Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering, do others sometimes find players 90% of the time make unreasonable contract demands when you want to sign them?

I'm West Ham so I don't have the best budget due to debts and I ideally want to lower that, I've tried to sell some players to lower that, but then whenever I want to sign someone, I'd say majority of players want their wages to increase by almost 10k a week or if they are in a lower division they want to see it jump even higher.

Do you do things to help cancel this out? Be it through bonuses or signing on fee etc.?

As I really want to lower this overall but it is making it tough!

Negotiate. I've had players drop their initial demand by 30-40% just by negotiating. Other times you have to pay or leave it.

Also, if a player isn't really that interested in coming to your team, he might have higher demands to make it worthwhile for him to come.

That's just football.. In most cases it's the agents that make the demands. One way I combat it is by offering the agent a little bit more.

I had an agent demanding £32k p/w for a player last night but we had a maximum wage of £17.5k p/w to offer, I kept negotiating and got them down to £24k p/w and he wouldn't drop any further, I gave him an extra 10k on his fee and the deal was done at £17.5k p/w.

Try lining the greedy little bastards pockets with an extra incentive, often works for me!

It also depends how well paid your other players are. They'll compare their salary with others and their contract status (eg. rotational player, first team etc.) So when your current salaries dont match up with the role they play in the squad it will be really hard to sign players on a low salary.

Thanks guys, I guess one thing for me to look at first up is salaries for players roles as I guess that could be bumping it up first off as they may be on backup or rotation yet earning a lot of money. Will try being a little more persistent with negotiating too as I tend to give it two or three and then either give in or give up depending on how much I want the player.

The agent fee I've often noticed causes a big sway in the decision though!

Quick tip....landmark goal bonus.....works like a charm for everyone other than a striker and/or players that will score 20-30+ goals. Jack that up to it's maximum and also any other bonuses that do not affect the wage budget when you adjust it (you can see this when you click on them and they will or won't affect the budget).

If you are a top-flight team, then offer them a releaseclause on 0 in case of relegation :)

Quick tip....landmark goal bonus.....works like a charm for everyone other than a striker and/or players that will score 20-30+ goals. Jack that up to it's maximum and also any other bonuses that do not affect the wage budget when you adjust it (you can see this when you click on them and they will or won't affect the budget).
Thanks for the tip! Will try to use this more, I didn't know you could see which ones affect your wage budget so that is a big help!