skywalkz

Reaction score
I've been playing Football Manager for a while now dominating my leagues and winning, but I'm . struggling to get a midfielder who dominates or controls a game....is this down to the ME or just not possible.

I'm trying to recreate zidanes 2006 vs Brazil type performance, just a midfielder to control the game, I'm open to any role suggestions, I'm aware we'll never be able to create it down to the bone but I'd love to have my midfielders have more influence on the games, my strikers and wingers are banging goals for fun at this point.

I open play narrow and through the middle, or play wide to create space in the middle but still the midfield is not as involved as i want them to be.

Thanks for your time.

Define "control the midfield".

Define "control the midfield".

just dominate, passes, dictate tempo, perhaps get a man of the match display...like i say think Zindane vs world, or a Debruyne in the current city, or Luka Modric.

i've tried all roles,AP ( A ) ,AP ( S ),CM ( A ) , RPM, the game seems to bypass the midfield completely most of the time or they don't really have an impact on the game.

pogba doesn't do much for me just would like a stat upgrade for them really lol or play through midfield more. im aware what im asking for is relatively vague

Well, its not simply down to the role and duty you choose for a single player. Its how that role and duty fits in with the rest of the tactic.

What allows a player to control the midfield? Space and options. You need to make sure that the player has space to get the ball, control the ball, and pick a pass. And they need to have good options. This comes down to the formation you choose, the roles and duties around them, the Team Instructions, and even the opposition. If you are United (since you mention Pogba), you will face a lot of sides with a defensive approach who sit deep. That means you are going to have to work to find ways to break that low block down, meaning you will end up with a lot of possession around that low block, not thru it. You may find the MC or even DM role is better for that controlling midfielder because an AMC can be too advanced and will sometimes get marked heavily by an opposition DM.

Bypassing the midfield happens because you have longer passing, a target man is acting as a ball magnet, or your defenders and deep midifelders don't have much for passing options.

Playing narrower is just going to compress the space you have and make it easy for a team defending deep to defend against you.

Personally, I've probably the best luck with a 4-1-4-1 and one of the two central mids as a DLP-S. Lots of factors involved, but I've had matches where they had over 150 touches.

Last edited:
just dominate, passes, dictate tempo, perhaps get a man of the match display...like i say think Zindane vs world, or a Debruyne in the current city, or Luka Modric.

i've tried all roles,AP ( A ) ,AP ( S ),CM ( A ) , RPM, the game seems to bypass the midfield completely most of the time or they don't really have an impact on the game.

pogba doesn't do much for me just would like a stat upgrade for them really lol or play through midfield more. im aware what im asking for is relatively vague
In addition to a very good post, you still don't seem to have an idea of what "just dominates" is? Or you're not explaining it very well.

Dictate tempo is easy - there's a PPM for it. In the shorter term, a playmaker can have some freedom to do something different. If you want passes, what type? Someone like Modric (mostly at Spurs still) didn't get a lot of assists (not as many as you'd expect) because he usually fed the players getting the assist.

Looking at the roles you mentioned, they are quite different, especially looking at the AP/S vs CM/A. One is going to sit and drift around, also coming toward the ball carrier to assist, while the other offers a lot more penetration with aggressive forward runs and goal scoring potential.

If the game bypasses the midfield, it will be because you're letting it - you're not setting the player up to "dominate". The other roles need to be set up around this player to give him the time, space and options to do so.

I have a question about this as well. Do you guys have any advice how to get 100+ passes from a player consistently with him being only playmaker (DPL OR AP)?

I have a question about this as well. Do you guys have any advice how to get 100+ passes from a player consistently with him being only playmaker (DPL OR AP)?

Pretty much exactly what has already been posted - choose a formation that suits that approach, ensure the TIs fit, and ensure there are roles around the playmaker to provide constant passing options.

A really top heavy formation that tries for vertical passing options is rather obviously counter to that and doesn't fit.

Pretty much exactly what has already been posted - choose a formation that suits that approach, ensure the TIs fit, and ensure there are roles around the playmaker to provide constant passing options.

