Conceding too many goals from crosses

Tk1129

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums, but have been playing FM since 2005.

I just recently got FM2010 and the new way it handles tactics has left me a little confused.
I started with a team in Bulgaria (where I am from) and I am playing in the "Western B" Group.

Using the Tactics creator I created an Attacking Tactic (4-3-2-1) without wide midfielders. My passing is short and I retain usually 60-65% of the posession and pass completion is maybe a little too high. I am routinely restricted to shots from distance even though my lone forward is consistently hanging on the shoulder of the defender and looking to latch onto trough balls. Its frustrating, because my midfielders have time on the ball around 30 yards outside the box and a 10 yard through ball puts my striker in a scoring position, instead they choose to shoot long. I tried shouting "play in the box" and "pass into space", but they still don't.

Another big problem is that I am conceding too many goals from crosses. out of the last 6 goals I conceded, 4 have been headers. I was surprised because in FM2009, there were rarely any goals from headers. I even played with really good target men like Amauri and incredible crossers like Camoranesi and I scored almost no headers. I don't remember conceding more than 2-3 headed goals a season either.

The forwards that scored the goals were not exceptionally tall or have great heading and jumping (11-12) for both attributes max.

Is the reason I am conceding so many, because I have no wide midfielders? My centre backs are both over 6 foot and have decent jumping and heading (1 is 15 heading 15 jumping) other is (10 heading and 18 jumping) and both have over 13 in positioning. all stats I believe are pretty good for the league.

Could it also be, because my team needs to gel, I have only played a few games and I signed about 12 players in the off-season.

I simply don't understand how wing play is much improved in FM2010. In FM09 I used to play through the middle, because I couldn't get guys like Amauri, Drogba, Trezeguet to score any headers, despite great service from the wings. Defenders used to win headers with amazing consistency, so I played through the middle with good off-the-ball/anticipation poachers that got me 30 goals a season.

Any suggestions and tips on my situation and the new match engine would be appreciated.

Sorry for such a long post.