Conceding too much from indirect free kicks.

LukeHebrert

Reaction score
As the title states I am conceding way to frequently from indirect free kicks.

For example I am 22 games in and have conceded 30 goals 9 of which are from indirect free kicks and 5 from corners. So almost half of my goals conceded are from set pieces.

As a Liverpool fan I find it very irritating to concede so many goals from set pieces as I feel it is so preventable, so I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the most effective ways to stop conceding from indirect free kicks.

I do have tall centrebacks who are good in the air so I don't believe that is the issue.

I'm assuming you're doing the obvious things like setting match prep to Def. Set Pieces? Tinkering with your defensive set piece setups to get the players with better anticipation, concentration and jumping reach back?

You've left out a key figure? How may set pieces have you conceded all season vs how many goals have you conceded from set pieces all season.

That ratio is important to note since if you give away a lot of them, the odds are you're going to concede form them. It points to a bigger problem in your general play defending and not your set piece defending.

Anyway. 9 set pieces goals in 22 games isn't that bad to be honest. The Guardian ran an article in 2009 saying that just under half of all goals scored in the first 2 months that season have been from set pieces, so your 9/30 (30%) is well below that figure and around the traditional average so that would suggest you're not defending set pieces badly.

It's 14 set piece goals as I've conceded 9 from IFK and 5 from corners. And 14/30 is almost 50%.

And compared to the rest of the division I have conceded the most from set pieces with the second worst conceding 9 which is over 30% less which I consider to be dealing with set pieces poorly.

However you're right about the importance of the key figure of how many free-kicks in dangerous positions and corners I have conceded however I am unaware of how to check these figures.

I have conceded the second most fouls in the league so that could be a contributing factor although Man Utd have conceded the most fouls and have only conceded 1 IFK.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're doing the obvious things like setting match prep to Def. Set Pieces? Tinkering with your defensive set piece setups to get the players with better anticipation, concentration and jumping reach back?

Ever since I noticed I was conceding too frequently from set pieces I changed match preparation to Def. Set Pieces which has seemed to have helped a bit but still conceding more than I'd like to.