Continuing his Legacy - Leading the Hibees to Europe and Beyond

HibernianBoy

Reaction score
A lot of my games have crashed previously, because of this reason I have decided, whether this game turns good or bad, THIS IS MY LAST FM10 story, I will continue making them when FM11 comes out.

I am already into my second season so I will write an update to get to the summer then another to get to where I am

The rain lashed against the window of my car as I made my way back to my apartment in Leith. I turned the radio on to the Sports Channel, and at just the right time it would seem. “And in other football news Hibs manager John Hughes got off to a winning start today at Hibs with a 2-0 friendly win over Plymouth Argyle, Derek Riordan and Anthony Stokes both scored a goal each.” I smiled as the reminder of our victory earlier today came back to me. Ever since my uncle had taken over Hibernian I had been waiting for his first game. Now it had been, and he had won it well, things looked good for him.

2 Weeks Later…

I was driving back from work when the phone rang, I picked it up looking at the number, it was my mum. I answered it and spoke calmly “Hello Mum.” I said into the phone. “Rhys, you have to come to the hospital quickly, your uncle John has been shot.” With that she hung up. I sat at the red light stunned with the news I had just been told.

I left the hospital, tears still rolling down my face, my entire body still trembling, I had never expected any of that to happen. My uncle had been in a pretty bad state when I arrived, but he had improved and had gathered enough strength to have a conversation, firstly to the Hibernian chairman regarding his replacement and secondly, to me.

The result of those conversations was, I was to be appointed the caretaker manager of Hibs for 6 months, after that period I could take the job permanently if I was offered it, or I could leave. This was my chance to prove myself to the world...

That was all a year a go, the SPL season is over, my Hibernian side finished 3rd, 9 points behind Rangers in 2nd and 8 points clear of Motherwell in 4th. I am already in talks to strengthen my attacking part of the team, my defence and midfield proved to be sturdy last season and will need little improvement, but towards the tail-end my strikers got complacent. I will need to improve that.

First however, I need to take my National side, South Africa, and host the WC with them, this is my shot at taking on one of the biggest stages of all time, lets hope the pressure dosent effect mine, or my teams performance.

In all fairness you have created 10 stories and have 90+ posts, That's about 9 posts to a story.

Despite this good luck and stick with it.

yeah, but i swear im not lying, 8 of them my game has crashed or corrupt or something, the other one i got fired, btw, do you know how i get them locked, its the one thing i cant seem to do? :(

South Africa - World Cup Adventure
south-african-flag.gif

I left the board room at Easter Road with a big smile on my face, after being given the job 6 months ago, I had now signed a new contract and was on my way in a black hummer limousine with the South Africa flag on it.

As we pulled in to the airport at London, the rest of the team where already there, well, those going from Britain, I smiled at my team, exchanged a few hi-fives before we boarded the plane, the best thing about being a young manager, is that you get on really well with your players.

Well, we are in South Africa now, just finished a training session with the lads, our first game is in 2 days against Switzerland, the pundits think we should be aiming to get respectable results here, I think a 3rd or 2nd place finish in our group is the aim then a solid performance against our knockout rivals should we progress.

World Cup Group H

South Africa 4 – 0 Switzerland

McCarthy, Mphela, Khumalo, Parker

Well, okay, ill admit, I am a bit hungover writing today, but who can blame me after that fantastic result, we weren’t expected to get anything from the match and we battered the Swiss. Roll on Chile next lads!

South Africa 2 – 6 Chile

Parker(2)

If there was ever a way to come back to reality, being hammered by them was it, we need to get a result against North Korea, we should beat them, but anything can happen as we proved only a few days ago.

South Africa 6 – 2 North Korea

Khumalo, Parker(3), McCarthy, Mphela

Well, I wasn’t partying last night, which is a surprise because most of the country was, however we have been drawn against footballing giants England in the knockout round, and I doubt our chances very much

South Africa 0 – 3 England

We done brilliantly to get here, I am being labeled a genius and we have been shot up in the world rankings, lets hope we can take this form into the ACN qualifiers and keep the momentum going, right now though I have to get back to Scotland to tie down a few exciting deals.

10 stories started in 3 months.

Make this one last or there will be a story ban.

