Alex

Andre Villas Boas <3
Reaction score
I've not really posted here for a while, but have been a member for some time. I quite like having discussions about tactics and what makes people tick, so really just wanted to have the following discussion;

Controlling football or counter attacking football? I'm not talking about just the tactic mentality, I mean all round play.

As a manager, do you like to see your side play possession based, controlling and penetrative football, or do you prefer the excitement of a fast paced, counter attacking game?

Whilst as a football spectator, I'd argue that it's more exciting to watch a counter attacking based team, as a manager I always strive to wear the opposition down through possession based football. Would be interested to know peoples thoughts.

Got to be counter. Currently playing a rigid 4-4-1-1 as Palace in the third season and I've only just moved from counter to standard, but my play is still based around quick transitions down the flanks and a big man - a 34 year old Zlatan in this case! - up front. Control is cool and all, but I prefer having a team that can absorb pressure and then spring a lethal counter than just endlessly recycle the ball in midfield.

Got to be counter. Currently playing a rigid 4-4-1-1 as Palace in the third season and I've only just moved from counter to standard, but my play is still based around quick transitions down the flanks and a big man - a 34 year old Zlatan in this case! - up front. Control is cool and all, but I prefer having a team that can absorb pressure and then spring a lethal counter than just endlessly recycle the ball in midfield.

Completely understand Nicholas. Obviously I see the benefits, but I suppose a lot of it is down to opinion. I much prefer the controlling style of play, as long as strikers are making penetrative runs to actually give the possession an attacking purpose.

I am exactly the same as you. I think counter-attacking football is better to watch, but I prefer to have a team that dominates possession. However, I believe that - when done correctly - counter-attacking football is the most effective kind. You can dominate possession and pass it around as much as you want, but often it is harder to score.

I prefer Counter-Attacking football over controlling. Not the "Sit back and hope for the best" type, but high pressing, winning the ball high up the pitch and quick attacks to catch opposition on the break. As a viewer (and a Chelsea fan), I'm currently not quite liking the Counter-attacking Chelsea's playing, it doesn't seem exciting at all, even though I was a big fan of Mourinho's previous Counter-attacking system. I don't quite like possession based football, I do like to dominate possession but not Tiki-taka like.

Counter counter counter. I switch to counter when

1) winning by 1+ goals from 75mins on
2) winning by 2+ goals from second half.

60% of the time it works every time :D

Last edited:
I cant get counter to work in the true sense of the word. That is sitting deep, absorbing pressure and transitioning quickly. It only seems to work for me in the aggressive sense. That is pressing high and winning the ball before springing the counter high up the field. I just get hammered in every sense when trying to draw even the weakest teams in to me. I agree with W4nker in that its a very handy mentality to introduce second half if leading but as a gameplan the ME doesnt seem to grasp it.

i think counter is better because of soild defense and with attacking methods u can score 2 or 3 goals

i like 2-0 than 6-4

Could you upload this mate? Trying myself to get a system and cannot make it work.

More direct passing
Pass into space
Tempo - Quick

Must i say more?

Could you upload this mate? Trying myself to get a system and cannot make it work.

Thing is, I never tailor my tactics to be plug and play because I don't upload tactics, and as a result your mileage may vary when applying them. I always create a new tactic ground up to fit my team, and since they're quite specific I don't think me just giving you mine will work out well for you; ****, it didn't for me in my alternate file.

More direct passing
Pass into space
Tempo - Quick

Must i say more?

Basically this. I usually go Rigid/Counter, More Direct Passing, Quick Tempo, More Disciplined, Hassle Opponents and Tackle Harder, as a general guide.

I like old Italian style control of the grands in Italy. Slow tempo, pass here, pass there. When defending get back and press from your half. Take the ball, spread slowly, take your time. By the end of the game nobody has scored but your team is fresh and scores a late goal. Always have in the team 1 or 2 magicians (Boban, Totti, Del Piero, Pirlo, Rui Costa, Zeedorf, Baggio, Zidan, Maradona and etc) with the ball to give some good pass, cross or shot (from open play or corner, free kick) and score a random goal. But meanwhile the defense should be the best in the world - Maldini, Baresi, Costakurta,
Canavaro, Cafu, Aldair, Candela, Nesta... you name it. Ah and do not forget the excellent number 9 - İndzagi, Treziguet, Ronaldo, Vieri, Crespo... and the old dogs, Chiesa, Cassiragi, Viali ... etc.

So much football romance in that post!

Thing is, I never tailor my tactics to be plug and play because I don't upload tactics, and as a result your mileage may vary when applying them. I always create a new tactic ground up to fit my team, and since they're quite specific I don't think me just giving you mine will work out well for you; ****, it didn't for me in my alternate file.

Basically this. I usually go Rigid/Counter, More Direct Passing, Quick Tempo, More Disciplined, Hassle Opponents and Tackle Harder, as a general guide.

Thankyou for your reply, it is your perogative to not upload so no problem! :)

Using what you have as a "General Guide".. how would you say the following would go as a shape?

GK: Goalkeeper (Defend)
RB: Full Back (Support
CB: Limited Defender (Defend)
CB: Limited Defender (Defend)
LB: Full Back (Support)
RM: Winger (Attack)
CM: Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend)
CM: Box to Box Midfielder (Support)
LM: Winger (Attack)
CF: Target Man (Support)
CF: Advanced Forward (Attack)

What do you do about closing down, marking, tackling, defensive line etc? I've tried everything to make an effective counter attacking system but always fail. It seems to me that leaving pacy players forward to capitalise means that the AI over compensates and always leave about 4 men back so counter attacks always break down. Ive even tried an experimental system where I use pacy players but give them roles that mean they drop deeper when not in possession in order to draw them out more but still no joy.

I've not really posted here for a while, but have been a member for some time. I quite like having discussions about tactics and what makes people tick, so really just wanted to have the following discussion;

Controlling football or counter attacking football? I'm not talking about just the tactic mentality, I mean all round play.

As a manager, do you like to see your side play possession based, controlling and penetrative football, or do you prefer the excitement of a fast paced, counter attacking game?

Whilst as a football spectator, I'd argue that it's more exciting to watch a counter attacking based team, as a manager I always strive to wear the opposition down through possession based football. Would be interested to know peoples thoughts.

I don't really know how to setup a proper counter attacking tactic. I think you need more and good defensive players, and endure pressure for most of the match. I have tried playing like that, but no matter what, I always conceede, even if I win. So for me, attack is the best defense. Limit opposition shots on target if possioble to zero, that's my aim...