Convos about a players future intentions

Akuthia

Reaction score
So, with most players, if you're looking at their future plans, it's relatively easy to know what to talk about with them. If it says they want to get into to coaching to be a head coach, you suggest that. However, I have one situation that isn't so obvious. I've got a player that wants to get into coaching with the goal of getting into management. What selection is supposed to guide a player in that direction?

Ok So I'm working on testing this a bit. I've gone through 3 players, all 3 want to get into management. First one i suggested scouting (seems the most management like to me, thinking of scout-head scout-head of player development sorta thing) He told me to F off, thats the furthest thing from his desires. Next two, I suggested head coach, and both came away with positive results, one said "thanks for recognizing my talent" or something similar, the other said "i can get started now if you want".

Ok So I'm working on testing this a bit. I've gone through 3 players, all 3 want to get into management. First one i suggested scouting (seems the most management like to me, thinking of scout-head scout-head of player development sorta thing) He told me to F off, thats the furthest thing from his desires. Next two, I suggested head coach, and both came away with positive results, one said "thanks for recognizing my talent" or something similar, the other said "i can get started now if you want".

No offence, but isn't it obvious that you would offer coaching if they said they wanted to 'get into coaching with the aim of getting into management?"

in a way yeah but another way no because head scout is sorta like a management job

in a way yeah but another way no because head scout is sorta like a management job

No it isn't. A head scout is a scout, he does nothing to do with tactics, training, player management, transfers, etc. etc.

But the point I was trying to make was the player literally said he wanted to become a coach.

Actually, I've long had this dilemma myself. If a player is thinking of going into coaching with the long-term aim of management, and you tell him he'd make a good coach, isn't that basically telling him he's not good enough to be a manager?

On the other hand, if you say "you'd make a great manager", then he might want to go into that straightaway - which isn't good if the reason you're talking to him is because you want to keep him on at the club as a coach.

No it isn't. A head scout is a scout, he does nothing to do with tactics, training, player management, transfers, etc. etc.

But the point I was trying to make was the player literally said he wanted to become a coach.

I guess i'm thinking of it from more of an American sports point of view. To me "management" in the sports world consists of what we call "front office" type personal, and over here, those would generally be people like scouts, heads/directors of operations (like the Director of Football position), secondly, we wouldn't really designate between a desire to be a head coach, and an assistant coach, you typically do the assistant first in most sports, and work your way up

Need to remember, the manager is really a coach, not a scout or whatever but a coach! So he wants to be a coach and then be the boss (manager) long term.

So the confusion is due to terminology. Interesting.

StevenM92 is spot on, football managers are essentially the big boss coach man.

I would always ask them to think about becoming a coach. Occasionally the players who you suggest to become coaches are snapped up as managers of lower league teams, thus fulfilling their intended career path.