chuffy

Reaction score
Hi all

Currently playing as ipswich in the 1st season and at the moment im top of the league by 4 points and am on a 12 unbeaten streak. So it looks like, barring any major f##k ups, ill be getting promoted (approx 10 games left)
My concern is that I think only a couple of my players will be able to cut it in the prem and I don't really wanna get smashed every week! So I thought about perhaps using a contain or a counter attacking strategy.
Ive had a brief look for another thread regarding a contain strategy but couldn't find one, (pls point me in the right direction if there is one). So basically I was wondering if anyone has used a contain/counter tactic and whether it was successful or not?
Could really do with some advice as I don't normally play a defensive game.
Cheers.

I wouldn't suggest playing a contain tactic because you'll be under pressure for 90 minutes and doubt whether your team could survive this. For a counter attacking tactic I'd suggest playing a formation with 4 defenders and 2 dm's, because this way you would have a lot of players trying to ensure the opposition do not score. Then you would want 2 wingers and a lone striker for when you do attack and either an attacking mid or a central mid depending on your preferences. So basically I'd suggest going with a defensive 4-2-3-1. I have never tried this myself so may be completely wrong with this tactic, but anyway hope it helps. Also if you make your pitch as small as possible may help, due to a counter attacking tactic being a narrow tactic and wih a smaller pitch the opposition wont find it as easy to play around your team.

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice steorswe, I was thinking of using a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1 with wide midfielders instead of wingers and just smashing direct balls up the park for leigh griffiths to run onto.

And thanks kandersson, will check that out now.

How physical is the Ipswich midfield? Because if you have some tough tackling,strong centre mids then a 4-5-1 tactic on a small pitch could work wonders.

I don't think They're especially physical tbh, I cant remember off the top of my head and am at work at the moment so cant check (hate it when work gets in the way of fm!) I don't usually play hard tackling because I get so many suspensions but I'll def look into it.