Headshrinker

Reaction score
I'm in early February in my Blackburn Rovers career and my team currently lie 12th in the table, 7 points off the playoffs, and a good 20 points off the top of the league which was my target! The reason: My team can't stop conceding!!! 56 goals conceded at this stage is absolutely shocking, its the 3rd highest in the league and the 1st and 2nd are both in the relegation places (Rotherham and Blackpool, who both managed to take points from us at home!). We have also scored 56 goals which is a large amount but its very hard to win a game when your conceding so many!

I'm playing with a pretty standard 4-4-2 Diamond formation, if needs be I can post a screenshot of my team and all that.

But I just desperately need to know how to stop my team from conceding, its beyond a joke. My usual defense:
Jason Steele
Tommy Spurr Grant Hanley Shane Duffy Todd Kane

That defense really should be doing a lot better, given that they are all 3*/3.5* rated players.

That's a lot of goals.
Do post your tactics and instructions if you want us to help with your tactics and instructions.

View attachment 323438

Sorry I don't have a screenshot of my team instructions right now, forgot to get one and my game takes the mick to load! Looking at it now I realise that too many of my players have the attacking mentality set. It hasn't always been like this, and I think that is probably why I have conceded so many as of late. I also used to have full-backs instead of complete wing backs but I would still concede a lot.

View attachment 323430

Okay, so thats my team instructions.

View attachment 323429

There's most of my fixtures this season. As you can see, I concede in basically every game and it makes it very frustrating and very difficult to get a victory.

View attachment 323428

This is what I changed my tactic to for my last game against Norwich, a game which I really should have won, but, I conceded an amazing 4 goals and it could have been a lot more had they not been so poor in front of goal. To make things even better, I've just been told that I have one month to save my job by the chairman.

Things really need to pick up soon!

For any pair of central defenders, never ever field two stopper/cover duties. Use a mix, or just stick to two defend duties.
And you might want to switch the DM to Defend duty. Looks like you're playing a wide 4-4-2 diamond. Your midfield on a normal day would probably already be dominated by opposing 2 men or 3 men midfields. Not good to have no one on defensive duty.

When i use complete wingbacks i like to use a Half back or an Anchor man. A defensive Midfielder on support isn't a Holding mid. he'll be caught out of position a lot. And since you're using CWB's maybe narrow that midfield diamond so you don't get overrun in the middle

Thanks for your help guys!

Unfortunately it was too late for me, got sacked 12 points off the top 6 with 8 games left to go. Think I'll just take control of a new manager as I think I've got a very good squad there at Rovers, just unfortunately couldn't get them playing as well as they could this time!

Sorry I know I am late but who on earth was supposed to be defending in that set up? You only had two defensive duties in your side and they were your two CB's!

Plus two CWB's when you have wingers both on attack just doesn't make sense. With the wide diamond you need a defensive role in the middle otherwise you're just going to get slaughtered.

I hope you make the necessary changes if you have or are going to take over Blackburn again.

I know, I see the error of my ways! Just coming in from a very sucessful FM14 career where I'd actually won the Premier League with Rovers in 2019 so naturally I was unprepared for the tough 46-game Championship season! Taken over at Blackburn again, made my self a completely new 4-3-3 tactic that will hopefully take the league by storm.