Hyphron

Reaction score
What Im trying to achieve:

I have just started a save with QPR and am attempting to create my own tactic for the first time after previously using plug and plays. I wanted to play a 4-2-3-1 with the following ideas in mind:

Centre Backs on Defend - Nothing special, just there to do the job.

Full backs on Support - I want them to support the build up of play and be there as an option to pass to. The reason for not using Attack is because I feel like they will leave me way too exposed at the back.

Centre Midfielder on Defend with PI's (Fewer Risky Passes) - want him to keep it simple and lay it off to a more creative player whilst staying further back to help defend on counter attacks.

Deep Lying Playmaker on Support - The playmaker of my team, want him to spray balls out wide, to the AM or try and play through balls. Also want him to be back when we are defending.

Attacking Midfielder on Attack - Want this guy in on the goals. Want him to attack the crosses that the full backs/wingers provide and also play through balls etc.

Deep Lying Forward on Attack - Want him to get on the end of crosses, hold up the ball when necessary while waiting for others to get forward.

Wingers on Attack/Support - I want these guys to be my main attacking threat. I Want lots and lots of crosses and these guys to be racking up the assists.

How I tried to Implement this:

View attachment 92557

The above is the way I setup the team in an attempt to do what I wanted it to do. First 5 or 6 games it looked positive but now I am just getting slaughtered. A lot of goals I concede either come from set pieces, or the opposition getting wide, my centre back coming out to close down and leaving me exposed when the cross comes in. I tried so much to stop my centre backs doing this by telling them to close down less etc but nothing worked. Going forward, a lot of the time we did what I wanted but it was just very inconsistent. I have thrown a lot of leads away, what I would normally do if I went a goal up and saw them go more attacking was to switch to structured and try and exploit the space when they get forward. Im not sure whether this was right or a wrong thing to do.

Final Comments

Sorry about the long post. I want to be able to understand the flaws in my tactic and whether or not im doing the right thing and improvements I can make. Ive provided as much info as I can to try and let you know what im trying to achieve. Any help would be much appreciated!

I have a few comments and questions regarding your setup:

- How do you find the link between the 2x CMs and your AM? The AM has an Attack Duty, meaning he'll get forward aggressively, maybe causing a disconnect?

- Speaking of the link, do your 2x CMs find the 2 in the middle or do they just mostly play it wide? Both the forward players have Attack Duties, so again they'll be looking to make those runs far beyond the CMs. More importantly, are you happy with that?

- Deep Lying Forward on Attack - Want him to get on the end of crosses, hold up the ball when necessary while waiting for others to get forward. How does your DLF interact with the AM? Are they not getting in the way of each other? They sound very much like you're wanting them to do the same thing.

- You mention you want your wingers to cross and the attacking players to attack crosses, but at the same time, you've reduced crosses? Why?

- Are you finding your attackers with crosses at all?

- If your centrebacks are having to step up, it's because your someone else isn't doing their job properly. So have a look at that ; it isn't your centrebacks, so closing down etc will have absolutely no effect.

- Why did you choose Counter?