A really top heavy formation that tries for vertical passing options is rather obviously counter to that and doesn't fit.

I'm really bad at making tactics, can you simplify a bit it for me?

If it were me, and I am by no means an expert, but when shopping for a midfielder I would look at his 'Key Passes' stats.

As I understand (have not had this confirmed) but key passes are passes that open up a CCC or half chance, or a pass that leads to an assist.
Also, as has been said, the "Dictates Tempo' PPM

'Off the Ball', Anticipation and vision would also be good attributes I'm thinking, off the ball and anticipation means he will find space to get into to receive the ball, giving him more time to control the pace (slow it down/ping it off quickly) and decision-making is often better when given time.

If you can find a player like that, you then need to build the tactic and team around his abilities to enable him to use his strengths. Players that will feed off him need to be able to give him options to pass to - so again off the ball and anticipation attribute, along with maybe pace/acceleration.

My thoughts, hope they help.

I'm really bad at making tactics, can you simplify a bit it for me?

Not sure how much more I can simplify. You don't have to be a tactical guru - I'm certainly not - but you do have to stop and actually think about what you are trying to do and what helps you accomplish that.

The key problem with the OP question here is, as WJ points out, lack of clarity on what "dominating the midfield" means to that person. You asked about having a lot touches and completed passes. But to someone else, that domination could be someone who attempts a lot of thru balls, creating some CCCs and probably some goals. But it could also be a Kante style ball winner, or someone who picks up the ball deep and drives forward.

You need to look beyond the player or the role. You need to think of a tactic as a whole, with specific aims and structures. And "controlling the midfield" - whatever that might mean to you - needs to result in goals and wins, or its rather aimless and pointless.

If you want someone who is control the passing from the center of the pitch, you are generally looking for a possession game. So think about what that entails. Are possession-focused teams typically smashing 40 yard passes up to a target man? Are they relying on dribbling at defenders? Are they racing at goal full speed, a la Klopp's Dortmund? Generally, none of those. A typical possession side is going to be slower paced, rely on passing to move the ball, and generally not all that risky. You don't want a total extreme or you end up with completely gutless possession and no way to get the ball into the box - a la United under van Gaal.

So think about your formation. Do you want a lot of players forward in a top-heavy formation? Does having 3 forwards or a forward and two high wingers really help that much with controlling the ball? You need to make sure your players have passing options, and especially the playmaker you want controlling things. Narrow, 3 striker formations are popular - but do they logically seem well suited to hanging onto the ball in midfield? Do they provided nicely spaced options in all directions? Which is not to say you CANNOT use certain formations for certain approaches, just that some are more suited and that will make things easier.

When it comes to mentality, do you want high risk? Do you want the players moving at top speed? You can be very attacking without resorting to more attacking mentalities.

Team instructions... again, just look at what you are trying to accomplish and what the TIs do. I don't even tend to use TIs that a lot of people would for possession - Retain Possession (because it blunts attacks a bit) and Shorter Passing (because it restricts options) are not necessary if you set things up well and balance it.

Would something like this work?
View attachment 1153890
No reason it cant work, but you need to test it and tweak it.

Curious why you have every Team Instruction, tho. What purpose does each of them serve? Did you even try it without? Team Instructions are basically tweaks and tweaking is hardly effective if you dont know how the base tactic performs

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

No reason it cant work, but you need to test it and tweak it.

Curious why you have every Team Instruction, tho. What purpose does each of them serve? Did you even try it without? Team Instructions are basically tweaks and tweaking is hardly effective if you dont know how the base tactic performs

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Well that's the tactic I've used for over 4 seasons and rarely, if ever, any of my players had 100 passes. Thats something I'm trying to do without having a playmaker in every position in midfield, and I'm failing. Its always around 75-80.

Thought process with those instructions are simple, they all help with passing and having more possession. And yet my players are not capable of doing so without having 5 playmakers in team. Result wise, I'm doing really good. Thats not the problem.