Transfer Window Round-Up : Hibernian

In
Gary Irvine – St Johnstone – Free
Nicolas Pavlovich – Argentinos – Free
Cillian Sheridan – Celtic – Free
Mark Brown – Celtic – Free
Nacho Novo – Rangers – Free
Josh Thompson – Celtic – 450k
Lukas Jutkiewicz – Everton – 220k Ln Fee
Jean-Alain Boumsong – Free
Sol Campbell – Free
Nwankwo Kanu – Free

Out
Ian Bennet – Free
Tom McCready – Clyde – Loan
Ewan Moyes – Stirling – Loan
Graeme Smith – Chesterfield – 65k
David Love – Free
Colin Nish – Scunthorpe – 80k
Santiago Ezquerro – Charlton – 70k
Ian Murray – Southampton – 300k
Aaron Chalmers – Free
Kurtis Byrne – Morton – Loan
Mark Weir – Livingston – Loan
Scott Smith – Alloa – Loan

As you can see, a huge reshuffle of the team was taken, some bargains like Novo where just too good to resist, and hopefully players like Mark Brown can challenge current first choice keeper Ma-Kalamby for the gloves. I see this as an exciting turn in my career as Hibs manager, lets hope its succesful.

Pre-Season: Matches Taken by Brian Rice

While i was in SA my assistant Brian Rice took charge of the friendly matches, here are the results.

Hibernian 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers
Nish, Byrne
(match was played before transfers where made)

Hibernain 3 - 0 Hibernian Reserves
Novo, Bamba, Pavlovich

Hibernian 2 - 0 St Pat's Athletic
Riordan, Pavlovich

Hibernian 0 - 2 West Ham United

Some good results, and some poor one's hopefully the loss wont effect our confidence going into the Europa League qualifiers and the start of the SPL.

Hibernian 3 - 2 Spartak ZV: Europa League Qualifier Round 3
Pavlovich(2), Boumsong

Good game from the lads, hopefully we can keep this momentum going into the second round and march on to the 4th and final qualifying round.

Spartak ZV 3 - 4 Hibernian: Europa League Qualifier Round 3
Boumsong, Stokes, Miller(2)

Good display to get us through this round, particularly impressed by Mr Liam Miller in the midfield.

Hibernian 4 - 0 Dundee: SPL
Miller, Pavlovich(3)

Superb Hat-Trick from the Argentianian to give us the perfect start to our SPL campaign this season.

Catania 0 - 2 Hibernian: Europa League Qualifier Round 4
Novo, Riordan

Good performance against the Serie A side, gives us the advantage going into the next leg in 5 days time at Easter Road, can we really qualify for the Europa League?

Hibernian 2 - 0 Catania: Europa League Qualifier Round 4
Boumsong, Novo

Novo scores in both legs, but whats important is that we are through to the group stage of the competition. Draw coming Shortly

Europa League Group L

Seed 1: Juventus
Seed 2: Dnipro
Seed 3: Slavia Prague
Seed 4: Hibernian

Happy with the draw, we may be seeded fourth but with that group, I think we stand an outside chance of getting into the knockouts.

Rangers 1 - 1 Hibernian: SPL
Jutkiewicz

A first goal for Hibs from youngster Jutkiewicz gave us a point at Ibrox, something you always take if you are smart.

Hibernian 3 - 1 Motherwell
Rankin, Miller, Galbraith: SPL

A good display by the midfield, and a goal for young sub Galbraith meant we never really looked like losing this match, another 3 points closer to the top eh?

In Other News...

Kilmarnock signed Chris Iwelumo on a Free Transfer
Celtic made the biggest signings of the Transfer Market with a 9.5m move for Yannik Djalo from Hoffenheim and a 7.75m move for Burnley's Chris Eagles.

With a positive start to the season behind us I hoped we could keep it up through the next few games and prove how strong we had become.

Juventus 2 - 0 Hibernian: Europa League Group L

We conceded a late goal to make it a more gracing scoreline, we fought well and gave Juve a good run at times.

Ross County 2 - 5 Hibernian: CIS Cup Round 3
Irvine, Wotherspoon, Riordan, Stokes, Galbraith

Great results agaist RC we hammered them and they where lucky to score even once, never mind twice.

Hibernian 2 - 0 Aberdeen: SPL
Jutkiewicz(2)

Good solid win, with Jutkie getting two more goals to his name, well played by the lad.

Hibernian 3 - 3 Dnipro: Europa League Group L
Novo(3)

I am... dissapointed, we had a 3-0 lead at half time and we fell apart, not good enough in my opinion, still a superb hat-trick for Nacho.

