50% of the process. Long story short i now got win7 folder that it wont let me delete and takes up 20gb, now back to running windows vista again after hours of pain. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions to remove this folder (deleted most of it that i could, was 80gb before)

While yer there, is there anyway to improve a laptops graphics card?

Problem a)

To cleanup the Windows.old folder, you can click on the Vista pearl, type "disk clean" and hit enter to open the Disk Cleanup tool. Choose "Files from all users on this computer" and choose the drive you want to clean. After it lists what is available to "clean", scroll down and select Windows.old from the list of choices. Then delete as desired!

Problem b)

Buy a new graphics card.

Last edited:
Operating system: Windows Vista Home Basic

Problem:
I turned off the double tap = click and dont know how to turn it back on any ideas ?

May I add Super Anti Spyware is a great spyware remover, comes as a free version & there's a premium version. Free one works fine for the times you get the pesky spyware, malware etc...

Just run, update, scan - always got rid of any **** i've had :)
http://www.superantispyware.com/

And I agree with Sean, Microsoft Security Essentials is good, just you need a real copy of Windows to use it.

This site is handy too, friend of mine told me about it, has loads of free software on it with reviews etc...
http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Last edited:
Problem a)

Problem b)

Buy a new graphics card.

Nah didn't work, its not on the list at all, its not a proper win.old i don't think, the other win.old i had from when i switched to 32 to 64 deleted with no problem. Also just used Eraser mentioned above that wouldnt delete it on restart either :(

If anybody is having difficulty deciding which AV suite to download. I have been testing almost all the current programs and the only one that ticks all the boxes is Avast.

Low resource drain.
Fantastic resident protection.
Root kit search.
Antivirus, antispyware, and heuristics engines.

It's the best all round package and detected several virus infections that AVG had missed on my pc.