Copa Libertadores 2011

Dermilson

Reaction score
With the historic tournament coming up at the end of this month. I was just wondering how many people watch or take an interest in the competition. Also do you have any predictions for the champions???

My team is Santos and I believe they have a great chance this year.

VAMOS SANTOS!!!!!!!!

I am very interested in south america football. and if it the matches weren't in the mid of the night I would watch them all. I am a big fan of fc sao paulo. but they haven't even managed to go to copa libertatdores this year.

would be interested if games were on during the day, or if i wasnt married (bedtime) dont have a deep knowledge of teams, apart from the big teams. always good to see the up and coming talent

Yeah my favorite team is Independiente, but since I jumped on board recently I've never see them play in the Libertadores so it should be great. South American football these days is so unpredictable though, so it's hard to make a guess at who will win. A Brazilian team will probably take it, though Estudiantes has a shot and LDU Quito always does very well in tournaments. Too bad Flamengo didn't qualify, would have been great to see Ronaldinho.

I reckon it'll be a Brazilian winner again this year, though an Argentinian team are due a strong performance.

Everyone thinks it's Santos' to lose, but they're lucky to be in the competition and any team really has a chance of beating them. Internacional I'd rule out as well, who've been poor without Sandro and Taison. I'd put an outside bet on Grêmio as they can outscore anyone. Ronaldinho should have signed for them instead of choosing the money-option.

I cant really argue with anything in the last 4 posts..... Spot on gentlemen!!!

Yeah if any team is going to challenge the Brasilian sides it will be Independiente in my opinion. I just hope Santos dont rely on the ability of Ganso, Neymar and Alex Sandro too much.

Yeah if any team is going to challenge the Brasilian sides it will be Independiente in my opinion. I just hope Santos dont rely on the ability of Ganso, Neymar and Alex Sandro too much.

I hope you're right, although we were very inconsistent in the last torneo. I'm hoping Pato Rodriguez steps up and has a great season, he has a lot of potential but is very inconsistent. I'm excited to see Defederico come, I've heard good things about him but I've never seen him play. I'm guessing you have though...what are your thoughts on him?

The brazilian teams are dominating the copa libertadores at the moment. Only independiente or estudiantes can really beat them, but I think its due to the poor form of boca and river, that the argentinian league is weaker at the moment

The brazilian teams are dominating the copa libertadores at the moment. Only independiente or estudiantes can really beat them, but I think its due to the poor form of boca and river, that the argentinian league is weaker at the moment

It's more than just Boca and River, the whole league is in serious trouble. In the last few seasons the quality has gotten a LOT worse. There are no good teams anymore, and with two 19 game seasons, it's very hard to be consistent, especially with the amount of parity there is. All it takes is a few losses at the beginning of the year and you lose all of your momentum and the season is done. The only teams that have been consistent in the last few years are Estudiantes and Velez, and to a lesser extent, Lanus. Every other team in Argentina has been very inconsistent, and you get tiny teams, such as Banfield, winning the championship.

I think the main reason has to do with salaries. The salaries are very low in Argentina and you see a lot of quality Argentine players leaving for much lesser leagues for a bigger paycheck (Sand going to Qatar, for example). The younger generation of Argentines aren't really into soccer, and almost the entire league is based in Buenos Aires. One city can't support a league, and attendance is declining a lot I think. But Brazil is a huge country that is doing very well economically with lots of big cities, so their clubs have lots of support (I think there are a lot of clubs in Brazil with 60,000 seater stadiums, and in Argentina, only River and Racing have stadiums of that size) and good financial backing. The salaries are way higher in Brazil, meaning less players leave, and the country is so big that they produce more good players.

It's more than just Boca and River, the whole league is in serious trouble. In the last few seasons the quality has gotten a LOT worse. There are no good teams anymore, and with two 19 game seasons, it's very hard to be consistent, especially with the amount of parity there is. All it takes is a few losses at the beginning of the year and you lose all of your momentum and the season is done. The only teams that have been consistent in the last few years are Estudiantes and Velez, and to a lesser extent, Lanus. Every other team in Argentina has been very inconsistent, and you get tiny teams, such as Banfield, winning the championship.