Hibernian 5 - 1 Hearts: SPL
Jutkiewicz(3), Novo(2)

Superb victory over feirce rivals, even better that 2 new signings got the goals, proves they where good deals I suppose.

St Johnstone 2 - 3 Hibernian: SPL
Novo(2), Zemmama

Novo is in superb form and is helping as get points by himself, I knew he would be a bargain signing.

Hibernain 6 - 3 Slavia Prague: Europa League Group L
Zemmama, Novo(3), Jutkiewicz, Stokes

Wow, just wow, didnt expect this at all, we are really proving we can compete in Europe this season.

Celtic 2 - 1 Hibernian: SPL
Galbraith

Celtic are just too good for us, they ran us in circles and the lads are exhausted, we have no chance in the league cup against them in 3 days.

Celtic 5 - 1 Hibernian: CIS Cup Round 4
Novo

What did I say, they smashed us apart, they are a top team and are proving it, they have better staff, facilities and more money than us and it will be years before we can compete with them.

Hibernian 4 - 1 Kilmarnock
Zemmama(2), Novo, Pavlovich

The hidden gem Zemmama strikes again while Nacho Novo adds another goal and Pavlovich comes back from Injury, scores, and gets injured again >.>

In Other News...

Novo picked up Player of the Month for October.
Jutkiewicz picked up Young Player of the Month for October.
I was runner up to Tony Mowbray in Manager of the Month.

Good start mate, some good results and signings, keep it up :D

With a good win over Killie behind us we travelled to Slavia Prague for our 4th game of the Europa League Group Stage, a must win game to hold our chance at securing 2nd Place.

Slavia Prague 0 - 2 Hibernian
Novo(2)

A very good result, proving we are worth more than anybody gave us credit up, but now back to domestic competition where we have to keep our focus and keep up our good form.

Hibernian 3 - 1 Falkirk
Miller, Jutkiewicz, Boumsong

Well played by the lads, good to see us keeping our head as we look to challenge the old firm, aswell as new rivals Dundee Utd.

Hibernian 1 - 1 Rangers
Novo

Novo scores a late goal against his old club to give us another good point and we will take every one we get.

Motherwell 0 - 1 Hibernian
Jutkiewicz

Something is up with players scoring against their old clubs, not that im complaining eh?

Dundee 3 - 4 Hibernian
Stokes, Boumsong(2), Novo

2 Headed goals from Centreback Boumsong helped us defeat Dundee in a nervy encounter.

Hibernian 1 - 2 Juventus
Pavlovich

Heart-broken to conced in the 87th and 90+3(of +2 minutes >.>) to lose to Juve, a spirited performace never the less.

Hibernian 3 - 2 Hamilton
Novo(2), Evans

That man again, Nacho Novo, who has been a brilliant signing on a free.

Dundee Utd 4 - 2 Hibernian
Campbell, Riordan

Hibernian 1 - 4 Dundee Utd
Pavlovich

Battered as usual by Dundee Utd, past 5 times ive played them ive suffered heavy defeats.

Dnipro 0 - 4 Hibernian
Galbraith(2), Wotherspoon, OG

Brilliant, we hammered them to go through to the first knockout round of the Europa League, further than we couldve ever expected to get.

Europa League 1st Knockout Round
Scotland vs Norway
Hibernian vs Rosenborg

Hibs where today drawn against Norwegian side Rosenborg, in an interview following the draw Nelson had this to say.

"Rosenborg are a good side, but they are not unbeatable like I would have rated a lot of teams, I think with 2 performances we can go through to the 2nd knockout stage."

However it would seem that is as far as they would go seeing if they do see of the Norwegian side, they will either face English Giants Liverpool or Dutch Superpower Ajax.

Novo is doing a cracking job for you.. Shame I hate him with a passion :p.. This is good, keep it up

There's only one Nacho Novo !
He said Nooooooooooooooooo,
To the provos !
He said no thanks
Your a bunch of wanks !
Walking in a Novo wonderland

He is a legend :D I miss him :'(

Nice story by the way, keep it up, some good results there !:)

hibernian%20fc.jpg

End-of-Season Update

Final League Position: 4th
League Cup: Quarter Finals (Knocked out by Celtic) (5-1)
Scottish Cup: 5th Round (Knocked out by Celtic) (2-0)
Europa League: 2nd Knockout Round (Knocked out by Liverpool) (8-3)
Fans Player of the Year - Nacho Novo
Managers Player of the Year - Nacho Novo*
Managers Young Player of the Year - David Wotherspoon*
SPL Writers Player of the Year - Nacho Novo

* - My own personal awards, not real in game awards.

