conceding goals at the near post when winning?!

dbs86

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed this you could be winning and controlling the game your tactics could be spot on yet the other team alwyas seem to score and its usually from a cross and a near post runner who slots it home. its getting a bit annoying for me tbh. Ive tried multiple ways to stop this even telling my fullbacks to sit wider in the hope it will funnel the winger inside so they cant cross but what ever i seem to do i cannot stop this happening.

anyone had success in keeping lots of clean sheets? how are you setting up your defence to maintain defensive shape?

Nope - think it's THE way for the game to score against you this year :(
Actually just threw away a 5-0-lead in 45 minutes against Everton with 4 of the goals being that way...hmm

tell me about it just played barcelona with my athletic bilbao team 3rd season in, went 1-0 down from a near post cross and tap in, equalised through iker muniain running through the whole barcelona defence and curling it into the far post, fancied my chances and after re-signing llorente started pumping it long so he could bully the barcelona defence in hope of another goal... which i got when from a corner llorente rose highest to hit a towering header home 2-1 to me 88 minutes gone im thinking result so i change to my defensive tactic to see out the game and what happens messi crosses for neymar at the near post his first shot my keeper somehow parries but he then slots the rebound home past the helpless keeper while my centre backs just nonchalantly stroll back within touchin distance of him 2-2 at home which is a good result but i scented blood and wanted the win :(

Did you try the same to see if it works as good as it works for the other teams?

If so, use it and maybe you will not get 1 or 2 goals but 4 or 5. When winning by 3 or more, set your wingers and full abcks to support, hard tackle, show weaker foot on OI and lower your d-line and take out any close down instructions that you have.

I put a thread on here abotu this its awful, happens all the time. It's too easy I drew a game 5 all and all there goals and 4 of mine were scored that way

I wonder does anybody really play test the ****** thing ever?!!! I mean it only took a couple of hours of game time for EVERYONE to notice this FFS!!!

They try so hard to make it worthy of another 30 pound outlay that they mess it up. Hopefully after a few patches it'll be there.

They try so hard to make it worthy of another 30 pound outlay that they mess it up. Hopefully after a few patches it'll be there.

Imho it doesnt really need patches to be worthy - on beta I managed to make reasonably effective tactics despite the short time I played it. Its just that certain things are so easy to spot ...

ive created a new 4411 tactic thats defensive and it seems very solid, the team keep their shape and the midfield set up to screen the defence. close down less is selectedto provide this screening so just a bit of pressure is put on the man on the ball, this is working for the midfield but the problem is setting it up like this the denfence dont close down at all i just conceded a goal where the opposition striker was literally on the penalty spot and both centre backs where just inside the 6 yard box, he recieved the ball and slotted it home... i understand that i have set close down less as an instruction but surely the basic centre back settings would make them close down players who around the penalty spot? if i was to set my centre backs to close down more i bet they would run past the midfielders to close the ball down and ruin my defensive structure. i could try tighter marking but i doubt that would make much difference either any one else noticed this when using a defensive mentality anyone got any suggestions?

seem to be having a bit more success lads with the defending issues i have a 4411 with a defensive mentality and flexible shape, close down less, lower tempo, play narrower and pass into space instructions. i have set player instructions to try and be more specific to my defenders as too many goals come from free players ghosting into my area.

full backs close down less, tackle harder, ( they dont put as much pressure on the wideman and pull the shape apart but they do try to tackle him more and place him under more pressure.... this seems to be working

once i fixed the near post cross issue i had another one which was centre backs in a defensive mentality put noone under any sort of real pressure no matter where they are in the box so...

centre backs close down more (only 1), tackle harder, mark tighter, as team instructions tell them to just screen the goal this must be the issue so telling them to mark tighter, close down more and tackle harder hopefully means they will try to dominate the strikers and bully them all game. only 1 centre back should close down more tho as that should provide a bit of defensive cover without having to select cover duty as i find this in defensive mentality just opens up gaps to be exploited. i must have got it right somewhere as after going on a 6 game losing streak in he league with boavista these changes secured me a 3-1 home win and their goal again was from a cross but it was a fluke my defender got there 1st and cleared it only for it to hit the striker and rebound into the net, i can accept that tho as at least my defender got it 1st. will see how this new defensive set up works out over the next few games