Concerning trait regarding ageing stars

melia24

Reaction score
Hai thar,

I am in the year 2015 on Football Manager 2012 and I have a flurry of ageing stars, still quality players but ageing nevertheless. Thiago Silva, Javier Mascherano, Fernando Llorente just to name a few. I have been trying to offload the ageing stars since July but seem to have a big problem, I don't know if it's a bug or what. I put them all on the transfer list and offered them to all clubs, but I seem to be getting the same response everytime that I'm offering the player at a set value at 5 - 10M when is true value is 12-15M and I'm offering them out at 30M for example like I would do any other good player on the game. All three including the rest are still quality players on the coach reports, the stats are still incredible and really I should be commanding a better fee.

I was hoping to gain profit out of a difficult situation and introduce my young stars as their replacements as they are now ready for first team action. I just can't seem to offload them for a satisfactory price. If I'm offering a player out at 30M - 20M etc I don't understand why the articles believe I only want 5 - 6M for the said player. Regarding wages I have them all on like 80/90K a week but with appearance fee like 25K. That is not really the problem though because teams are still bidding but not enough. The same applies to young loan stars aged 18/19 I can't loan them out as nobody wants them, but they are quality :/.

Last edited:
Why dont you stick with them and tutor your young players for 2 years? Who would keep the team high on results, getting youngsters entering the game slowly.

This way you would get the best of both: experience and results from olders players, and a good place to start using your younger stars.

The main reason I want to sell the experienced players is to gain profit, all aged 30/31 now. My team is bulging at the moment. I have youth ready for the first team, not as good as the legends of course, but most of them are aged 19 or 20 and are ready to stake a claim in the first team. I do have other players who are 23/24 who will replace the greats, and the youngsters will fill up the squad. I am a manager who likes to sell players for large sums of money before they reach retirement age. 30/31 is usually the age I sell players, but on FM 12 I'm finding it hard to negotiate cash transfer deals at a good price. If I had interest in someone at the same age I'd be forking out 30M for the player so my players are no different.

So can anyone else help? I have a very large squad and if I can't loan young players out because nobody are interested I certainly can't keep ageing players who I would still like to sell for a good fee. Explained above... I'm offering players to clubs at 30M, the follow up article then says I'm expecting 5/6/7/8M for the player, and that's all the clubs offer.

I understand... City wants to by Hazard fro 12 M and i've payed 25 M. Why dont they pay 40 M!? he is playing better, scoring more goals, more assists and they just pay whats in his value...

My 2 cents: keep them and tutor or sell by that price. If the season continues they will get older.

Profit? I think thats against football m8, look around in RL...

The Eden Hazard situation is slightly different to the situation I'm in, I'm looking to sell the players not keep them and have dreadful offers coming my way. The value is irrelevant, I'm looking to sell my 30/31 year old players at a profit, the players in question are still top quality professionals at the top of their game so when I do offer players to a club for say 30M I should be getting real bids at a decent price, if players are underperforming that can affect values and the amount clubs are willing to offer, but these players are still performing at a really high level. The media just seem to be writing useless articles telling clubs afterwards that I only want so much for this player at a fixed price, and that is the offer these clubs keep offering which is nowhere near enough.

Is it just the way the game works? is it a bug? Or can you never get highish fee's for 30 year old players? Surely Thiago Silva aged 30 should be able to get a better fee than 10M? and I didn't offer him to clubs at 10M it's just the media in the articles saying I would be looking at around about 10M for the player, and that's what the clubs bid, nothing more.

It's strange really, especially considering the game itself states that a player's peak is age 27 to 32. Obviously after age 32 you're not going to be able to sell them for megabucks.

Nearer and nearer to the deadline I approach and the media are pretty much negotiating my valuation for me by telling every club that I could accept an offer in the region of 5 to 10 million for each player. No club will offer anything more for such good players, these are still world-class and I can't get anything for them, and it's not their wages that are the issue here. This is a matter of principle, I can't accept the offers teams are bidding. I just don't know what I should do. If I keep these players, I can't loan out the youth because nobody seems to want them and if I do sell these players I would have done so knowing that they were underpriced. Bad times to be a manager.

If anybody with the know how can help me with this that would be great. There are tons of FM regulars on here, who surely have gone through the same experience.

I've had it go both ways. £18m rate van Persie, had to let go for £10m. Signed Tevez on a free, sold him end of the season £30m, again rated about £18m.
I wondered if it's down to the good ol' laws of supply and demand - I only had Juve bid for RvP, but there were 5 in the bidding for Tevez. Either that or Juve realised I was trying to offload an aging player who was costing £100k p/w....

It definitively depends on demand. I've had a player I was trying to off-load but no one wanted him. So I played him and he did good, suddenly clubs wanted him and I got a good price.