South%20Africa%20Flag.png

South Africa 2011 Update

Ecuador 4 - 3 South Africa - Friendly
OG, Parker, Chabangu

Unlucky to concede late to lost the match, we put up a good fight though and im pleased with our playing.

South Africa 6 - 1 DR Congo - ACN Qualifiers
Evans, Chabangu, Parker, Mofokeng, Khumalo, Dikgacoi

As expected,a routine trouncing of a pretty poor side, good to see young starlet Mofokeng of Porto (on loan at VVV-Venlo) getting of the score sheet.

Botswana 0 - 5 South Africa- Friendly
Mofokeng, Mokoena, Parker, Khumalo(2)

Good result to keep the confidence high and hopefully keep our momentum going.

South Africa 3 - 1 Namibia - ACN Qualifiers
Mokoena, Mofokeng(2)

Good solid win to put us in prime spot to qualify from the group as expected.

Group B

South Africa - 12 Points
Namibia - 6 Points
DR Congo - 3 Points
Chad - 3 Points

Ukraine 1 - 0 South Africa

Ukraine done shockingly well in the world cup, so to get a 1-0 loss only against them is great.

Equatorial Guinea 0 - 4 South Africa
Mofokeng, Vilakazi, Moriri, Parker

Played a few retiring players, or players who where getting a bit old, kind of like a 'swan song' for them I guess, still a good performance and a good result.

World Rankings

When I Took Charge: 91st
Lowest Since I took Charge: 99th
Highest Since I Took Charge: 39th
Current World Ranking: 49th

In the Next Update...
Hibernian Transfer Window + First Month or so of Results +
Other News for Club +
Upadate on next SouthAfrica ACN Qualifier

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 02:59 AM ----------

Grasshoppers vs Hibernian

As the team coach pulled outside Letzigrund stadium, Zurich The team seemed to have an energy about it that we had missed going into the tail end of last season. The atmosphere in the dressing room was the same, everybody seemed ready, even Nacho Novo who had been left on the bench following some poor performances in pre-season.

I looked around at the players and smiled at them all "Lets go show them we mean business" I said before leading them out to an absoloutely rocking stadium. I heard the announcer speak "And here is Rhys Nelson leading his Hibernian team out." as he finished the stand to my right errupted, I was delighted to see all the fans that had travelled to watch us here in Swizterland.

The mood didnt last however as only 4 minutes in and we where 1-0 to a Baldovaliev goal. 13 minutes later and Grasshoppers had doubled their lead through Gonzalo Zarate., I sat with my head in my hands wondering what to do, then, 3 minutes before the break Zarate scored another leaving the away fans stunned.

As i entered the dressing room, Liam Miller approached me and whispered in my ear that he needed subbed as he couldnt keep up with the Grasshopers midfielder Thiago. That was only one of 3 changes I made, as I subbed of Liam, Derek and Lukas (Jutkiewicz) who had signed on a free in the summer for Merouane Zemmama, Nacho Novo and Daniel Galbraith. I had to hope they would come up for us.

8 minutes after the restart... and "Here is Anthony Stokes he's lost his defender, what can he do here, he squares it for Nacho Novo... GOAL Grasshoppers 3-1 Hibernian, Hibernian have clawed a goal back", and then. "Hibs are looking a lot more positive here, speaking of positive its the goal scorer Novo on the ball now, he uses his skill to go past his man, he is in the clear GOOOALLL Grasshoppers 3-2 Hibernian, are we on for a comeback here from the Scots.

But all did not go to plan, Zarate won a penalty before scoring it to complete his hat-trick but our CB Boumsong scored 2 minutes later from a corner, leaving the score 4-3 to them. Then a ball flashed across the 6 yard box was powered in by Josh Thompson to equalise only for us to lose out 2 minutes from time, but giving us a healthy way into the next round.

I smiled at the boys and said "We may be behind but we are more than out, fantastic second half lads, absoloutely brilliant."

As it turned out, the second leg did go as planned as we won 1-0 (Wotherspoon) and proceeded to the next round where we would face...
1000000842.jpg

What do you think of the new layout? obviously wont be as long for all games, just though that such an epic game deserved a match report like that :)