Confused at some of the Potentials of Chelsea's Youth

I think the PA's historically have generally been very accurate. There have been notable and famous goofs (Supat Rungratsamee, Cherno Samba, Moses Ashikodi anyone?) but overall SI get things right so often it is mind boggling.

Hard to disagree with that. I have myself become aware of numerous potential stars through playing FM way before I actually heard of them IRL. I'm sure most people can relate to that. And if I'm not hugely mistaken, there have even been instances of people/teams actually using FM for scouting and football-related research (Everton, Ole Gunnar Solskjær).

With that said, I have of course also come to expect a lot of players who never really made the breakthrough. I was confident Armand Traoré would be a star left back for Arsenal, but he ended up at QPR and doesn't really seem capable of becoming a top player anymore.

But that's just the effect you get from trying to 'dissect' football players into simple numbers. You hit and you miss. In my opinion, FM have been doing a lot more hitting than missing.

I think the FM guys have got chelsea spot on because all be it these guys might win trophies at youth level but it is very unlikely more than 1 or 2 of them will actually make it at chelsea and this is the same with almost all the big teams only a few actually develop into top class players

PA of a player shouldn't be based on the team the player is playing for.
He might not get alot of playing time irl for the first squad of Chelsea, and then in FM the player will just rott in the reserves and stagnate, just like irl. If he'd get sold or loaned out he can develop.

Players from Ajax/Feyenoord w/e good youth systems shouldn't be rated higher because they have more chance to break through in the first team and then develop, than players from Chelsea. That's why i think there should be higher variance be between the -8, -9, -10 etc. Because you always know if a prospect has -9 he'd turn into a beast, while other factors also pay a role.

"What struck me was how very stingy the developers have been"

Just want to point out that it's not the developers who set the attributes, it's a researcher who'll a) be a fan of the club b) watch the majority of under 18/21 games and c) not actually an employee of SI (researchers don't get paid, they get a free copy of the game). Of course the attributes are then moderated by a head researcher and other researchers in that league to cut down on bias.

I don't have anything to add, other than that I think it's funny how nearly every Chelsea fan will say something like 'I've followed them my whole life!'