I think the main reason has to do with salaries. The salaries are very low in Argentina and you see a lot of quality Argentine players leaving for much lesser leagues for a bigger paycheck (Sand going to Qatar, for example). The younger generation of Argentines aren't really into soccer, and almost the entire league is based in Buenos Aires. One city can't support a league, and attendance is declining a lot I think. But Brazil is a huge country that is doing very well economically with lots of big cities, so their clubs have lots of support (I think there are a lot of clubs in Brazil with 60,000 seater stadiums, and in Argentina, only River and Racing have stadiums of that size) and good financial backing. The salaries are way higher in Brazil, meaning less players leave, and the country is so big that they produce more good players.

That´s why had a robber ******* rat in the AFA, when that son of a ***** die and if the new president of the AFA is not a **** like that ***** we maybe gonna have a good league again, besides, the fat bastards Aguilar and Grondona had robbed like US$200 M from River in the last 9 years, so we had to re make our finances to go back and kick some brazilian arses.

curtis290 said:

As you said, Argentina has the same issues that the rest of South America has in retaining their young talent but with the added factor of being incredibly geographically inbalanced. Godoy Cruz look like the only team capable of challenging for a Libertadores place next year that aren't from Buenos Aires. In the long term, it might be a good thing for Argentina. As long as they keep the rolling conveyor belt of talent ticking along (the upcoming South American Under-20 Championship should reveal if it is) then they won't suffer internationally, which I'm hoping would allow for major development in the league.

Argentinian football needs investment, and not in Buenos Aires.

As you said, Argentina has the same issues that the rest of South America has in retaining their young talent but with the added factor of being incredibly geographically inbalanced. Godoy Cruz look like the only team capable of challenging for a Libertadores place next year that aren't from Buenos Aires. In the long term, it might be a good thing for Argentina. As long as they keep the rolling conveyor belt of talent ticking along (the upcoming South American Under-20 Championship should reveal if it is) then they won't suffer internationally, which I'm hoping would allow for major development in the league.

What we need is that fat south italian descendant **** to die and the ***** in charge to leave.

So far they keep on producing young talent, but we'll see how long it continues...in my experience, football is turning into a lower class sport there. The kids of the middle and upper classes there don't seem very interested. I agree with you, except that it's not just football that needs investment outside of Bs. As., it's the whole country. A third of the population lives there. The second and third biggest cities in Argentina (Cordoba and Rosario) are very small, with only about a million each depending on how you measure it, and aren't very important economically. Mendoza is surprisingly small in terms of population.

Godoy Cruz got good recently, and Tigre has had some good seasons in the past few years, but they are both small teams. Godoy Cruz was in the promotion table very recently. I doubt they will continue to have success. Anyways, these small teams that have one good season (ie Banfield) usually struggle in the Libertadores. Estudiantes should do well, and I think Velez will too this time around. Hopefully Independiente will have a good run, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If we get past Deportivo Quito, our group should be difficult, with Penarol and LDU Quito, who I think have a good shot at winning the whole thing. Godoy Cruz won't be easy either since they're an Argentine team, and they beat us 4-1 last time we played them.

They always do mate ..

Is it on tele? never watched it before but like south american football so might try and watch it.

Is it on tele? never watched it before but like south american football so might try and watch it.

Fox Sports had the rights but i dk if they show the matches in the UK.

I would love to watch it, but some matches are at 3:00 p.m, so I won't wait just to watch that match

but some matches are at 3:00 p.m
Welcome to my life. Most European matches are around 2AM my time and Champions League are 4:30AM usually. That doesn't stop me watching them ;)

OT, I watch the competition occasionally when it is on here. Although I must admit my knowledge of the clubs and players ect. is lacking. Gotta love the South American commentators though XD
Gooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p